Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Final Choices for Utah State Quarter

3 Final Choices for Utah State Quarter

http://arts.utah.gov/quarter/survey.html

Whadyalike?

Got nothing against snowboarders, but please, if any sport represents utah it's skiing by a LOOOOOONG shot

Beehive....naaah don't need another "symbol"

Golden Spike is decent and worthy

Any other choices?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My vote is for the "Crossroads of the West"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Re: 3 Final Choices for Utah State Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Got nothing against snowboarders, but please, if any sport represents utah it's skiing by a LOOOOOONG shot
    Well said. I think I'll have to put my vote on the "Crossroads of the west" design. It's not the greatest, but it

The problem with the snowboarder, and it would be the same with the skier, is that the design is crappy and very very very dated. Styles change too much.

I'd probably vote for the crossroads, but you never hear that much about it. It's an important part of Utah's past, but there are definitely other things in Utah history.

The Behive is a descent idea, but still lacking.

I think we should have a quarter with a man and his 4 wives. That's what Utah is really known for anyway.

Price
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    I think we should have a quarter with a man and his 4 wives. That's what Utah is really known for anyway.

Price
    You beat me to this line.....

Who narrowed it down? Where these the best choices?

I think all three of them suck compared to what other states have come up with.

Price
    soooo true

MANY years back there was a comic in the tribune. it showed the 3 most likely cadidates and the 3 least likely candidates.

The most likely were almost identical to these, but it was a skier/delicate arch, if i remember correctly.

i forget the 3rd least likely, but one was the multiple wives and another was based on the fact that utah cast the deciding vote to end prohibition.
    I figured THIS is what utah SHOULD be known for

I dont like any of them. I suppose if I had to pick one it would be the golden spike. The beehive is too closely associated with the Mormon religion (even though it's been argued that it's not really) and that's not representative of the whole state. The snowboarder should be a skiier, if anything, but that's still not representative of the whole state.

I think they should have put the Delicate Arch on in the forground with the mountains in the background. This represents the best of Utah, north and south.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I'm with everyone else. If I HAD to narrow it down it would be the golden spike but they all pretty much suck. Who comes up with this stuff?

Crossroads of the West

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Out of the 3 choices, I think the Golden Spike as well. I'm surprised there's not one representing a "Home of the 2004 Olympics" theme, nor one that shows a familiar natural landmark from the southern area of the state. We won't mention Jello.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    I'm surprised there's not one representing a "Home of the 2004 Olympics" theme

I believe the phrase "the world is welcome" was used during the olympics.

"Home of the 2004 Olympics"
    Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the Olympics in 2002?

my choice would be for the Crossroads

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    "Home of the 2004 Olympics"
    Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the Olympics in 2002?

my choice would be for the Crossroads
    Ooops!! You are correct - 2002 - my mistake. Forgive me.....I've had a boo-boo brain this week.

Gosh.....it just doesn't seem like it's been that long ago though, does it?
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Ok we will blame it on the brain injury, how ya fealing by the way

OK, here's the GIF I saw somewhere. Now, I'm not sure if it was on a late night show or not, but Conan was always doing the "new quarters" gig.

...hey, whatever happened to ' Greatest Snow on Earth' maybe with a snowflake thingy.....ok, the spike thing works for me.

For a while there was a fake Utah quarter floating around making fun of polygamy. It had a man with five women lined up behind him.... really funny, wish I could find a picture.

Hey, maybe a guy standing with his arms like this surrounded by women...'what to do,what to do' ...