Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to St George, need help!

Going to St George, need help!

I'm going down next week with my pregnant wife. Problem? I usually go biking down there. This time, I may bring my bike, but the majority of time will be spent with her, just chilling out. I may have her drop me off at 1 or 2 trailheads, but that's all for the bike. Just short rides.

Can you guys/gals advise me on what we can do down there that won't require a lot of hiking or walking? (she's pregnant)

I would really just like to take some nice scenic drives down there. Maybe through Snow Canyon, or Zion. We'll go down Thursday night, and come back Sunday. Anybody know of some cool roads/drives down there?

I don't want to go to the mall or outlet stores, we can do that at home, so I'd appreciate anything that is specific to that area down there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Going to St George, need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I'm going down next week with my pregnant wife. Problem? I usually go biking down there. This time, I may bring my bike, but the majority of time will be spent with her, just chilling out. I may have her drop me off at 1 or 2 trailheads, but that's all for the bike. Just short rides.

Can you guys/gals advise me on what we can do down there that won't require a lot of hiking or walking? (she's pregnant)

I would really just like to take some nice scenic drives down there. Maybe through Snow Canyon, or Zion. We'll go down Thursday night, and come back Sunday. Anybody know of some cool roads/drives down there?

I don't want to go to the mall or outlet stores, we can do that at home, so I'd appreciate anything that is specific to that area down there.
    I think that Zion would be your best bet to me. Either hit Zion, or drive another hour and check out bryce canyon down the road. Zion has some easy hikes, or areas where you can just walk in the open near trees or a stream, and can be driven thru...though only part of Zion after April 1st. Head on over Kanab to eat at one of their nifty little cafes.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Yeah, Zion would be cool to hang out. I agree that Bryce would be cool too! Prolly what I'd do.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Too bad the Tuacahn Theater hasn't opened for the season yet. Even if you didn't care for whatever production was being presented, seeing anything performed at this awesome venue is worth the visit. It's a huge amphitheater surrounded by those gorgeous red cliffs. I've seen several shows/concerts down there and it's a magnificent place. You can still go check it out though and it's right by Snow Canyon.

I'm a closet history buff, so if you're into history you can always do historical tours of different homes (Jacob Hamblin and Brigham Young are two that come to mind) and other select areas. If you head to Zion, any drive in and around that area is worth taking. Depending on how close your wife is to her due date, don't get too far off the beaten track.

Hey......you can always drive over to the east side of Zion and visit Tanya (she's mainly on the Zion yahoo group, but she is a member here as well) and eat ho-made pie! I don't remember which post it was, but someone placed a picture of her famous "Ho-Made Pies" sign on here not too long ago.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Yeah, I'll probably end up driving through Zion. Doesn't Tanya work in the lodge or something?

Has anybody driven through Zion, and continued on the highway North East? What's that drive like? Isn't that how you get to Bryce?

Yeah, I'll probably end up driving through Zion. Doesn't Tanya work in the lodge or something?

Has anybody driven through Zion, and continued on the highway North East? What's that drive like? Isn't that how you get to Bryce?
    That is exactly how you get thru Bryce by way of Zion. Yes, I have done that drive several times. Take the 9 east to the 89 north, to the 12 west. Bryce is about a hour or so northeast. I thought it was a pretty drive, especially if you do it during the Spring-time, like now. Cedar Breaks (on the way to Bryce) is an option as well, but I am sure that the road still might be closed to the park.
    ~Jason

I will make that drive then. This will be my first time to Bryce. I only wish I could go hiking and/or biking, but we'll probably just be driving and looking around.

It will get me prepared for some riding later this year hopefully. I can study out the trails.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Tanya and her family own and operate the businesses located there - the hotel, restaurant, Chevron. There's a map and all kinds of info located on this website:

http://eastziontourismcouncil.org/
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I will make that drive then. This will be my first time to Bryce. I only wish I could go hiking and/or biking, but we'll probably just be driving and looking around.

It will get me prepared for some riding later this year hopefully. I can study out the trails.
    Bryce Canyon is totally worth the drive. All of those "hoo doos" are really neat. There are some very easy hikes there that you can take your wife on. Most are not too strenuous. You can't really bike in Bryce anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~Jason

Cool, thanks for the good info you guys. (and savanna )

I've always wanted to go see the Dino tracks in St. George. Supposed to be primo....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've always wanted to go see the Dino tracks in St. George. Supposed to be primo....
    The Dino Tracks are way cool and they have a great facility now!

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The Dino Tracks are way cool and they have a great facility now!

Lynn
    Where are they at? You guys got a link to some beta?

James

Those tracks are pretty cool. Here's a link:

http://www.sgcity.org/dinotrax/indexmain.php
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

So, if I drive through Zion and continue to Bryce, will I have to pay 2 park fees, or is it just one fee for both parks?

So, if I drive through Zion and continue to Bryce, will I have to pay 2 park fees, or is it just one fee for both parks?
    Probably two fees. If I were you, I would just buy the annual National Park Pass for fifty bucks (that's what I do). It is good for a year, and the cost to get into a national park is sometimes 20 bucks anyways.
    ~Jason

I just borrowed my uncle's pass. It's only got his signature on there, and I don't think they check I.D.

I just borrowed my uncle's pass. It's only got his signature on there, and I don't think they check I.D.
    Maybe you will have better luck, however, "everytime" I have used the pass they have asked for I.D., everytime...
    ~Jason

In fact every National Park I have been to have been total dicks about using a parks pass. One time on a trip to Zion a friend of mine brought his annual pass. He had scribbled his signature so that friend could use it. Well when he was in my car, no problem. The checked his ID and compared it to the signature. Well at one point we were separated and he gave me his pass so that I could get back in to the park campground where he was. A different ranger checked the signature and only let us by after grilling us over whose it really was. It the end it was only because of the charm of my third friend (who was pretending to be the pass

Hell!

The card I borrowed says my uncle's name, Mark, with my same last name. It could pass as a "Mary" or a "Marty". Do you think I could sign my name on the Spouse line, since we have the same last name? Then they could compare my signature to my license.