Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zion Permit Line

Zion Permit Line

So I want to get a permit for a very popular canyon for a group that will arrive the next day assuming I have the permit; they've driven all night.

I get there early and set up my sleeping bag underneath the BC office window on the right. I'm the first in line.

I'm awoken by the sound of the other window opening and there are 10 people ahead of me.

Do I get the first permit or do I have to kill everyone ahead of me to regain my proper place in line?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Zion Permit Line

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    So I want to get a permit for a very popular canyon for a group that will arrive the next day assuming I have the permit; they've driven all night.

I get there early and set up my sleeping bag underneath the BC office window on the right. I'm the first in line.

I'm awoken by the sound of the other window opening and there are 10 people ahead of me.

Do I get the first permit or do I have to kill everyone ahead of me to regain my proper place in line?
    You'll hafta kill 'em. Welcome to Utah. There is no honor here when it comes to position in line. It's just like at the grocery store when they open another check stand. It's a land rush to be first at the newly opened register. Where you were in the original line has no bearing. I always ask the person in front of me if they'd like to go ahead of me since they've been there longer. Boy does that get some crusty looks. And don't ever say anything like, "Excuse me, I was first." The only thing that more rude than being rude is telling a rude person they're being rude.

Seriously, you should've called them out. Somebody (the ranger maybe) should have woken you up. I would have woken you up if you were in line in front of me. I don't need that kind of karma. I hope their feet got blisters or they rope burned their rappel hands or something. Freaking Utards.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

That pisses me off so much.

I was sitting in the grocery line, a long line. I'm next, and the lane opens up next to me. The cashier comes to me, yes right to me, and says "Sir, I can help you next in this lane."

I start to move my cart and some lady and her kid cut in front of me, running to the front of the line. I said something to the effect of "Oh, so that's how it works?" but no response. She ALMOST gave an embarassed grin.

If I were you bruce, I would have stepped right in front of ALL of them. And if ANYBODY had the lack of intelligence to ask what you were doing, just stare them right in the eyes and ask "What do you think?"

i totally understand the feeling of being pissed off. i can remember countless occasions of waking up @ 4:00 AM to be the first in line only to find some uninformed being camping @ the permit window. i've been canyoneering for a limited amount of time and even i know that camping @ the permit window is frowned upon by canyoneers and also isn't supposed to be allowed by the rangers. i agree that utards can be rude but nothing is ruder than camping in an area where camping is prohibited. on one occassion the campers were german, so in that instance i can rationalize the trespass.

Thanks for your inputs and your indignation but this hasn't happened yet. But that is a potential scenario when I do this in a couple of weeks.

I cannot let down the people who are traveling so I have to make sure I'm the first one to ensure the permit.

Should things be anything than normal you'll hear...."The Rest of the Story"...

Have a great canyon day.

Thanks for your inputs and your indignation but this hasn't happened yet.
    Glad that was hypothetical. Whew. Those kind of people still deserve blisters and rope burns. At least you've know what you're up against here in the fair beehive state.

I bet if you "camped out" for a couple hours right under the windows there would be no doubt as to who was first. Just stand up, throw an elbow into the monkey who thinks they're in front of you , and start talking to the ranger like nothing happened. Probably won't happen, but it couldn't hurt to hone your technique.

When I've spent the wee hours of the morning in the permit line there has always been a sort of congenial camaraderie and understanding. There's the occasional jerk, but for the most part people are cool, even if you're going to take all the spots for a canyon they wanted to do.

I think this has been mentioned before. But why dont they have an online system where you can buy and print a permit. I know, I know, novel concept right...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I think this has been mentioned before. But why dont they have an online system where you can buy and print a permit. I know, I know, novel concept right...

There is such a system. Only, its cumbersome, because I understand you have to print the permits the day before (not earlier). Problem if you're hoping to go for more than a day or two. Also, if you don't have reservations, you gotta stand in line if you want a prayer to get the "first come first serve" permits.

The biggest problem with that scenario is you won't wake up to a group of ten in front of you, you will wake up to the Washington County Sheriff telling you, you can't camp in front of the permit window. I have a long, but comical story about it that ended in me and two other guys handcuffed on the side of the road, those two getting sent off to prison for giving fake names and me getting a $50 fine for camping in front of the window. I don't recommend doing it (Well, if you do, don't come back after they tell you once not to camp there, and definitely don't give the officer fake names!)

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    The biggest problem with that scenario is you won't wake up to a group of ten in front of you, you will wake up to the Washington County Sheriff telling you, you can't camp in front of the permit window. I have a long, but comical story about it that ended in me and two other guys handcuffed on the side of the road, those two getting sent off to prison for giving fake names and me getting a $50 fine for camping in front of the window. I don't recommend doing it (Well, if you do, don't come back after they tell you once not to camp there, and definitely don't give the officer fake names!)
    Ok, we HAVE to hear this one...

I have a long, but comical story about it that ended in me and two other guys handcuffed on the side of the road, those two getting sent off to prison for giving fake names
    STORYTIME!!

Yeah, come on man! Humor us with specifics!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

How about NO Permits?

Tell me when to make a bag of popcorn. This I gotta hear.

I usually take my pad, pillow, and sleeping bag, but I don't show up until around 5:30. They've never bothered me about it, but I guess they could have if they wanted to be jerks. After hearing this I'll take a camp chair instead of the sleeping pad.

If they are going to restrict camping, they should define what camping is.

If it's simply sleeping somewhere, does this include taking a nap? What if you brought a folding chair, sat in it, and fell asleep? Is this "camping"? They should come out and say "You can't sleep here from _____pm to ______am. This way, you could show up at 5:30 am, pitch a chair, and just sit there, then you wouldn't be camping.

Since I cannot sleep very well in that camping chair, I fully intend to have my pad and bag on the ground in front of the window.

Also, since the permit I'm seeking is for the subway, all the lottery reservations have been taken (I tried but was unsuccessful) so it is the line way.

I'll watch out for the Country Sherrif.

Also, since the permit I'm seeking is for the subway, all the lottery reservations have been taken (I tried but was unsuccessful) so it is the line way.
    Oh, you can't disappoint your friends if they're expecting to do The Subway. Sometimes you've gotta be there early and sometimes people don't show up 'till just before the window opens, but you knew that. Keep an eye on the Zion permits web page in case somebody cancels. It might save you an early morning. Just last week I looked at it just to see what was popular/how fast stuff was going to see if I wanted to get reservations for the weekend before July 4th. Somebody had canceled their reservation for Mystery Canyon on Saturday the 1st and I got it.

Thanks Moab. I'll definitely keep my eye on their webpage.

Ya got to admit.... the Zion permit system sure is great for sucking all the fun out of a trip......

Standing in line the day before is a joke.

Hey Bruce.... one bonus.... and that is there is only one window they open up in the morning to sale over priced permits.

and would that be the left or the right one?