Thread: Home Electrical advice -- home improvement

Home Electrical advice -- home improvement

OK, we're going to put the network aside at the moment. Now, I'll ask the amateur electricians here a few questions...

I'm ready to run electric in my basement, and honestly have no idea what I'm doing. First step is to place all of the outlet boxes. I'll place them around 16" off of the ground.

Is there a certain style of box that is preferred for outlets? I'll just have the regular "2 outlets" per box in most.

Next question is, how many can you have on the same loop? I guess the loop would include light switches, outlets, and light fixtures?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My suggestion is: Anything that can kill you (electrocute or other) or potentially burn your house down or flood you ought to be handled by experts or at least have one there periodically to check your work. Other than that, the black wire is not a friendly wire.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    My suggestion is: Anything that can kill you (electrocute or other) or potentially burn your house down or flood you ought to be handled by experts or at least have one there periodically to check your work. Other than that, the black wire is not a friendly wire.
    This is true. That's why I'm just going to hang the boxes, and let somebody come in to run the wire.

I'm no electrician but adding basement electrical isn't really that hard. Go get a book for $20 and save the money you would spend having someone do it for you. If you are still uncomfortable about all the loads etc take a floor plan with outlet and lighting locations to someone that does know and have them draw a wiring diagram. You can then do the wiring yourself.

ps. make sure the j-boxes you are getting are rated for highvoltage.