Thread: Rocky Mountain Raceway

Rocky Mountain Raceway

I went to RMR Saturday night with my kid to watch the circle burners..... I finally got fed up with one of the best short track facilities in the country being run like a candyass go-cart track so I sent them the following letter.

[i][color=darkblue]I attended the Ovals on April 29 and I just wanted to let you know that was one of the most awful displays of running an event I have ever witnessed. Ticket lines nearly one hour long? Beer lines that were 15 minutes long? Concession lines 10 minutes long? Your only saving grace was the clean restrooms.

I have attended thousands of short track events around the country and your Oval events are always inadequately run, which is a major shame considering RMR is one of the nicest short track racing venues in the country.

I have suffered through many nights at your track because it's the only game in town. When I realized it was the tenth anniversary I figured it was time to speak up.

After you address the above items you might consider some of the following suggestions on improving your events.

1. Hire Oval announcers that at least have a basic understanding of short track racing and can explain it to the fans. The fans need to understand inverted starts, transfers and the importance of heat races. Just to name a few items I have witnessed lacking over the years. Your announcers do a poor to non-existent job of explaining any of this.

2. Consider inverting your scoring pylon so it counts the laps backwards to the end of the race. The biggest question I hear muttered through the stands is "How many laps", which would be fine if your announcers had bothered to mention the number of laps that would be run.

3. Kids are your future. No matter what it takes you need to make the kid tickets cheap. Dad will make up the difference in the food/goodie/souvenir line. Your event on April 29th was very affordable, but past events have not always been so.

4. And the biggest complaint of all

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll keep this short..... I basicly got a letter back from Spencer Young the president of RMR that said.

Thanks for writing but we think that we are doing a wonderful job, the ticket lines were only 20 minutes and we like to have long beer lines so folks don't drink to much.

Anyhoo..... I can't wait for Miller Sports Park to get rolling so I can spend my racing dollars elsewhere. RMR is no longer the only game in town.

"but we think we are doing a wonderful job"????? They like beer lines so people won't drink too much???? Hell, if that's what they want, just make it $30 per cup.

The idea is to make as much money as possible, meaning shorter lines, but more of them.

And, 20 minute ticket lines compared to what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    And, 20 minute ticket lines compared to what?
    If you read my letter to RMR above you will note I told them the ticket lines were 60 minutes, which they were. But I didn't want to argue over the point. 20 minute ticket lines are still 17 minutes to long.....

They also told me if I didn't like long ticket lines I should buy season tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    They also told me if I didn't like long ticket lines I should buy season tickets
    Wow! What an upsell! Watch out, you are dealing with a professional salesman.

Props to you for sending a letter. Often times I plan to send a letter somewhere to complain about service and never get around to it. Giving them feedback is the only chance of things changing.

I was really surprised at his response. Very unprofessional! WOW!!

Damn Ice, dontcha just feeling like telling that guy to SUCK ON YOUR NUTS?!!!! What an ignorant bastard he is!

Makes ya kinda feeling like (sometimes) writing a letter of complaint is like pissing into the wind...it all just winds up on your face in the end!

I still applaud your efforts...too bad the bastard didn't have two rocks to rub together for a brain.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

To be fair I figured I should post the entire return email.... here it is... The dark Blue is me, the black is the reply.

>>I attended the Ovals on April 29 and I just wanted to let you know that was one of the most awful displays of running an event I have ever witnessed. Ticket lines nearly one hour long? Beer lines that were 15 minutes long? Concession lines 10 minutes long? Your only saving grace was the clean restrooms.<<

First...Shane, thank you for attending and thank you for your candid feedback. I/we always listen to our attendees.
    a. I am sorry you feel that the event was run poorly. We will always work on better flow of events.
    b. As for ticket lines.....There is a solution for you and all fans. 1. You can buy your tickets at any Smiths before the event to avoid any line. 2. You can purchase advance tickets or season tickets to avoid the lines.
    We never know the exact time of the walk up traffic without tickets. We staff for when and what we think may happen. Saturday was an exception. By the way the line was not an hour. I was there and to me the lines were too long but were about 20 minutes, which is still too long.
    c. Beer lines. We must be careful about the beer lines. If we make them almost too accessible some people cannot control themselves and drink irresponsibly. Sometimes a line is good for people like this. Believe you me we always want to sell as much food and beer as possible but we also want to make sure we are in compliance with safety and the security of our fans. We will work on this concern.
    d. Concessions: I had every window open for business. I apologize for the lines, sometimes it is hard to predict what, when and how much to feed people. Again, I would love to sell as much food as possible. We will work on this aspect as well.

>>I have attended thousands of short track events around the country and your Oval events are always inadequately run, which is a major shame considering RMR is one of the nicest short track racing venues in the country.<<

I have also attended many short tracks. While we can improve, which we will discuss and always work on...........I have attended many tracks that have porta potties for bathrooms, hot dogs for concessions, sliver wood seats and 3 cars to watch.

>>I have suffered through many nights at your track because it's the only game in town. When I realized it was the tenth anniversary I figured it was time to speak up.<<

There might be a reason there is only one game in town.

>>After you address the above items you might consider some of the following suggestions on improving your events.
    1. Hire Oval announcers that at least have a basic understanding of short track racing and can explain it to the fans. The fans need to understand inverted starts, transfers and the importance of heat races. Just to name a few items I have witnessed lacking over the years. Your announcers do a poor to non-existent job of explaining any of this.<<

We will review this with the announcers and improve. However, The announcers we have, have been with us for 10 years. The guest announcer on Saturday night was also a racer who has raced at the track for 10 years.

>>2. Consider inverting your scoring pylon so it counts the laps backwards to the end of the race. The biggest question I hear muttered through the stands is "How many laps", which would be fine if your announcers had bothered to mention the number of laps that would be run.<<

I agree with this. We will do better. However our sign will not count backwards.

>>3. Kids are your future. No matter what it takes you need to make the kid tickets cheap. Dad will make up the difference in the food/goodie/souvenir line. Your event on April 29th was very affordable, but past events have not always been so.<<

I agree kids are the future of any sport. We will always keep this in mind.

[color=darkblue]>>4. And the biggest complaint of all