Thread: Ogden area ride this Monday 6/5

Ogden area ride this Monday 6/5

I can't make it this next wednesday, the expecting wife has a Dr appt.

A few of us will be riding on Monday, probably meeting up around 6:00 pm (or attempting to do so).

I've got to be honest with you, the Southern Skyline's climb scares the crap outta me. I'm a terrible climber. (I remembered this on a simple trail like Maples Loop last night. I hope to be in shape enough to ride this by mid summer though.

The easiest trail for us to do has been the Shoreline trail, although I've been on it 20 times. It's just right there in town, and everybody knows how to get there. (22nd str TH) this isn't a final decision though

OR

We have thought about parking a truck at the Maples Loop TH, and riding all the way down Wheeler. maybe twice in one night.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Ogden area ride this Monday 6/5

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I can't make it this next wednesday, the expecting wife has a Dr appt.

A few of us will be riding on Monday, probably meeting up around 6:00 pm (or attempting to do so).

I've got to be honest with you, the Southern Skyline's climb scares the crap outta me. I'm a terrible climber. (I remembered this on a simple trail like Maples Loop last night. I hope to be in shape enough to ride this by mid summer though.

The easiest trail for us to do has been the Shoreline trail, although I've been on it 20 times. It's just right there in town, and everybody knows how to get there. (22nd str TH) this isn't a final decision though

OR

We have thought about parking a truck at the Maples Loop TH, and riding all the way down Wheeler. maybe twice in one night.

Yo, don't be scared about southern skyline, that is why our bikes have granny gears!!! I would be more than willing to just chill and ride with you guys on the climb, once you get about 3 miles into the climb it rolls and isn't too bad, I can promise you it won't be as bad as you think. Great real singletrack vrey few people and great views!!! We could just take the initial 3 mile climb to the lookout and then turn back for a screamin downhill with hairy turns!!!

I am down for whatever, but I would like to ride with you guys

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Re: Ogden area ride this Monday 6/5

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    probably meeting up around 6:00 pm.
    Heard that before!
    Hey the point is that your riding period! More than my sorry arse is doing lately.... ....well not the Mt. Bike. The point is to ride and that is what yer doin' and gathering some fine video and pictures. So hats off to ya'll.

hey accadacca check out the recent Mt bike action, I guy with a Beemer has a bike rack on the back of it with two bikes, I thought you would like to see that man, I thoiught of it when I read the issue

Sounds fun, but...

I can't make it next week either. I'm going to Wyoming camping all next week. Have fun!

If you guys are up for it sometime, I can host some rides up in Cache Valley too...Mud Flats is a nice ride, and is opening up now, and it's not nearly as steep as Steel Hollow or Jardine Juniper.
    You won't think you're so clever, when you hear thunder underground...

live2ride: are you starting at Pineview or the Divide when you talk about the southern skyline not being "that bad"? I've ridden from Pineview, and that side is really easy, but I haven't even dared try it from the Divide, I mean, it's one of the steepest established trails I've ever hiked. I'm curious now, maybe I'll try it from the Divide. Maybe tonight.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    live2ride: are you starting at Pineview or the Divide when you talk about the southern skyline not being "that bad"? I've ridden from Pineview, and that side is really easy, but I haven't even dared try it from the Divide, I mean, it's one of the steepest established trails I've ever hiked. I'm curious now, maybe I'll try it from the Divide. Maybe tonight.

Last week when I rode it I started at pineview, wentup went as far as I could to lewis peak, rode to the divide, rode back to pineview, went 27 miles, 5500 feet of climbing. I am not talking about the rode. The 3 mile climb from the divide is a burner. From pineview it took me a little over an hour to get to lewis, with one stop to fix a skipping gear. I live for climbing man. You let me know when you want to go and I would love to ride with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    first 3 miles average of 12% I would love to ride with you and listen to you say that is "really easy" I admit it is not a technical climb and is fairly quick to get up to the top. What trails do you consider hard climbs? When I ride I make it a point not to rest and to do the entire trail without stopping, my main purpose for ridding is to stay in shape and push the envelope every time I ride, and beat my previous times.

In terms of climbing and aerobic conditioning, I think you've got me beat. My asthma, even with meds, keeps me from climbing without stopping like you do. It takes me all summer just to develop into a steady climber where I don't have to stop at regular intervals to prevent an attack. However in terms of endurance, I can go all day as long as I get to stop whenever I need to. We're on the same page with riding to stay in shape and pushing the envelope every time. I do best with more of a cross country style of riding where the climbs are broken up with flat or down to keep the breathing in check, but I still love the challenge of the climb, and I use the Northern Skyline early in the season to boost my aerobic endurance. Even if my average pace is about 1.5 MPH. After 4-5 rides, I consider the first 3 miles of that to be moderate.

So I tried the Southern Skyline from the divide earlier today, and while I was doing okay until the first steep section, my freewheel broke about 1000 feet after the start of that. I was planning on going all the way to where the trail heads south up the ridgeline, or further depending on time, but riding with a broken freewheel is tricky and I didn't want to bother, so it'll have to wait for another day. I consider that side of the trail a hard climb.

That'd be cool to meet up and ride, but I don't think our riding styles are compatible. You'd be to the top and back before I even made it 1/2 way up. The asthma slows my pace down on the bigger climbs, and slows down conditioning, but I've never let it stop me from doing what I want to do.
    Mike

Lets do it!! The most important thing is that we are out ridin! I will be out of town untill thursday, but I will be game for a ride, Fri, Sat, Lets just ride man!!!

That sounds good, PM me with the details, Sat. would probably be best.
    Mike

As for those of you who want to hit the Shoreline tonight, we're meeting at 22nd street at 5:30.

I'm pissed I can't join you guys tonight cause my wheel is still busted, and won't be fixed till tomorrow.
    Mike

here's the crowd that went, with shag dee taking the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images