Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prairie dog hunt

Prairie dog hunt

The dogs have been scarce for a few years in southeast Utah but this year they are back in force. My cousin and I thinned out the count a little for a local landowner.
    If you want the funnest time shooting ever you need to try these varmints with a high velocity rifle.

check this one out http://www.prairiedoghunting.net/bestofpdog.wmv
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Prairie dog hunt

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    that's a great vid. The first set was getting clobbered, and the two that were left were just chillin' out still.

Very nice work!! Where was that at? What guns are you shooting? (usually?) It looks like you take a good arsenal with you.

This was on Mustang Mesa in San Juan county. The top picture is west overlooking the town of Blanding, the lower picture is facing North, you see Abajo mountain. The guy in camouflage is my cousin, he is not wearing camo so the potguts don't see him, it's just all he owns . He brought a Remington 700 in 22-250 and a .223 bushmaster AR15. I usually shoot a Weatherby SVM in 22-250 with a Vari-x3 25 power Leupold or a Thompson Encore with a heavy 223 and 20 power Leupold.

What do you shoot?

I have a Remington VSF 22-250 with a Super Sniper 20x scope. Every once in a while I will pull out the Ruger M77 300 win. mag. for the "big" varmints like rock chucks and coyotes. Saturday will be my first day out of the season for prairie dogs. Your video makes me want to at least drag out the camera.

Cool.

I'm heading up to Wyoming tomorrow for a day of p.dog shooting. That video got me fired up.

I don't think that the ones I shoot will blow up like that though, I'm trying out my .17HMR tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    Cool.

I'm heading up to Wyoming tomorrow for a day of p.dog shooting. That video got me fired up.

I don't think that the ones I shoot will blow up like that though, I'm trying out my .17HMR tomorrow.
    Bring your video camera, and set it on a tripod. That would be cool to zoom in on it, keep it there on the tripod, and then go to your gun and shoot it.

That's got to be one of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen. Hey man nice shot , I think. Why again do the land owners have you blow these guys away? Being city-folk I don't know these things.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Cool.

Bring your video camera, and set it on a tripod. That would be cool to zoom in on it, keep it there on the tripod, and then go to your gun and shoot it.
    I don't want to shoot my video camera.

I think that I know what you mean though. I'll see what I can do.

I don't want to shoot my video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    That's got to be one of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen. Hey man nice shot , I think. Why again do the land owners have you blow these guys away? Being city-folk I don't know these things.

James
    The reasons I've found that the landowners want them gone is that they dig burrows underground and network their tunnels together and when their livestock comes walking by, they step in the holes or in the tunnels, causing them collapse and the animal that falls in breaks its leg(s) and has to be put down. Doesn't make you too happy if you're a rancher always having to put down your livestock and not make any profits.

That, and they are notorious for having outbreaks of the Bubonic plauge. I guess it can be spread among the prarie dogs and it wipes them out for a while until other PDogs move in, it can spread to other animals (livestock) and it can be dangerous if humans come in contact with infected animals. That's another reason landowners want them gone.
    Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glittered in the queen's round metal hat.

Hey, thats my video!

If your looking for more of that, just email me @ pdoghunting@hotmail.com

I need a server to put up my other 3 videos (better than my best of). Anyway I head out next week to get some more video. So look for my 2006 video soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Westro
    Hey, thats my video!
    sweet! you are my hero!

Hey, thats my video!
    Sweet! That must be pretty cool to run into your own video.

As for looking for a server to put your other 3 on, I put all of my mtn biking stuff on putfile.com.

I have some more video up.

My father was just out to Utah, and it sounds like you might have some towns out there. We might have to make a trip!

I have some more video up.

My father was just out to Utah, and it sounds like you might have some towns out there. We might have to make a trip!
    I cant make the links work at work , I'll be home in 9 hours from now .

There is some good shooting south east, I have been wanting to set up east of Crescent Junction. The best I have found closer to Salt Lake is in Wyoming north of Rock Springs.

It's come to my attention that the Utah Prairie Dog is listed federally as threatened, and therefore shooting them is a federal crime. With that in mind, you may want to keep from bragging about going out and shooting them in the future.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Actually, the prairie dogs he was shooting were not Utah prairie dogs, so he doesn't have anything to worry about.

The "Utah prairie dogs" are a subspecies native to the SW corner of the state, where harming any prairie dogs is illegal. The rest of the state, where no Utah prairie dogs live, is a completely different situation.

The area he was shooting, specifically, has predominantly Gunnison prairie dogs.

- DAA

Where's a good place around here to shoot p dogs?

Places like this