Thread: Better than Google Earth?

Better than Google Earth?

Thanks to FlyfishermanMike for bringing this awesome program to my attention. It's NASA's version of Google Earth (or is Google Earth, Google's version of this program?) Whatever it is it rocks. For google earth geeks this is much better for exploring the outdoors in areas that have crappy resolution. The only downside is the high quality areas are in black and white. You can switch to see topo maps of the area along with all kinds of other cool stuff. You can even explore the moon, mars, and other planets. Here are some examples of how superior the detail is to GE. For my slower connection and no 3D accelerator it's a bit sluggish, and if I want really high quality pics/maps I have to be patient and let it sit for a few minutes and load. Also make sure you turn on the 1M Ortho photos for highest detail.

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Eric.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I read the title, and thought "what is this blasphemy he speaketh", and then realized, you have a great point.

There are too many areas where GE has poor resolution, and I've seen this nasa program before. I love the color stuff, but where GE fails, this program really covers for it. Zion, and some other southern central Utah sections have dissappointed me with GE. Thanks shaggy.

Wow! Much better.....

eeek!!! 1 step closer to virtual reality. sheeeet, we may never have to actually step foot into the canyons themselves oneday

but seriously, wild wild stuff!!! most impressive.

i should just point out for the mac users, that much to our disappointment worldwind is not yet available for mac. sos.

however, if you are interested in uniformly medium-high res images of the US....in 2D....you can find them on yahoo's latest maps program

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/

Thanks Shagmeister, this looks pretty useful. I can't stand the horrible resolution on Google Earth for the Swell and other surrounding areas. You showed us that Google Earth could use the DOQ overlay images, but I just wish it could do it by default with a simple click.

I've tried Google Earth and its pretty much useless..... I'll give this new program a try. Now Shaggy do me a favor with a couple of pics I would like to see..... I found Zero Gravity using the USGS sat photos. I would like to see a pic of Zero-G using Google Earth and this new program to see if it can be used to find new canyons.

Pics of Leprechaun would be good also.

Here is Lep using the USGS sat photos
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/Files/LeprechaunSat.jpg

I'm mostly interested in a tool better then the sat photos for finding good canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've tried Google Earth and its pretty much useless..... I'll give this new program a try. Now Shaggy do me a favor with a couple of pics I would like to see..... I found Zero Gravity using the USGS sat photos. I would like to see a pic of Zero-G using Google Earth and this new program to see if it can be used to find new canyons.

Pics of Leprechaun would be good also.

Here is Lep using the USGS sat photos
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/Files/LeprechaunSat.jpg

I'm mostly interested in a tool better then the sat photos for finding good canyons.

I'm still stuck at work and might be for some time, but I'll post photos when I get a chance. I'm pretty positive World Wind pulls the sat photos from the same photo's you posted of Lep. The USGS 1 Meter Ortho maps off the terra server. It pulls the topo map info from the same place. I'll compare either tonight when I get home or after school tomorrow and post photo's for you.

Eric.

Here are some pictures of Zero G and Leprechaun. I saved some of the topo's and then some of the sat images.

Eric.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Thanks Shaggy..... After that demo I'm sticking with the overhead USGS sat photos. They appear to be much easier to read and find slots from.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Thanks Shaggy..... After that demo I'm sticking with the overhead USGS sat photos. They appear to be much easier to read and find slots from.

Looks like I'd better change my Google Earth signature.

How are getting the high def. pics? I can't seam to figure that part out???

Never mind, I got it.

Re: Better than Google Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Also make sure you turn on the 1M Ortho photos for highest detail.

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Eric.
    I'm having a hard time zooming in that close. The resolution is great, but I can't zoom in as close as I can with GE. Is there something I'm missing? I wish it wouldn't stop me when it thinks the resolution is too poor. I just want to zoom in and see the terrain, even if it's pixelated.