Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uutah Moab trip

Amasa back kicks ass at night, it was one of the funnest trails to ride during the night.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's a great shot, man. one for the image bar!

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Amasa back kicks ass at night, it was one of the funnest trails to ride during the night.
    Never rode it during the night. Only at 6:30am, but it had a "nice" cool breeze and was so desolate that it was quite a ride. I loved that ride.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Didn't expect to be away from the net for the entire weekend but my parents were in town Sunday. Ended up at an estate auction with a GF all day Saturday too. Bought yet another bike, a barely used Specialized Crossroads for just $35. I was dumbfounded when nobody else was willing to bid on it. Does anybody out there need a cheap commuter?

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Since I am so feminine, I need a shower after each ride. Do the campsites that you camp at have showers?
    What a pantywaist. Unless one pays for a spot in Goblin Valley, neither of the sites I proposed even has water. Two large jugs is enough to last a few people for a couple of nights and you only need one gallon heated on an old fashioned Coleman 424 to take a bath.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy1911
    how do you guys plan on affording the cost of gas to drive down there?
    My little 4 hamster Toyota pickup makes it on just 10 gallons. Of course I can barely climb half of the hills over Soldiers Summit in 4th gear. The aerodynamics go to pot above 55 and the engine timing joins in at around 70 so it takes me almost 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Are we talkin' just a weekend thing, like Friday thru Sunday?
    Living an extra 100 miles away means I usually need a 4 plus day weekend to justify the trip. Leave Thursday around lunchtime and return Monday evening. Ride or hike or whatever all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Camping in Goblin Valley, Kane Creek, Trail Canyon, Sand Flats, or elsewhere is cool when the other half won't arrive until the next day. Good for the soul and much cheaper than a hotel room to yourself.

Seriously, I'm dying to get the h*ll out of town. The dating scene, tacoed Ksyriums on the ULCER ride, a cracked radius, losing toenails to frostbite, a separated shoulder, and ten days of colds/allergies/asthma early this month have all been killing me! I have got to work out some frustrations before I start kicking little puppies and stomping cute kittens!

My committed weekends are May 13-14th (club ride leader), June 24-25th (MS150 captain), and July 21-24th (Lava Hot Springs loaded touring). I'll use a sizeable chunk of vacation time for backpacking in the Tetons if nothing happens between now and the end of July. Beyond that, my summer is still open.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I just came back from Moab. I rode Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was plenty warm for me. I prefer riding Moab from October through March. Hiking may be a better option this late in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    I just came back from Moab. I rode Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was plenty warm for me. I prefer riding Moab from October through March. Hiking may be a better option this late in the year.
    I guess we will count you out for this one.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    I just came back from Moab. I rode Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was plenty warm for me.
    Bastard! Get any pictures? What trails did you ride?

I buddy and I are panning a two week trip through Utah and and maybe Colorado. Our main destination being Moab. This will be his first time so we'll probably hit the popular routes. Thinking of riding Red Canyon on the way there. Right now the plan is for the last two weeks in May. I was hoping on going this month but my buddy wanted some time to get into riding shape. Sounds like the temps will be pretty high so morning and late afternoon rides will be the norm. Hopefully we'll be there when some of you guys are in town and we can hook up with a group ride. I've heard of some XC type stuff in the mountains around Moab that may be cooler. Anybody have info on the trails/conditions there?
    My Bike Has Wood

Quote Originally Posted by stjunkie
    I buddy and I are panning a two week trip through Utah and and maybe Colorado. Our main destination being Moab. This will be his first time so we'll probably hit the popular routes. Thinking of riding Red Canyon on the way there. Right now the plan is for the last two weeks in May. I was hoping on going this month but my buddy wanted some time to get into riding shape. Sounds like the temps will be pretty high so morning and late afternoon rides will be the norm. Hopefully we'll be there when some of you guys are in town and we can hook up with a group ride. I've heard of some XC type stuff in the mountains around Moab that may be cooler. Anybody have info on the trails/conditions there?
    I have only done Slickrock, Amassa Back, and Sovereign Trail (loved them all), but I have heard that there is some XC riding around La Salle Mtn and such. Not sure if the snow will be melted away enough for you to ride it by then though.

Make sure to check out Arches National Park (for hiking, no off-road biking allowed). That place is pretty cool. Canyonlands is cool as well. Arches is only like 1 mile from Moab, very close. You have to pass by it coming in from the freeway.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker

What a pantywaist.
    Hey, who told you that I wear panties??? That was supposed to be a secret! Ya can't trust anybody these days!

Btw, what size is the frame on the bike you bought?
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Btw, what size is the frame on the bike you bought?
    It's a hybrid frame with a 16.5 inch c-t seat tube, an effective top tube of about 21.5 inches, and a pretty relaxed geometry. Someone had taken an ancient steel seatpost and reversed the clamp to allow someone the size of a 12 year old to ride it. I just ordered a decent $14 Kalloy to replace it. Once I get it into rideable condition, I just might decide to keep it. It's been a long time since I've had a bike that I can lock up practically anywhere without worrying about someone swiping my front wheel, seatpost, saddle, pump, etc.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

YES! I am SO there! I don't care about the heat so I'll go anytime ...as least I'm smart enough not to ride from noon to 5 down there. I am on a road trip the end of May/ first week in June to Carlsbad NM but I am up for any other time, just don't plan it around me 'cause with my schedule I have to plan around everyone elses...no big deal. I am sure Fourtycal will go too, although he's down there all the time anyway. If he doesn't see this I'll let him know -

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    YES! I am SO there! I don't care about the heat so I'll go anytime ...as least I'm smart enough not to ride from noon to 5 down there.
    I don't care about the temp either. Moab riding at 100 degrees is more fun than Ogden riding at 90 degrees.

RIGHT ON - someone who thinks like me! I LIVE for the heat...people think I'm crazy but hey, I work in 80 to 100 degree & 80 to 100 percent humidity every day - fully clothed, steeltoes, hardhat & 40# utility belt on in it but I digress...me likeum hot bike ridin'
    .......oh yes...I ALMOST forgot, the heat brings out the 'scenery'
    Forutycal & I have made it sort of a habit to either or both hit Jeep Safari and Memorial Day week but this year I lost on both so I'll fit in the time if I can. Maybe I'll bore you all with my work schedule for that time frame

Ok, I couldn't resist...here's my schedule:
    May 6,7,8,9,10 - off
    May 11,12,13,14,15 - dayshift 6am to 6 pm
    May 16,17,18,19 - off
    May 20,21,22,23,24 - graves 6pm to 6am
    May 25,26,27,28 - off
    May 29,30,31 vac - NewMex
    June 1,2 vac - NM
    June 3,4,5,6,7 - off (I know, sucks to be me)
    June 8,9,10,11,12 -graves
    June 13,14,15,16 -off
    June 17,18,19,20,21 - dayshift
    June 22,23,24,25,26 - off
    June 27,28,29,30 - graves
    I can fit in a few more weeks of vacation that I HAVE to take so like I said, I can shuffle a few things.
    .....anyone want to trade schedules?

I'm down , I was there on Easter, back down this coming weekend(rodbenders car show) and back down on may 12th(classic bronco safari) and anytime else I can. Memorial is on the Blue mountains(70 miles south of moab) this year.

Greyhair's schedule, 5 on 4 off not so bad, I'm M-F and live for weekends!

You Dog! Have fun down there & say hi to the family.
    I was checking out paintball equipment just the other day - thinking about the army down there. Anyway, I gotta head for SLC tomorrow for a few days & my back hasn't healed up quite yet for hardcore biking so I guess I'll catch up with ya

Hey Guys -

Can a girl with a 15 year old Specialized come? It's not pretty anymore but it gets me there!

Lynn

Hey Lynn,

If you go, you might consider renting a bike. I'm assuming, for one thing, if your bike is 15 years old, it's probably rigid, or least ways a hardtail - you will be very uncomfortable riding Moab with that (have you been there before?) A lot of the terrain is very rocky, droppy, bumpy, etc. You'll have much more fun on a more Moab-friendly bike.

Karen
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Hey Karen -

I actually bought the bike for a trip to Moab and it's been there close to 20 times over the years but yes it is quite the teeth chatterer even with a few improvements. It's just a matter of being cheap, attached to the thing and being old school. I remember each and every table I had to beg/lie/cheat for tips to buy the thing.

You are right though - rent a bike or suck it up and retire the old thing and get a new one!

Lynn