Thread: Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak

Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak

Has anyone ever hiked Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park? If so, was it enjoyable, or just kinda desolate and not so scenic? What altitude did you start at? Did you camp nearby? How long did it take you to reach the peak from the base (or where you started)? Oh, and about when does the snow recede enough so as it is hikeable?

Any information would be appreciated.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A friend and I hiked (climbed) Wheeler Peak last year on 4th of July Saturday. I enjoyed the hike although there was still quite a bit of snow in places-immediately above the lakes and again toward the top. We were postholing thigh deep in places on top but what a great view. I am looking forward to doing it again. Note that arguably the busiest weekend of the year and we only saw 10-15 people and most of them were around the lake not climbing the peak.
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by rwpontius
    A friend and I hiked (climbed) Wheeler Peak last year on 4th of July Saturday. I enjoyed the hike although there was still quite a bit of snow in places-immediately above the lakes and again toward the top. We were postholing thigh deep in places on top but what a great view. I am looking forward to doing it again. Note that arguably the busiest weekend of the year and we only saw 10-15 people and most of them were around the lake not climbing the peak.
    RP
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the snowfall there, or how long it hangs around at least. I had heard that Great Basin NP was a pretty uncrowded place for the most part. That is what I love, an uncrowded National Park...isn't that an oxymoron?
    ~Jason

I've hiked Wheeler in the fall and found it to be virtually deserted. You get quite a high start, as the trailhead is at around 10,000', as is the upper campground. I thought the area was very scenic, as the (north)east face is pretty vertical for a long ways and you have quite a bit of relief with the adjacent valley bottoms. Nice country IMHO (but then I'm a sucker for the Basin and Range)

Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost
    I've hiked Wheeler in the fall and found it to be virtually deserted. You get quite a high start, as the trailhead is at around 10,000', as is the upper campground. I thought the area was very scenic, as the (north)east face is pretty vertical for a long ways and you have quite a bit of relief with the adjacent valley bottoms. Nice country IMHO (but then I'm a sucker for the Basin and Range)
    Thanks for the info. I would like to try and hit that this year, but we'll have to see. I might be doing Yosemite (Halfdome) with one of my brothers.
    ~Jason