View Poll Results: Have you replied to a Nigerian Email Scam?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, those dudes are dangerous!

5 19.23%
  • I don't know how or why I would want to.

2 7.69%
  • Yeah, baby! These guys need to get the runaround!

8 30.77%
  • I did, because I thought I could get rich.

2 7.69%
  • This is the stupidest poll you've ever done...

9 34.62%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nigerian Email Scam -- Let's reply!!!

Nigerian Email Scam -- Let's reply!!!

I checked one of my many email accounts tonight, lo' and behold, I've got a good old fashioned Nigerian Email Scam! For those of you who don't know how they work, here are the points to watch for:
    • You have been chosen as the next of kin, or some kind of beneficiary for some incredibly rich deceased person -- OR -- they are inheriting the money, but cannot obtain it without YOUR help.
      The email originator has this large sum of money that they really, really, really want to get to you, but cannot because they don't have your bank account number, passport number, phone number
      Either way, you need to contact them and get your info to them so you can inherit this money, OR receive your commission for helping them out.
      It will ALWAYS involve millions of dollars for your reward.
      And, yes, for some reason, most of these scams actually do originate from the country of Nigeria

Here is the email I received: It was sent from sambajanet42@yahoo.ca but they will always provide a different address for you to reply to. This way they can keep track of the thousands they have sent out, and who replies.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CLIENTIS BANK - CI (CB - CI)
    5, rue de plateau 11, bp 09095,
    03 Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire.
    Email: mrssamba04@dbzmail.com

Greetings.

I am Mrs.Janet Samba, senior accountant with Clientis bank in Cote D'Ivoire. With due respect and regard I wish to seek your urgent assistance and help to transfer the sum of (U.S.3 MILLION DOLLARS) THREE MILLION from the above mentioned bank to your own bank account for sefe keep and investment purposes in the near future. This money belongs to one of our late customers, (Mr.Robert Rice ) who died in a plane crash with his wife and his fund has been lying dormant with the bank without any claim, either from his family or next of kin up to date. I am contacting you to act as the bonafide next of kin to the deceased so that the fund will be released to you as his next of kin. I am confidently assuring you, there will be no risk in this transaction, no loss of money as all necessary arrangements have been perfected to release this fund to you as late Mr.Robert Rice' next of kin, and all necessary informations as regards this fund have been secured and will be relayed to you as soon as I receive your positive response.

Meanwhile, be notified that we are still working with the bank and it's only me and my colleague (boss) that have knowledge of this development thus I emplore that you treat this proposal very confidencial for it's speedy and successful conclution. I have served the bank faithfully for good number of years and 'am presently preparing for my retirement, hence I see this as a golden opportunity to transact and be comfortable in life after retirement. As soon as this fund is secured into your accountweshall meet with you in your country for disbursement and also forward you an off-shore account where you will transfer our own share. We agreed sharing ratio to be as follows: 25% for you the account owner, 70% for me and my boss, while 5% will be set aside for expenses made during the transaction.

Meanwhile, here below is the website of the plane crash that took the life of the account owner and his family:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/...ain49778.shtml

Looking foward to hearing positively from you soonest.
    Regards,
    Mrs.Janet Samba.
    Ps reply via: mrssamba04@dbzmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: These people actually can be very dangerous.
    If you choose to mess around with these people, do so without ANY true personal information about yourself. I would suggest creating a fake email account and using that. Do not use your real name, or even true location.

You can choose to lead these people on, and screw with them. Act stupid, and give them the run around. It actually is fun to make them think they are close to robbing you.

Have fun, and be careful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You mean it wasn't ok to give them my bank account number and SSN??? I think that this might be for real. They sound legit.

Oh, and where in tarnation do you get all the time to mess with these kinda people?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Oh, and where in tarnation do you get all the time to mess with these kinda people?
    The key is to just send them short little emails, like "Wow, I am very excited to do this! Tell me how I can help you".

Then they'll email back later that night (they're about 9 hours ahead of us). You'll see it that next day. They'll tell you to give them the info, and you just keep acting stupid like "I'm in between bank accounts right now, is there some other way?"

Basically just one email a day. You can even arrange to meet these people to trade the documents by hand. Then, at the last moment, your flight gets delayed or cancelled for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    The key is to just send them short little emails, like "Wow, I am very excited to do this! Tell me how I can help you".

Then they'll email back later that night (they're about 9 hours ahead of us). You'll see it that next day. They'll tell you to give them the info, and you just keep acting stupid like "I'm in between bank accounts right now, is there some other way?"

Basically just one email a day. You can even arrange to meet these people to trade the documents by hand. Then, at the last moment, your flight gets delayed or cancelled for some reason.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    The sad part is that people actually believe this is something legit. I had a friend (realtor) who was working with some clients who told her they had cash for a home. She worked with them diligently to find something and when they did, she asked for verification of their cash funds. They told her that they were still waiting for them to be wired into their account from the son of a deceased official of some foreign government (I believe it was Nigeria). My friend should've asked up front for proof of funds instead of wasting all that time, but the clients involved were the ones who really got the wrong end of the deal since they had already wired thousands to this person in order for him to get his "frozen" funds so he could in turn, pay them back tenfold.

Bottom line....if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.....
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    They told her that they were still waiting for them to be wired into their account from the son of a deceased official of some foreign government (I believe it was Nigeria).

So, they were planning on using these future finances to buy their house? Wow! I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

I'm glad that it wasn't your friend though. Seriously, people will believe their name just "came up" in a will from somebody in Nigeria!!!!

I've gotten rid of at least ten of these..the highest being around 10 mil...they all sound the same. It's sad that people are actually this stupid to go for it. I don't play the game - I actually know people who would do this..alot of 'em send on stuff equivalent to a chain letter...another thing I delete regularly.

I'm going to go ahead and reply to the email now.

• Subject: 3 Million Dollar transfer funds

Body: Hi, I was very pleased to read that I was a beneficiary for Mr.Robert Rice. I want to make this transaction happen as soon as possible.

Please tell me how I can help. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'll keep you posted on the replies. THERE WILL BE REPLIES.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Oh, I gotta see this happen! Hey, this is one way to permanently fund this site eh?
    Yeah, you'll hear about the "uutah email scams" in the news. Apparently, Iceaxe has been seen as the site's premier canyoneer, and has chosen YOU as one of his kin.

He needs your assistance in transfering 7 dollars to an account...

WOW! update....

This happened sooner than I thought. I recieved an email back from "janet samba". Because it's a woman's name, I guess I should trust it more? Funny thing is, I do the same thing! I am using the alias "Chrissy Hansen" as my name.

OK, so in reply to the email I sent off, here's what they wrote back:
    • Subject: Thanks, call my boss immediately.

Dear Chrissy Hansen,
      I received with great joy the reply you sent to me as regards to my proposal of seeking your honest assistance to receive the inheritance fund of our late customer into your bank account. I am indeed assuring you that we shall work together in truth and honesty to conclude this transaction and receive the fund into your bank account. I fully bank on your sincerity and co-operation to succeed in this transaction and also hoping that this transaction will bring us together to greater and profitable business relationship in the near future.

On receipt of your reply and the consequent detailed meetings we had on it, I and my colleague (Mr.Edward Coulibally) have accepted to work with you, so please do live up to our trust in you and we shall all benefit from this great opportunity. I assure you, with your promptness and sincere co-operation this transaction shall enjoy speedy conclution and the fund released and transfered to your bank account within 12 working days from today. Do also have confidence in us as the transaction and transfere of the fund will be legal and all the documents received in your favour however, do also appreciate that this transaction should enjoy great percentage of trust and confidentiality so that we will not suffer delays in concluding. I once again assure you of risk-free business transaction, legal and peacefull conclution so please do give us the necessary co-operation.

When I hear from you again with assurance to work sincerely with us based on keeping and to maintain the above needed conditions I will then send you further informations as regards to it's process and procedures. Do urgently call my boss on his direct phone number below so that he will be reassured that you are indeed ready to work with us as I have made good recomendation of your person to him. Hoping to hear from you soonest. Do also furnish me you complete contact details - your postal address and direct phone number.

Kind regards,
      Janeth Samba

Reply via: mrssamba04@dbzmail.com

My boss name and telephone number is thus: Mr.Edward Coulibally, telephone number - +225-08-525456. Just call him and reassure him that you are very willing to assist us in the transaction I contacted you for.

Note, they'll always want you to call them. This speeds up the process. They want to get your address and phone number as well.

My reply (to the noted mrssamba04@dbzmail.com):

• Thank you for the response back! I am very excited!

I have my mail sent to PO Box 264, and would you like my cell phone number, or home phone number? I don't know which one to send you. Thank you! God Bless.

I gave a fake PO box without a city, and I'm acting stupid on the phone number. They'll email back in this big rush to tell me "whatever, just give us the best phone number!!"

Any time any one use the word truth, honest, trust, that many times, 9 out of 10 times it is not truthful, honest or trustworthy.

I'm sitting back just waiting for the next chapter of "Scam the Scammer"
    Life is Good

I had 3 emails today, monday morning from "janet". 1 was a duplicate, so I really just had 2 new ones. (they probably couldn't keep their scams organized, hence the duplicate). Notice in the two emails, "she" didn't give the preferred reply address like she usually does.

I'll be thinking of a good response today. I need something to keep them interested, without giving them any real information. Any ideas?
    They are as follows:

• Subject: urgent

Dear Chrissy,
      I am in well receipt of your email but it has not yet satisfied the requirements. You only sent your postal box number without the complete address, all your phone numbers are very important and do also call my boss - Mr.Edward Coulibally on +225-08-525456, your call will give him more confidence as he only instructed me to search out a trustworthy, reliable and honest person who can assist us conclude the transaction and receive the fund into the person's bank account, and as such recommend the person to him for approval. So it is very important you call him so that he can give me instructions to send you more informations and further proceed.

Have a blessed day while awaiting positive response soonest.

Janet

2nd email:
    • Subject: hi

Dear Chrissy,
      Great day and how are you? I email to remind you that I am still waiting for your complete addresses, phone and fax numbers, do please get back to me urgently.

Regards,
      Janet

How about sending the contact info from one scam to another scam?

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    How about sending the contact info from one scam to another scam?
    great idea. We should take info from the UK scam here, http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2394 , and send it back. Otherwise, we may send phone numbers back that will sound familiar to them.

I took savanna's advice, and used info from the UK scam to reply to this one.

• Subject - Re: urgent

Hello janet. Sorry about the incomplete information, I hope this helps.

My address is 84 Francis Court, Macarthur DA81DQ

phone number is +447024095876

fax number is +447031844696

Please respond immediately! Thank you. Allah is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I took savanna's advice, and used info from the UK scam to reply to this one.

• Subject - Re: urgent

Hello janet. Sorry about the incomplete information, I hope this helps.

My address is 84 Francis Court, Macarthur DA81DQ

phone number is +447024095876

fax number is +447031844696

Please respond immediately! Thank you. Allah is great!

This is starting to get interesting. Nice suggestion Savanna.
    Life is Good

OK, down to business! They are now asking for the exact amount of $1,450.00 (only!) You will see in the message below that the original fee was $2,450, but they have graciously raised $1,000 to help me out! Wow, these guys are nice! So, now all I have to do is wire the money through Western Union. (it would be interesting if I could get Western Union to trace this transfer, and actually prosecute them on the other end. I doubt the legal aspect though, since they are in a different country)

So, after I sent my fake info in (another scammer's info) they happily replied with this letter:

• Subject: TEXT OF CLAIMS/APPLICATION LETTER

Dear Chrissy,
      In furtherance and details of our transaction: I will send you a form called CLAIMS/APPLICATION LETTER which you will fill, sign, scan and send ( attach ) to the foreign remittance dept of our bank for processing, approval and onward remittance of the inheritance fund into your norminated bank account. When our bank receive this application letter from you and commence the processing, sequent to approving it they will require some documents from you to certify that you are the bona fide next of kin to the deceased and these documents are:

(1) Death Certificate of late Mr.Robert Rice

(2) A sworn Affidavit of Oath from the high court of Cote D'Ivoire ( ascertaining you as the beneficiary of the inheritance fund) and

(3) Three Year Tax Clearance Certificate of late Mr.Robert Rice.

When these documents are produced by you and forward same to them on request they will approve your CLAIMS/APPLICATION LETTER and consequently release and transfer your inheritance fund into your own bank account and everything will conclude successfully and legally.

So I know quite alright that you don't have these documents because the documents will be applied for and obtained here in Cote D'Ivoire. So this mornning I contacted a lawyer on your behalf and demanded from him the possibilities of getting these documents and the cost though I never revealed to him that you are not a relative of the deceased. He promised to feed me back later and on receipt of your email this evenning I phoned him and he gave me the details and the cost. He said that the cost of all the documents is $2,450( two thousand four hundred and fifty U.S dollars) only. He said that as soon as the money is made available to him he will start to apply and process them from the various government agencies here and they will be issued to him in 3 days of applying for them. So I explained this to my boss - Mr.Edward Coulibally and the both of us have raised $1,000.00( One thousand dollars) remaining $1,450.00 ( one thousand four hundred and fifty dollars). So I am requesting you Chrissy, try your best and assist us with the remaining $1,450 to the lawyer as soon as possible so that he can proceed and get these documents for you and when he gets them he will send them to you and you will in turn forward them to the foreign remittance dept of our bank as soon as they requested them so that we can not suffer delays in concluding and receiving the fund into your bank account.

This is the name of the lawyer:

MICHAEL ONYEKA, ADDRESS - 05 KOUMASSI, ABIDJAN - COTE D' IVOIRE, EMAIL: michaelassociates@fastermail.com

Please send the $1,450 only to him by WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER and give him the informations so that he can pick it up and proceed without delay. When you send him the money ($1,450) also send him by email attachment your passport photogragh, your complete address, and photocopy of your identity card/ or photocopy of first three pages of your passport and explain to him that you are from Mrs.Janet Samba of Clientis bank.
      Please cooperate as we proceed to this stage of our transaction. Also continue to maintain the secrecy of this transaction so that we can successfully conclude and receive this fund into your bank account within the next few days. As soon as the fund is remitted to your bank account we will meet with you in your country for the sharing accordingly and also discuss with you in details my investment intentions in your country which I can trust you for the supervision.

So please contact the lawyer as soon as possible and get back to me.
      Hoping to hear from you soonest.

Janet.
      Meanwhile, I will fill in our bank tomorrow mornning your informations in the file of late Mr.Robert Rice. I assure you great success and peaceful conclution of this transaction.

Here below is the c/application letter, copy it out, fill correctly, sign, scan and send to the foreign remittance dept as soon as possible.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEXT OF CLAIMS/APPLICATION LETTER:

CLIENTIS BANK - CI (CB - CI)
      5, rue de 2Plateaux 11, bp 09095,
      03 Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire.
      Tel: +225- 21567557 Fax: +225- 21567556
      Email: cbank_fr01@yahoo.ca

ATTN DIRECTOR:

APPLICATION LETTER AS BENEFICIARY TO THE HOLDER OF ACCOUNT NO: CB-CI / 493410900.

With reference to the account of Mr.Robert Rice (my cousin) and with the account number CB - CI / 493410900 with your bank - Clientis Bank - CI.

I hereby declare that I Mrs.-------------- is next of kin to late Mr.Robert Rice and I humbly apply putting claim over his balance with your bank valued at US$3,000,000.00(Three Million United States Dollars) + interest left in his account number - CB - CI / 493410900. I also wish my claims / application letter be given an urgent attention as I want this balance be released and transfered into my bank account as stated below:

Bank Name: -----------
      Bank address: --------

Beneficiary:----------------

Account number: ------------Swift code (optional) ------------

My postal Address:------------Tel-----------Fax-----Email----------

I would be very happy if this fund is transfered to my bank account above and on no condition should my bank's information be changed or altered without my full consent.

Thank you for anticipated co-operation.

Yours Faithfully,

Sign-----
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, an official form and everything! If the scam is successful, this is the point where I send the money and info. This WOULD be the last time I hear from them. Now, I just need to keep them holding somehow... I need to come up with excuses of why I can't "wire" the money, and if it would be alright if I physically met with them.

I've read scams where they got them to actually fly somewhere and meet them! Of course, the "victim" was playing them, and actually never met up with them, but they made them fly to Amsterdam!

This is my goal, to make them fly somewhere to meet me. I have to make them believe I have more than the original amount. I'll agree to TEN THOUSAND if that will make them meet me.