Thread: wetsuit rentals?

wetsuit rentals?

hey,, planning on going down to choprock in about two weeks,,,but i have a slight,,,ok ,,a big problem,,, my source for wetsuits is unavailable,,, does anyone have any good ideas where a place is that would rent the full 4mm wetsuits needed for choprock? i called a local scuba shop and they said they dont rent to canyoneers...maybe its time to purchase one..ah...hm. and has anyone done choprock lately? matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just don't tell them it's for canyoneering :)

I've rented from other dive shops with no problems, even when they knew i was canyoneering with them. Try a different shop?

ok, that is the next step i think hahahaha, "what are you using the suits for?" "well um, im going to go swimming in utah lake",,hahahah.. . im from orem as well,,, do you happen to remember where youve rented yours from before? around here? thanks!

It was actually a shop in Sandy. That's where my Dad lives, and he paid for the rentals. I seem to recall that dive shop on State st in Orem didn't have a problem with me canyoneering in their suits though. Where was it you checked? I'm surprised they even asked you what the suit was for. In a dive shop it should be obvious. You could give htem a blank stare and say, "diving, what else". LOL

I think the dive shop in the univ pkwy mall rents too...

Friends of mine have rented from Neptune Divers here in Salt Lake. Also Dive Utah in Midvale will rent suits for canyoneering. But if I were you I would just go buy one from Sportsman warehouse in Midvale (I think there is one in Orem to). $50 for a 3/2 full wetsuit.

The Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo has a crapy selection of wet suits. It is hit and miss at best. Last 3/2 full I bought was at the Midvale Sportsman's Warehouse and they had a ton of sizes and selection. Right now (as of two days ago) Provo store only had one or two XL's and one L. (See what I do for lunch break? )
    Life is Good

If you get lucky at yard sales you can find some good deals. I got a 5mm farmer john/jacket combo for $20

Sportcove Scuba in West Valley is the best I've found.

$20 for a full 5mm for the weekend.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

hey yalll... found a good place here in orem for wetsuit rentals...15 bucks for the week...so that fixes that problem.. but.. before we leave on monday, has anyone done choprock lately? just finalizing plans and such...i heard a couple tr's where people camp in "happy section", is this smart??? or should you just run the 10-14 hr canyon and start super early in the morning? any ideas or experience would be helpful.. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kamfoo
    ...i heard a couple tr's where people camp in "happy section", is this smart??? or should you just run the 10-14 hr canyon and start super early in the morning? any ideas or experience would be helpful.. thanks!
    I would recommend hiking down Fence Canyon and camping by the river (Escalante). Then do Choprock as a day hike from there. It's about 8-10 hours from Fence (probably 11-14hrs from Egypt). Camping in Choprock itself is a bad idea; I did it once. It is difficult to lug a large pack through there, and haul it (full of water) out of all of those potholes.
    nat smale

hey, thanks for the ideas ,,, thats what we decided to do at our "planning session".. were ready to roll! thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kamfoo
    hey yalll... found a good place here in orem for wetsuit rentals...15 bucks for the week...so that fixes that problem.. but.. before we leave on monday, has anyone done choprock lately? just finalizing plans and such...i heard a couple tr's where people camp in "happy section", is this smart??? or should you just run the 10-14 hr canyon and start super early in the morning? any ideas or experience would be helpful.. thanks!
    Hey where and what thickness of wetsuits? I drive through Oh-are-ee-em every day and that knowledge could come in very handy in the future for friends w/o suits

the wetsuits are 5mm full farmer johns... and we rented them in uhh.. i think its called dive world, but its in the University Mall, and it was 15 dollars for the week.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Bump

A friend needs to rent a wetsuit for this weekend. He was going to rent in Springdale but I told him to rent local. One day rental in Springdale = about a week rental locally.

Anyone know of some good spots. Found one but it's 7mm farmer john & jacket, too thick.

Thanks in advance

wetsuits Moab/Monticello/Blanding?

Does anyone know if there are places to rent wetsuits along the way from Moab to Monticello to Blanding? Looking at taking a descent through some of the wet Cedar Mesa canyons...

Since this has been bumped, does anyone know what kind of condition Choprock will be in around now? We're planning on hitting it the end of this week.
    --Cliff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejumper View Post
    Does anyone know if there are places to rent wetsuits along the way from Moab to Monticello to Blanding? Looking at taking a descent through some of the wet Cedar Mesa canyons...
    I'm sure one of the outfitters in Moab will rent em. Could try @moabmatt at Desert Hilights..
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"