Thread: Moab April 30th 2006

Moab April 30th 2006

Day three of our trip we explored the "Porcupine Rim Trail" east of Moab. If your looking for a challenging trail, but not totally over the edge of insanity, this is the trail. In total I think we rode 25 miles and didn't even go to the far end of the trail. It felt like we had ridden a hundred miles. You spend all day climbing up and down sand stone ledges and what resemble stairs. In so many places I lost count we had to stop and go up one quad at a time while the rest of the group helped keep you from flopping over backwards. it was so rough that 3/4 of the way through as much as we did half the group called it quits and took a break and a nap while Redman and myself went on further. It's a very rough trail but the views are the reward.

We started out a few miles below the official trail head for the Porcupine on an interconnecting trail and jumped back onto the main road a few miles above it. The main trail head was pretty busy with mountain bikers and hikers. Use caution on this trail as I was totally amazed at how many mountain bike riders we came across. My best guess was probably 20 or 25 scattered along the trail.

Porcupine Rim Moab 4-30-2006.tpo National Geographics TOPO! File

Porcupine Rim Moab 4-30-2006.gdb Garmin Mapsource File

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
    Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pic's. I am glad to see everyone with a helmet on.
    SUWA Hates you, JUST SAY NO TO SUWA
    "Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared". Jack Handy

Nice pictures! Ya just cant take too many in those parts.

By the way the camera I am using is an awesome little thing from Pentax. the Optio Wpi 6 megapixel, totally waterproof and dust proof and about the size of a deck of playing cards. This thing even has an underwater mode so you could take it places you wouldn't dare a normal camera. It was only $220 online.
    Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
    Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money

Quote Originally Posted by ATVUtah
    By the way the camera I am using is an awesome little thing from Pentax. the Optio Wpi 6 megapixel, totally waterproof and dust proof and about the size of a deck of playing cards. This thing even has an underwater mode so you could take it places you wouldn't dare a normal camera. It was only $220 online.
    Really? That's awesome. I should look into that. It would be great for river runs.