Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me find this spot!

There are such magnificent places in the USA like Zion National Park and the German's flock to the Wave and other remote places like this. Why? Is it the wide open space and photo ops or what?
    In all seriousness, it is often because they see the places in movies. Places like Monument Valley, Castle Valley, and the Wave are all very popular places for Europeans because they have been all used as scenery for some very popular movies shown in Europe. The Eurpoeans see the movies and want to go there.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

[quote="Scott Patterson"]
    In all seriousness, it is often because they see the places in movies. Places like Monument Valley, Castle Valley, and the Wave are all very popular places for Europeans because they have been all used as scenery for some very popular movies shown in Europe. The Eurpoeans see the movies and want to go there.
    Hm, I don't think that movies are the reason to go and see those places.
    It's more that there are some real good German homepages that tell about those places plus forums where they're discussed and that make people go there.

Quote Originally Posted by jolly
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Hm, I don't think that movies are the reason to go and see those places.
    It's more that there are some real good German homepages that tell about those places plus forums where they're discussed and that make people go there.
    perhaps he's suggestion that was the original motivation that lead to the home pages. one guidebook author here says that the popularity of the coyote buttes amongst germans (and other europeans) dramatically increased when it appeared in a german movie. prior to that it wasn't so popular.

europeans have been coming in hordes to the coloradon plateau for some time now. but it makes sense, now, that they are getting "off the beaten path" guided by websites.

in a sense there is something problematic about the coyote buttes being broadcast over books/internet. folks are so interested in it, that a permit system was instated in response to its increasing popularity. by focussing on sensitive areas, we can love something to death. many are frustrated with this permit system and think it unnecessary or at the very least too restrictive. also you can imagine that modified parking/bathrooms/signs and what not are slowly degrading its wild character and the notion of exploration. being elusive has its advantages. fortunately the coyote buttes are in a wilderness area.

on the other hand, knowledge of the land can lead to protection of it and the surrounding lands. plusses and minues some believe in letting the masses at some of the land, and keeping the rest under wraps. but it's becoming apparent that the internet wil quickly undermine this.

what fascinates and scares me most, is that the spread of information over the internet has just begun. what happens 50-200 years from now?

Hi- I realise this is quite an old thread.
    Yes it was in Fantasy Canyon near Vernal in Northern Utah.
    In 20010 I was researching for a visit. One on my contacts mentioned to me about Michael Fatali and the incident in Arches National park. My contact also said that Mr Fatali had a wonderful image of the Teapot and that there was some speculation that his was the last photo of the teapot before it was knocked down, and that many people believed that it was Fatali that destroyed the formation so that no one else could photograph it. This is heresay of course but from the evidence that the BLM found it does suggest strongly that someone did destroy the formation and that is was not an act of nature. We will never know for sure.

I can assure you that Fatali's shot of the Teapot was not the last photo taken of it before it came down. I had seen Fatali's picture of it maybe in 2003ish. It took me a few years to find it, but eventually I did. I was shooting 35mm at the time, and I made quite a few trips to get the light just right. Once I got into large format, I wanted to go back and re-shoot it on big film. When I got there, it had already fallen. Apparently it had been reported just that week, so unfortunately I missed it by just a couple days. It truly was one of the neatest sandstone structures I've ever seen. So whether or not Fatali knocked it over, I have no clue, but he certainly had shot it years before it fell.

www.plateauvisions.com

That Fatali rumor has been floating around for years and has been attached to several different rock features he has photographed. One version of the rumor has him kicking over a rock feature after photographing it saying "let the bastards try and copy that photograph".

I chock it up to haters going to hate.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I chock it up to haters going to hate.
    I don't know anything about the rumors of the rock formation destruction, which at best is mere speculation, but Fatali definitely does deserve at least some credit for much of the criticisms towards him. He was at least temporarily banned from at least two national parks for acts that many would consider to be vandalism. Of course once you get caught doing such acts, people will jump on the bandwagon and blame him for other acts as well, whether or not he was involved.

Most likely, he had nothing to do with the destruction of the formation in Fantasy Canyon.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I believe Fatali was only banned from two National Parks and it was a result of the same event as the two parks in question are managed under the same umbrella.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ks.html?pg=all

And in that event I think Fatali just used very poor judgement. Personally I enjoy the guys pics and I'll cut him a little slack until he proves himself to be a total verifiable douche.

Post edited.

I thought Joshua Tree as well, but can't find the reference.