Thread: Yellowstone (Heart Lake), July 2005

Yellowstone (Heart Lake), July 2005

In the summer of 2005 I got laid off of work for a month. Rather than sit around bored I went on some trips (or one really long one ). My three weeks on the road began with a backpacking trip to Yellowstone, WY.

On this trip my two backpacking partners, Katy and Alison, and I did a circle trip around Heart Lake. Our entry TH was Heart Lake and our exit TH was the South Entrance. In retrospect, hiking all the way around the lake wasn't nearly as scenic as just passing between the lake and Mt. Sheridan would've been.

I was originally supposed to go to Heart Lake when I was in Scouts back in 1988. Our trip was shifted to a different part of the park due to the massive fires that burned such a wide area that year. While other parts of the park have rebounded quickly from the conflagration, the southeast corner is recovering much more slowly. Seeing the dead hulks of once majestic trees was disappointing, but in nature's way it was also beautiful to see this cycle of life.

Most of the pictures I took were at the numerous stream crossings and river fords we were required to take. Park managers have had most of the foot bridges removed from backcountry trails within the park. They feel this gives more of a wilderness experience. I think it's just a pain in the butt. I liked backpacking in the park better when there were bridges. The removal of the bridges has encouraged trail braiding as people search for downed trees and other opportunistic ways to cross waterways.

Our last night was the most eventful, or at least the most interesting. As I was tying up the bear bag while fighting off mosquitoes, thick dark clouds came in from both sides and I could tell they were going to close in right over our camp. I quickly tied up the bag, hauled it up the pole, and dove into the tent.

The storm was very violent. Suddenly the idea to pitch the tent under a large tree so we'd have some shade didn't seem like such a good idea, especially after a couple of FLASH/BOOM lightning strikes. Soon the storm subsided and a steady drizzle settled in.

I know that weather can do strange things to animals, so I had an ear open for anything that could step on/eat us. That's when I heard something crashing through the trees. Bear, elk, moose? It didn't matter so long as it kept on going and didn't entangle its self with us. It was that exact moment that I realized that I'd left the bear spray in my pack.

After determining that the noise was just rockfall, I got up and got the bear spray.

In the morning everything was very wet. Our campsite was above the banks of the Snake River. Our fear was that the river would be swollen with rainwater and we'd be suck since the trail forded the river at that point. The river didn't look any different than the day before, but we made fording sticks out of some driftwood anyway. All efforts to keep our feet dry were for naught. After successfully crossing the river we had our boots filled with dew from the grass. Low gaiters went on my list of things to buy then and there.

On the hike out we saw three sets of foot prints. The first creature had a curious footprint. I think it's feet actually had the word "Vibram" on the bottom. The other two creatures were of the bear variety. Mama and baby were ahead of us and going the same direction. I wasn't too concerned. We just talked loudly and made our presence known. The scary part was crossing a narrow bridge through a thicket of willows. Mamma and baby had crossed the bridge and we really hoped they weren't still there. Long story long, they weren't and we made it back to the car okay.

At the end of the trip Katy and Alison drove back to SLC and I continued on to Glacier National Park for the next leg of my adventure.

Be warned, a trip into the Yellowstone backcountry in early to mid July will result in numerous encounters with the worlds most dangerous animal. Yes, the mosquitoes are omnipresent and voracious.

We didn't see much in the way of wildlife. On the first night a mule deer buck wandered through our camp. We saw some marmots near Snake Hot Springs. In addition to the bear tracks on the last day we saw some wolf tracks that were about the size of my palm. Other than that, nothing. I guess the animals know where the money comes from and stick to the tourist areas.

It was a great trip. I love backpacking in Yellowstone. It's a truly spectacular place.
    Attached Images Attached Images                   
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: TR: Yellowstone (Heart Lake), July 2005

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    Park managers have had most of the foot bridges removed from backcountry trails within the park. They feel this gives more of a wilderness experience. ...The removal of the bridges has encouraged trail braiding as people search for downed trees and other opportunistic ways to cross waterways.
    Sometimes I don't think the rangers think about the people they are inviting to their park. Some people like bridges! I think the rangers did more harm, like you said, because more people will walk off the trail now, in search for an easier crossing.

Thanks for this post! This brings back memories from Scout Camp. We went into Heart Lake right after that fire, when the trees were still black. It was still a great place to be.

I remember those hot springs, and how a lot of them flowed into the river, making it warm.

BTW, 1 man backpackin' with 2 ladies?

So you + two chicks = moabfool is the wildernes PIMP!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Especially when one of them can do this....

[ps. nice pix, thanks for sharin']
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Especially when one of them can do this....