Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do about this situation?

What would you do about this situation?

There are some people who live sort of across the street from me who can't seem to control their dog. Oh they've thrown up some metal sheeting and some bricks around the bottom of their chain link fence to keep him in, but it's not working. This dog is always coming over to my house (and all the houses on my street) scaring my cat up onto the roof, and barking. I've had to get the ladder out several times to get my cat down off the roof. Last night, I had gone to sleep at around 10:15 and I woke up an hour later to loud barking. I knew the dog was out there, so I grabbed a long stick to scare it with, or hit it with if it turned on me, and ran outside. It heard me coming and took off, but then I was wide awake again and it took me a long time to fall back asleep.
    So, should I call animal control or what? Suggestions, advice, comments?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First, you should talk to the owners, that's fair. Then, if the situation doesnt improve make a formal complaint with animal control.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Just make sure you have some way to prove it if it ever gets into a disagreement.

Take your camcorder out each time he's barking, note the time, and just keep a log of the instances.

Talking to people who let their pet behave like that (I bet they know it, but just don't care) are not going to give a rat's ass if you talk to them. I'm generalizing, but a similar thing has happened to me more than once, and talking did not one bit of good besides show me what an a-hole my neighbors were. Go for it, but don't expect much I guess. I say to call the pound, or police. Like was mentioned, trying video-taping as well.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Pepperspray works wonders as well!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Just curious, are the people who own the dog at home when this happens? The reason I ask is because my sister and her husband own 2 dogs that are very sweet natured and lovable, but whenever they left to go out to dinner or wherever for a few hours at a time, the dogs would bark and howl (one is a giant blood hound who really can howl) just about the entire time they were gone. Of course, when they arrived home, the dogs were just fine and quiet. Until a neighbor approached and let them know that this was happening, they had no clue. They purchased a new form of bark collar which is more humane than the ones that shock the dog when it barks. This type emits some sort of herbal spray that isn't harmful to the animal, but the dogs don't like the smell or taste. Therefore, it has stopped the barking and howling.

As stated in earlier comments, you won't know until you approach your neighbor. Don't wait until you're totally po'd one night either. It's usually best to discuss something like this when you're calm.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Antifreeze
    Let's Roll

I'd first talk with the neighbor's if you haven't. Make sure they know what your plans are if the dog continue's to run rampant.

If I started seeing the dog again I'd get a live trap and call the pound once the dog was in the trap. Let the owners pay to get the dog out. I believe if they have to pick the dog up so many times from the pound the pound won't release the dog back to the owner.

I HATE loud dogs!!! I have this problem at my place. I really think that if the owner cares they will do something before someone has to TELL them. I mean it is common sense and common courtesy. If they are home and know that the dog is barking, then chances are they could care less that it may be bothering people. I have called before and am planning to call again. Talking to the owners first just lets them know that it was you that called on them later.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Talking to the owners first just lets them know that it was you that called on them later.
    EXACTLY!!

I tend to go for the more direct and fool-proof method:

Keep some treats ready for when the dog is out on the prowl in your neighborhood. When the wandering fleabag enters your yard discreetly toss a few treats out to him to enjoy. Don't let anybody see you do this. Which treats are most effective? Usually bacon dipped in rat poison or gopher poison, but other meat/poison combos work just as well.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Sling shot.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Keep some treats ready for when the dog is out on the prowl in your neighborhood. When the wandering fleabag enters your yard discreetly toss a few treats out to him to enjoy. Don't let anybody see you do this. Which treats are most effective? Usually bacon dipped in rat poison or gopher poison, but other meat/poison combos work just as well. [/quote]

It's not the dog's fault he has a crappy owner. Sure, just kill the dog. geez. And yes, you should talk to the owner first, dont assume that they dont care, you never know. My friend had a really hard time with her neighbor's dog barking all the time, was getting frustrated and was trying to decide what to do.... finally she decided to go talk with the owner, turns out the owner is deaf (true story) and couldnt hear the dog. Then she started training the dog herself not to bark and all is fine now.

After you talk to the dog owner and it still doesnt change, then do something about it (besides harm the dog) that way the owner cant plead ignorance or turn it around or whatever, they've been warned.[/quote]
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger

It's not the dog's fault he has a crappy owner. Sure, just kill the dog. geez. And yes, you should talk to the owner first, dont assume that they dont care, you never know. My friend had a really hard time with her neighbor's dog barking all the time, was getting frustrated and was trying to decide what to do.... finally she decided to go talk with the owner, turns out the owner is deaf (true story) and couldnt hear the dog. Then she started training the dog herself not to bark and all is fine now.

After you talk to the dog owner and it still doesnt change, then do something about it (besides harm the dog) that way the owner cant plead ignorance or turn it around or whatever, they've been warned.
    Agreed. Poisoning the animal is not the answer and it's a very cruel way of killing it as well. They suffer horribly. It would be much more humane just to have it picked up by the SPCA if the aggravation doesn't stop. At least it would have a chance.

BTW, my advice of poisoning the dog was in jest.

Murder is not the answer...

I thought you guys knew me better than that.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigben
    Antifreeze
    Besides being Illegal, cruel, and ill-intentioned, that's a bad idea. Its not the dog's fault, its the owners that can't control it.
    During normal hours, call animal control. During off hours, call the police non-emergency line. Keep a log of every instance. Call animal control the next morning and report the incident.
    How big is the dog? You can 'rent' live animal traps from animal controls for a refundable deposit. Catch the damn thing and have animal control pick it up the next day.

Oh, they already know about the problem and they're home when it happens. They've seen me out there with a stick chasing their dog, and they've seen me climb the ladder to get the cat. They make half-hearted attempts at times to get their dog, but sometimes I see two of them (there seems to be at least five teens to adults living there) making out in the driveway as the dog rampages through the neighborhood. I've seen at least one of the people socializing with suspected gang members down the street, people who have graffiti inside their garage that looks like gang tags. For this reason I'm hesitant to do much, not because I can't take care of myself--but because my wife is at home alone a lot and I have other family that could be injured if the gang members decide to get involved. If it was just me--I'd march right up to the house, tell them to keep their dog confined or else I'd be calling Animal Control.

Well, at least they have it confined for now. I'm hoping that they've gotten the message through me glaring over at them yesterday.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigben
    Antifreeze
    Besides being Illegal, cruel, and ill-intentioned, that's a bad idea. Its not the dog's fault, its the owners that can't control it.
    Give the owners antifreeze.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    BTW, my advice of poisoning the dog was in jest.

Murder is not the answer...

I thought you guys knew me better than that.
    I'm glad to know this. I will throw away the voodoo "familiar" I made of you earlier today. btw......hope you didn't feel any unfamiliar pain twinges or spasms.....

That's a JOKE now....ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Give the owners antifreeze.

I would just call and complain every time that the dog keeps you up, sooner or later they will get a visit by the fuzz or animal controll. It might be best to stay anonymous becuase I would think that other neighbors are being bothered in the same way. Then you aren't putting yourself out there being that "guy" who always calls the cops or what not.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.