Thread: The chute of Muddy Creek

The chute of Muddy Creek

I'm heading down to the swell over memorial weekend and was thinking about hiking the chute of muddy creek one of the days were down there. I've read Ice's description on Climb-Utah and it sounds like a lot of fun. Does anybody have any additional info or thoughts on the route?

Also, I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: The chute of Muddy Creek

[quote=tatwood]I'm heading down to the swell over memorial weekend and was thinking about hiking the chute of muddy creek one of the days were down there. I've read Ice's description on Climb-Utah and it sounds like a lot of fun. Does anybody have any additional info or thoughts on the route?

Also, I

Thanks for the info. We'd start at the Tompisch Butte trialhead and hike down and we'll definalty have a shuttle. It would be to long of a day without one.

Plenty of camping at both Hidden Splendor and Tomich Butte. Finding a nice spot to camp is not a problem. I'm heading to the Muddy river this weekend. Ping me Monday and I can give you a current update on water.

That's perfect! Thanks Ice. I'll look forward to hearing about your trip.

you can monitor the flow of the muddy as it goes through Emery here:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv...95,00300,00076

Flow tends to be lower by the time it reaches the Chute, but this can give you an idea of what to expect at least.

Eric.

Note: flows have gone up about 100 cfs since last saturday. This could make things quite a bit tougher. Seems this would be better earlier or later in the year, but not in the peak of runoff, without a kayak or duckie.

With flow conditions not looking so good for this weekend, I

I would advise against attempting to hike the Chute this weekend, the Muddy is rolling pretty good right now. Hiking The Muddy Creek Gorge is still no problem with knee deep stream crossings.

Thanks Iceaxe. After looking into it a bit more, I decided to put it off for awhile. I still want to knock this one off my list though, so maybe later this year, or early next. Thanks for the conditions update.

Do it in the fall, the no-see-ums are starting to appear and you often get deer flies in summers. September is a nice month to do The Chute. The water is low and clear at that time of year which makes hiking easy.