Thread: Sego Canyon/Steer Gulch access to top??

Sego Canyon/Steer Gulch access to top??

Wondering anyone here has taken the trip up Sego Canyon, way past the petroglyphs to the top of the Mesa?

My Topo indicates there may be a 4x4 path to the top but I can't really tell?
    It looks like it dives off of Roan Peaks into Corral Creek.

I'd like to take that path on to Vernal is possible?

Anyone ever traveled Vernal to Moab on the dirt?
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You seem like a responsible ATV'er. I'll tell you what. As long as you really do stay on the trails, and are against cross-country travels, I will even provide beta for you when asked. I assume you are looking to stay on the road the entire time. It isn't much, but I will answer what I know on here. The only thing I would ask in return is that you report any illegal ATV use you might see in progress. Sound fair?

PS, on your way down, there is one group that is really ripping up the country just west of where the Cedar Mountain road leaves Highway 50.

Anyway, here's what I know, and it isn't that much. I went to hike Thompson Canyon in 2003. At the time there was a sign that said the land beyond the indian writings was private land, but I don't know if applied to Sego as well or just Thompson. Anyway, I haven't been on that road, so I can't say if it goes all the way, but one thing I can say for sure is that your planned route crosses part of the Ute Reservation.

To do so, you must have a permit. They are pretty serious about this, but since this is an off the radar location, there probably wouldn't be a problem, but I would get the permit anyway. I have gone to the trouble of getting them when visiting the reservation, but I'm not sure about this particular area.

Farther east there are definately roads going all the way to Vernal. Seems to be alot of new gas drilling proposals or mines in the area, so I do't know how pleasant the whole area will be in the near future.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott,

Thank you.
    I will be going that way in a few weeks and will give full report when I return.
    Thanks for the heads up on the permit.

I'd encourage you to take an aggrerssive stance on Cedar Mt. Those pinheads fear the camera so use it. I do not recommend confronting anyone directly. Just smile, wave, take pictures, get identifying info and then turn them in and grin. After they have had a visit from the county sheriff and been to court over it they will be looking over their shoulders for a long time to come.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!