Thread: Portneuf River (Lava Hot Springs)

Portneuf River (Lava Hot Springs)

We went up Saturday just for the day. It's only about 1h 40min drive from O town.

First we hit the high dives at the swimming pool. That's in the video attached.

Then we went tubing down the river. In my opinion, this is the best river for tubing around. The river was so high and rapid, that nobody was renting tubes for liability reasons. That's our sign that the time is right!

Luckily, we managed to find the single place that was renting tubes (usually there are 5) and we got some. Here are some pics, and you'll notice the 'Fro made an appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The fro is just great! And those chicks were digging you at the pool!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    And those chicks were digging you at the pool!
    High Dives + Backflips = chicks. Don't worry, my wife was with me.

Dang it looks like I missed out on that one. How was the water, still a little cold in the river? I am going to have to make a trip up there real soon to catch the rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Dang it looks like I missed out on that one. How was the water, still a little cold in the river? I am going to have to make a trip up there real soon to catch the rapids.
    Yeah, it was cold, but it seems like it's cold all year. But it warms up once you start passing the hot springs that pour into the river.

If you go up soon, bring your own tube just in case nobody's renting.

I have to try this! We're not too far from the Portneuf.

Did your wife takes these photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I have to try this! We're not too far from the Portneuf.

Did your wife takes these photos?
    LeRoy's wife did. Just be sure you call somebody up there to see if they're renting tubes, like a motel or something.

Love the fro and the perfect shot off that small waterfall. I wish I could have been in that dual raft sitting in front, there's nothing like relaxing in the crotch of some other dudebro.

If you go just don't fall off your tube, those lava rocks will tear your back up in no time flat.

I've always thought about taking a truck up and running a shuttle service all day, $1 per person.

Yeah, the 2 man is a little gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it was a lot of fun. Next time we're going to do the 4 man for the ultimate gay fest. Slap the rainbow stickers on the bumper and bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Yeah, the 2 man is a little gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it was a lot of fun. Next time we're going to do the 4 man for the ultimate gay fest. Slap the rainbow stickers on the bumper and bring it on!
    Make sure you take the speedo's, or borrow Shane's.

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    I've always thought about taking a truck up and running a shuttle service all day, $1 per person.
    You could definitely get some business there! Just bring up a small flatbed trailer, and stamp everybody's hand for a buck. The moms would love that, when they don't have to get up and drive everybody every 30 minutes.

You should run this Fridays through Sundays, every weekend in July and August.

If you go just don't fall off your tube, those lava rocks will tear your back up in no time flat.

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Make sure you take the speedo's, or borrow Shane's.

I love the guys giving you the with da beeeeers! Like hey dude its beer thirty man... They may rip off your idea and try to score the chicks. Like damn Cletis why didn't we think of that?

Yeah, that's where I need the uutah.com sign shaved into the side of it. Either that, or a sticker stamped on the butt of my swimming suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Yeah, that's where I need the uutah.com sign shaved into the side of it. Either that, or a sticker stamped on the butt of my swimming suit.
    Lets all get white Speedo's with Uutah.com stamped across the butt

I was checking out this thread because I'm thinking of taking the family up. So it sounds as if I have to work out my own shuttle to tube the river? Is hitching back up to the car reasonable or ?????

Help out a Lava N00b....

Any motel or eating recommendations?

hey i think this constitutes another uutah(idaho) sasqueech sighting
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I was checking out this thread because I'm thinking of taking the family up. So it sounds as if I have to work out my own shuttle to tube the river? Is hitching back up to the car reasonable or ?????

Help out a Lava N00b....

Any motel or eating recommendations?

If you end up walking, it's only about 10 minutes, or under deciding where you get out of the river. If you don't have a driver, get out of the river just before the main bridge into town, before the swimming pool. Walk up main street to the "put in" at the top of main. It's not too bad of a walk, I've done it a few times.

If you have a driver, have them park right behind the swimming pool. There's a nice hot spring going into the river right there by the foot bridge. They can chill out and wait for you.

Putting in the river- Go to the top of main, just before it joins the highway again. On the right, you'll see a dirt parking lot. Get out there. Most people will be walking straight through the parking lot, but the best tubing is LEFT of them. Go as far left as you can in the parking lot, and you'll find a hidden trail through some trees. It leads right down to a 5' waterfall. This is where you put in.

motels/eating. There are about 5 little motels up there, and they are about the same, except for the ones with the hot tubs right in the room. I've never stayed in those before. There are only about 3 places to eat. This town is REALLY small. All of the motels and restaurants are within about 300 yards of each other.