View Poll Results: Which tire tube valve do you prefer?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Schrader

7 35.00%
  • Presta

9 45.00%
  • Whatever my bike came with.

4 20.00%

Thread: Presta vs Schrader valves

Presta vs Schrader valves

This is an honest question:

Can anybody tell me what the REAL benefit is to Presta valves? I mean besides the fact that they're smaller, and fit on skinnier rims.

But for us Mtn bikers, it seems like every new bike comes with the Presta valves. When I bought mine, I drilled my rims out and put the bigger Schraders in.

Schraders just seem so much more convenient. Can anybody help me out on this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DickHead

Re: Presta vs Schrader valves

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    This is an honest question:

Can anybody tell me what the REAL benefit is to Presta valves? I mean besides the fact that they're smaller, and fit on skinnier rims.

But for us Mtn bikers, it seems like every new bike comes with the Presta valves. When I bought mine, I drilled my rims out and put the bigger Schraders in.

Schraders just seem so much more convenient. Can anybody help me out on this?
    The presta advantage is from the smaller rim hole, allowing more rim strength at that location. Another plus is that the pump doesn't require as many moving parts, simply a gasket.

As Jamis mentioned, a smaller rim hole is one advantage (as far as rim strength), but also another advantage (and why they were at first used primarily for higher-end road bike tubes) is that it you can hand pump more easily to higher pressure (one problem with schraders is that, since the valve is open the whole time you're hand-pumping, it's harder to keep the pump tight on the valve). "Some" Euro road racers also think that the skinner valve has an aerodynamic performance advantage. You don't need high road bike tire pressures in your mtn bike tires, so that doesn't matter to you.

On my personal experience, tubes with schrader valves seem to lose air sitting around much faster than presta. It mostly just comes down to preference.

Also, schraders are the American standard (or used to be), and Presta is the European version. Those crazy Euros!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Like everyone said above, presta seem to inflate easier with a hand pump. Presta valves can be locked down in place and are make your tube a bit lighter. Here is a link that explains everything everyone else already has!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Only on silly narrow road rims is a compromise in rim strength due to valve drilling diameter a concern. Mountain rims are plenty wide, and generally built far stronger than their pavement-only counterparts.

Schrader valves are stronger. I've sheered-off presta valves downhilling. Never once has a schader valve suffered that fate.

With schrader, you can walk into Walmart and buy a tube. Cheap. Not so with Presta.

On my experience with three bikes, all with schrader, I've never seen excessive air loss due to valve leakage.

There's nothing wrong with presta's, but IMHO the don't seem to offer any concrete benefits for bikes meant to play in the dirt. And even for road, the argument that they're more aerodynamic is so silly it borders on ridiculous. You'd need to be violating the laws of physics to go fast enough to get a measurable difference in the coefficient of drag on a bike equipped with presta's versus schraders.

...Plus - and most importantly! - with schrader you have available a universe of cool valve caps!

Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Only on silly narrow road rims is a compromise in rim strength due to valve drilling diameter a concern. Mountain rims are plenty wide, and generally built far stronger than their pavement-only counterparts.

Schrader valves are stronger. I've sheered-off presta valves downhilling. Never once has a schader valve suffered that fate.

With schrader, you can walk into Walmart and buy a tube. Cheap. Not so with Presta.

On my experience with three bikes, all with schrader, I've never seen excessive air loss due to valve leakage.

There's nothing wrong with presta's, but IMHO the don't seem to offer any concrete benefits for bikes meant to play in the dirt. And even for road, the argument that they're more aerodynamic is so silly it borders on ridiculous. You'd need to be violating the laws of physics to go fast enough to get a measurable difference in the coefficient of drag on a bike equipped with presta's versus schraders.

...Plus - and most importantly! - with schrader you have available a universe of cool valve caps!
    You buy your tubes at Walmart? I guess if you are a downhiller you have no concerns for weight? Hell you should probably just run the thorn resistant solid rubber tubes!!

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    You buy your tubes at Walmart? I guess if you are a downhiller you have no concerns for weight? Hell you should probably just run the thorn resistant solid rubber tubes!!
    If I'm in a bind, I'll absolutely run whatever schrader tube I can lay hands on. ...Have we become so self-absorbed in our gear that the gram-counting fetish many recreational riders fall victim to extends now to something as mundane as a piece of rubber with a valve in it?

I'd be very surprised if most tubes don't come out of the same factory in China or Taiwan, so differences (expect for ultra-light latex tubes) are minor. And when you're used to running 1000-1300g tires on all bikes - including my trail bike - the extra few grams a dept. store tube carries over a top-tier Michi, Maxxis, or Hutchinson tube is inconsequential.

I spend far more time pedaling than I do riding lifts. Even so, weight is a minor concern at best. I'd rather power an extra pound in rotational weight up the mountain if it means I can bomb down the back side and not stop to change a flat every 5 minutes. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    If I'm in a bind, I'll absolutely run whatever schrader tube I can lay hands on. ...Have we become so self-absorbed in our gear that the gram-counting fetish many recreational riders fall victim to extends now to something as mundane as a piece of rubber with a valve in it?

I'd be very surprised if most tubes don't come out of the same factory in China or Taiwan, so differences (expect for ultra-light latex tubes) are minor. And when you're used to running 1000-1300g tires on all bikes - including my trail bike - the extra few grams a dept. store tube carries over a top-tier Michi, Maxxis, or Hutchinson tube is inconsequential.

I spend far more time pedaling than I do riding lifts. Even so, weight is a minor concern at best. I'd rather power an extra pound in rotational weight up the mountain if it means I can bomb down the back side and not stop to change a flat every 5 minutes. YMMV.

Rotational weight is the key, I always buy ultralights; however, if you are going to get a puncture regardless if you went with the ultralights or standard tubes you are still going to get a flat. ( I have only had 2 flats this year (so far) and the other people I ride with use normal tubes and get more flats than me. What does that mean? I am a little more lucky! Unless you are running stans or a solid tube, if you ride down trails you have to change a flat every 5 minutes your screwed either way. I do like the comment you made on cool valve covers, that is true

Is this the tube that you run?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3636434

If rotational weight doesn't matter why not run that tube

I'm surprised there were so many responses about the Presta valve. For 5 years, I've never heard any of the benefits.

Although, in my other thread, I mentioned I haven't had a flat in 5 years. This also includes the bike sitting in the garage over the winter. Some say that the Schraders will lose air faster because of the spring valve. But I probably only put air in my tires once a year (sometimes not at all!)

Maybe I've just got really good Schrader valves in my tubes. I find the convenience great as well. If I'm road riding and need some air, I can just stop at the gas station. Plus, SprungShoulders mentioned the caps.

And I haven't seen any weakness in my rims from drilling them out. They've never even been bent.

presta has caps too.

Basically, the Europeans kick our ass at anything cycling, so..

Its kinda like us Americans with our stupid feet, inches, and everyone else with the metric which is so much simpler.

Also, presta has the little nut which holds the valve so it can't slip back into the rim when you try to put the pump on it, like schraders can do. In my opinion, presta is just easier, lighter, but I do agree they will sheer off more easily.

Is this the tube that you run?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3636434

If rotational weight doesn't matter why not run that tube
    Darn. 16 and 20" wheels only.

And I never said rotational weight doesn't matter. It matters if your paycheck and/or sponsorship boils down to 1/100th's of seconds. For the normal Joe/Jane - and I include most recreational racers in this category, myself included - an extra 50, 100 or even 200 grams means jack. IMHO, of course.

I actually run standard schrader tubes in 2- or 4-ply casing tires. I've found that running thick tubes in thin-walled tires produces many more pinch flats than thin tubes in thick tires. The only time I'll run DH tubes and tires is if I'm going to be racing on a particularly high speed, rocky course....or at Whistler.

...And everyone knows that skull valve caps make you faster. So of course schrader is the only choice for gravity riding....

I had to vote for Schrader's. The funny thing is if I would have seen this yesterday I would have voted for Presta's. But today changed my mind, We were bombing down The Black Dragon and I blew my front tube. That was no big deal, but after I changed my front tire and was airing it up and when I was removing the pump I bent the the little threaded brass screw on the Presta valve and could not close the valve. Luckily I had the little brass adapter and a Schrader valve cap and it was able to hold air for the rest of the ride. This has changed my mind about Presta valves. Just my $0.02
    SUWA Hates you, JUST SAY NO TO SUWA
    "Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared". Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    presta has caps too.

Its kinda like us Americans with our stupid feet, inches, and everyone else with the metric which is so much simpler.

Also, presta has the little nut which holds the valve so it can't slip back into the rim when you try to put the pump on it, like schraders can do. In my opinion, presta is just easier, lighter, but I do agree they will sheer off more easily.
    Two words for you Ross, Lance Armstrong.

Too much eurotrash love here for me.

Schraders4life!!!!
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I find the convenience great as well. If I'm road riding and need some air, I can just stop at the gas station.
    As someone already mentioned, you can pick up a little brass adaptor/cap from any bike shop that will allow you to use the air pumps at the gas station with presta valves on your bike.

James

Hells Bells!! If your argument is that using a pump is easier with a presta valve. Who the hell spends all their time with a pump on their wheel? I put liners in my tires and I rarely get flats. I also agree that the presta stems are fragile. I also prefer a universal stem and valve that can be bought anywhere 24/7 and no F'in pump attachments. Drill those rims and go american baby!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Hells Bells!! If your argument is that using a pump is easier with a presta valve. Who the hell spends all their time with a pump on their wheel?:
    If you are referring to my prior statements, I was only saying that they presta valve can be easier to HAND pump to a HIGHER pressure than a schrader, such as used for road bike tires, not mtn bike tires. Roadies mostly have a CO2 cartridge anyhow. You are not always around a gas station.

It's everybodys own money, so buy whatever suits your fancy. If schrader has been working for you for years, then by all means use schrader.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    presta has caps too.

Two words for you Ross, Lance Armstrong.

Too much eurotrash love here for me.

Schraders4life!!!!
    haha, I was waiting for someone to say that.

well, besides him.