View Poll Results: What style of pedals do you ride with?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clipless

14 70.00%
  • Toe Clips

0 0%
  • Platforms

4 20.00%
  • Whatever my bike came with

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of clipless pedals

I'm tired of clipless pedals

Blasphemy? Maybe so. I've got some "Time" clipless pedals, don't ask me which model. But I've cracked my ribs twice within recent years, and I've grown quite gun-shy about staying clipped in most of the time.

I'll clip in on the road, there's no better way. But on the trail, I think I'll just get some platforms. I'm constantly worried about unclipping in time if I pass another person on the trail, because if you panic, forget it -- you're screwed. Your foot comes out of the pedal when your handlebars contact the ground.

Any suggestions for platform pedals? Or would I be better off getting some $6 ones at Wal-Mart?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You could get the eggbeater mallet pedals and have the best of both worlds? Large enough to ride without being clipped in, and also would serve you well when you had to ride on the road? They have a ton of different models and I have found them very easy to get out of.

http://crankbrothers.com/mallet.php

I personally ride with the good old eggbeaters and don't know how I ever rode without being clipped in. My pedals work so well or else I am so used to them or stupid enough that I never clip out on trails, if I do I feel even more unstable and unsure?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Re: I'm tired of clipless pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Blasphemy? Maybe so. I've got some "Time" clipless pedals, don't ask me which model. But I've cracked my ribs twice within recent years, and I've grown quite gun-shy about staying clipped in most of the time.

I'll clip in on the road, there's no better way. But on the trail, I think I'll just get some platforms. I'm constantly worried about unclipping in time if I pass another person on the trail, because if you panic, forget it -- you're screwed. Your foot comes out of the pedal when your handlebars contact the ground.

Any suggestions for platform pedals? Or would I be better off getting some $6 ones at Wal-Mart?
    Yeah, I've got a suggestion...STOP CRASHING YA POSEUR! Clips (I downright refuse to call them clipless, it is a misnomer) are so much more efficient for energy transfer, not to mention riding in wet weather.

Bottomline...stop being a clip-hater and ride what ya are comfortable with!

These are my current pedals:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...545-Pedals.htm

Here is something similar to what I rode for years:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/147...lat-Pedals.htm
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

I have the Time Atac pedals and I really like them. Being skeered clipped in is all in your head. Fight the fear!! It is really ALL mental. As soon as you block it out, it will become second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Clips (I downright refuse to call them clipless, it is a misnomer)
    Yeah, in fact, just before I wrote this post I had to make sure they were actually called "clipless". Then I asked why the hell they weren't called clips.

I'd like to just try the platforms, and put the clips on when I'm road riding. I figure for $20 I won't screw myself too bad.

I really should ride with platforms over the technical stuff, until I'm skilled enough to keep my bike upright through all of it. When I can ride the spine on Wasatch Crest, then I think I'll be ready for permanent clips.

I guess the only way to get ready is to crash, get up and crash again. I think everyone will agree that the learning curve with clipless (at least Mtn Biking) involves some crashes. Some may only be at a standstill but hey at least you are out riding and having a good time!!!

The old skool pedals is why the new oness are called "clipless".

This is what my first set looked like. Way back in the day riding a Bianchi 18 speed.

Clips (I downright refuse to call them clipless, it is a misnomer)
    Yeah, in fact, just before I wrote this post I had to make sure they were actually called "clipless". Then I asked why the hell they weren't called clips.

I'd like to just try the platforms, and put the clips on when I'm road riding. I figure for $20 I won't screw myself too bad.

I really should ride with platforms over the technical stuff, until I'm skilled enough to keep my bike upright through all of it. When I can ride the spine on Wasatch Crest, then I think I'll be ready for permanent clips.
    They were called clipless because people used to call toe-clips "clips" so some hoser started calling them clipless. I always called the toe clips, toe cages actually.

If you are going to continue to ride clips, I would advise to take your cleats to a wire wheel to get them worn down a little. I just bought a new pair of shoes, and the guy asked me if I needed new cleats...I laughed out loud, and said "not on your life!" Worn cleats are to die for, new cleats you will die for (using them)....get it? Also, how "tight" are your pedals? Mine are usually fairly loose. When we are talking women, tight is good, when we are talking pedals...BAAAAAD!
    ~Jason

Those cages were nice back in the day!! My first bike was a specialized Hard Rock sport and I was excited to ride with cages (toe clips back in the day)

When I got my bike it came with the clip peddles, but I am too big of chicken to even give them a try. I ended up getting some nice big platforms to ride with. Maybe one day I will have to buck up and try em out.

Quote Originally Posted by shag_dee
    When I got my bike it came with the clip peddles, but I am too big of chicken to even give them a try.
    Did you give them back, or keep them? Cam gave his back as well and went with the platforms. Little did he know, he gave away about $90.

No I kept a hold of the suckers just incase I become brave some day. I had no clue they were worth $90, I am glad that I held on to them now.

Here you go buddy, this is all you need right here.
    http://www.monkamoo.com/Product%20Pa...hinburger.html
    You're a manly man right?

Truthfully - I've just gotten so used to my TIMEs after several years of using them that now I wouldn't ever ride without them, unless I was riding some really high skinnies or stunts, where I may regularly have to bail from the bike.

There are tradeoffs. I know many downhillers who swear by flat pedals b/c that's what works for them. Maybe they grew up on BMX bikes so they know how to stick to those pedals like glue. Nobody's going to knock you for going to flats just b/c they are flats.. but hey, on an uphill?

no question. I want to have my feet stuck to those pedals for control and power

Time pedals were my favorite "clip-in" pedals, the higher end Shimano's that came on my bike were great because of the platform but after riding Deer Valley for the first time last year I removed my clip-in pedals and put Azonic A-frame's on. Sometimes going hard downhill you want to stomp a switchback or let your bike go if necessary. I will use clip-in for the hard tail climbing bike but it's flats for the freeride.

Quote Originally Posted by shag_dee
    No I kept a hold of the suckers just incase I become brave some day. I had no clue they were worth $90, I am glad that I held on to them now.
    Good! And they may be worth more, I just subtracted the cost of the platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker

Shinburger? Exactly! I'd have to wear body armor just to step on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker

Shinburger? Exactly! I'd have to wear body armor just to step on them.
    Pimp your ride wid deez babies! No batteries needed!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2004...ie_self_po.php
    ~Jason

Nice!

But, on the other hand, I've already got all the sweet hookups for my bike...

Nice!

But, on the other hand, I've already got all the sweet hookups for my bike...
    Yeah, I almost forgot.

A guy I used to ride with on occasion always, always, always had this radio with speakers hooked up underneath this seat. People would trip out when he rode by playing Pink Floyd!
    ~Jason