Thread: Exploring Grand Staircase & Capital Reef

Exploring Grand Staircase & Capital Reef

We (myself and double moo) took off at 2:00pm on Friday and headed south. We took the scenic roads on the way down and back. Winding through the small towns and canyons on 89 and others. We had planned to camp near Panguitch the first night. We ended up going to Escalante eating dinner and then heading to Calf Creek to camp. All the camp sites were full and we ended up staying at a day use area.

We were up and on the road at 7:00am and we headed for the burr trail. This is a great ride and very scenic. It turns to dirt about half way through and then hooks up with highway 12. We took that into Torrey and stopped for breakfast. Then we headed for home and got back at about 2:00pm. Fun quick little jaunt into some pretty country.

The wind was blowing like a banshee in places on the way down and back. The only rain (light) we saw was when we got back into the Salt Lake Valley about the point of the mountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It looks like it was a fun trip. And those are some good looking bikes! What kind of mpg did you get on the road trip?

Re: Exploring Grand Staircase & Capital Reef

[quote=accadacca]

So did you get any cool video from the drive? That would be nice to see.

No! The video footage sucked. For some reason I got a lot of digital dirt all over the place. Maybe 30 continuous seconds at a shot that weren't crapped up. My son says he may be able to clean it up a bit... but not likely.

And the wind.... was bad!!!! - from Draper to Panguitch blew. Best part was that the stretch on highway 12 from Panguitch to Calf Creek was not windy at all. And again in the morning from Calf Creek to the Burr Trail - Notom Trail - Torrey wasn't bad. Which means the best roads of the trip also had the best weather! After Torrey is was a lot of wind - mostly riding with it on the way home... so not as bad.

Regardless - I had a great time! Nice to get Accadacca's new blue out on the road... with him on it.

On the bright side!!! we did find 2 new restaurants that we won't return to - next time we'll know better.....

But like Accadacca noted in Torrey.... Sometimes you gotta ride the bad stuff to get to the good!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    No! The video footage sucked. For some reason I got a lot of digital dirt all over the place. Maybe 30 continuous seconds at a shot that weren't crapped up. My son says he may be able to clean it up a bit... but not likely.
    You should get yourself a helmet cam. I love mine.

Re: Exploring Grand Staircase & Capital Reef

Yeah, James I looked for your four-runner in the campground. I thought we might throw a tent down in your camp. No go! The OLD camp hosts did let us throw down a tent in the day use area. After they grumbled a bit and then bitched some more about some other people.

Fourty....I get about 52-53 on the highway. I have been getting 47-53 since having the bike. In that wind going 80 who knows! Man that wind was evil. When we went over the point of the mountain I thought the wind was going to pick me up and throw me off the bike. The wind thought my bike was a hang glider or a big kite. Good hell!