Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me find this spot!

I am going to have to hit that on the way to Steamboat. Those formations look really cool. To bad they are constantly changing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very interesting thread. I had never heard of Fantasy Canyon. I really hope that the formation wasn't deliberately destroyed, but there are plenty of idiots in the world, unfortunately.

Reminds me of the Goblet of Venus--try googling that.

yup, this is the ugly side of human

goblet of venus

apparently it had previously been shot at, and this LINK claims that some folks tied a chain to it and toppled it with a jeep, which i read elsewhere happened during the fifties.

of course 'chip off the old block' apparently died of naturally causes in winter 75-76

the prevalent vanalism to prehistoric art and ruins goes without saying.

here's another natural feature destroyed by vandals in 97 in montana http://www.blm.gov/nhp/pubs/brochures/law/eye.htm

OK, they are claiming that that teapot has been standing there for over 50 million years?!?!?

B - U - L - L - S - H - I - T!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Probably the Teapot has been the most famous formation in Fantasy Canyon (and I'm glad I had the chance to see it), but nevertheless there are many more things to see, so it's definately worth visiting it, even without the teapot.

See some examples...

Eva
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Bogley BigShot
    I have to ask....

There are such magnificent places in the USA like Zion National Park and the German's flock to the Wave and other remote places like this. Why? Is it the wide open space and photo ops or what?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I have to ask....

There are such magnificent places in the USA like Zion National Park and the German's flock to the Wave and other remote places like this. Why? Is it the wide open space and photo ops or what?
    I'd say that's one of the reasons.
    Not to forget that those hidden places aren't overcrowded and it's more adventurous.
    People here read travel-reports, see photos and it becomes a must-see to go there.
    Speaking for myself - I just love hiking through this beautiful landscape and take pictures, just surrounded by nature...

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by jolly
    I have to ask....

Not to forget that those hidden places aren't overcrowded and it's more adventurous.
    People here read travel-reports, see photos and it becomes a must-see to go there.
    Speaking for myself - I just love hiking through this beautiful landscape and take pictures, just surrounded by nature...
    I have spent a lot of time at Coyote Buttes and there are so few Americans. You seem to know the area well ------ Do you know of any great spots out there I do not have on my guide yet? I would love to add more.

I have these so far

Coyote Buttes
    Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs
    Cobra Arch
    White Pocket
    Steamboat Rock

North Coyote Buttes
    The Wave

South Coyote Buttes
    Cottonwood Teepees
    Paw Hole

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

I have to ask....

That are exactly one of the reasons why I will go to this special and remote areas. 'Cause places like Zion or Bryce for example are really overcrowd with folks, sometimes that isn't very funny. But I still enjoy places like Zion, it is one of my favorite places here in Utah.
    I am also searching for the special places, the little jewels out there. And it is also the adventure of being out there in the remote areas. Something we haven't here in Germany.
    You can't believe how wonderful it is just being there, surrounded by wonderful landscape and taking nothing with you, just photos and impressions. These are the things I don't wanna miss anymore.
    Like Eva I love hiking and enjoy it just beeing out there in that beautiful landscape.

And now and then you see a few pics of a new spot with this unique rock formations or read a travel report about a spot. And then you can't wait until you will be there by yourself. Really crazy, I know.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by americanhero
    I have to ask....

That are exactly one of the reasons I will go to this special and remote areas. 'Cause places like Zion or Bryce for example are really overcrowd with folks, sometimes that isn't very funny. But I still enjoy places like Zion, it is one of my favorite places here in Utah.
    I am also searching for the special places, the little jewels out there. And it is also the adventure of being out there in the remote areas. Something we haven't here in Germany.
    You can't believe how wonderful it is just being there, surrounded by wonderful landscape and taking nothing with you, just photos and impressions. These are the things I don't wanna miss anymore.
    Like Eva I love hiking and enjoy it just beeing out there in that beautiful landscape.

And now and then you see a few pics of a new spot with this unique rock formations or read a travel report about a spot. And then you can't wait until you will be there by yourself. Really crazy, I know.
    Here is my favorite spot. We went in Winter and there was not another person anywhere. ---- Since you like remote places --- you will LOVE this one! I too love the remote, photogenic places.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm

Here is my favorite spot. We went in Winter and there was not another person anywhere. ---- Since you like remote places --- you will LOVE this one! I too love the remote, photogenic places.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm

Thanks Tanya!! What a great hike
    That`s wonderful. I never heard about it before. And my list with wonderful spots is getting longer and longer.

Last year I did the hike to Plateau Point, but the North Rim is one of the places I wanna do in my further future.

I have spent a lot of time at Coyote Buttes and there are so few Americans. You seem to know the area well ------ Do you know of any great spots out there I do not have on my guide yet? I would love to add more.

I have these so far

Coyote Buttes
    Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs
    Cobra Arch
    White Pocket
    Steamboat Rock

North Coyote Buttes
    The Wave

South Coyote Buttes
    Cottonwood Teepees
    Paw Hole

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm
    I wouldn't say I know the area so well!
    I've been three times at the Wave and the surrounding environment including the North and South Teepees, Top Rock and Sand Cove.
    I'd love to visit SCB or White Pocket and we'd have the time to do so in May, but getting there seems not to be too easy (sandy tracks out there) and we (my husband and I) don't have that much 4WD experience and wouldn't like to go out there all alone.
    By the way, another very colorful area is the Yellow Rock at the Cottonwood Canyon Road.

I wouldn't say I know the area so well!
    I've been three times at the Wave and the surrounding environment including the North and South Teepees, Top Rock and Sand Cove.
    I'd love to visit SCB or White Pocket and we'd have the time to do so in May, but getting there seems not to be too easy (sandy tracks out there) and we (my husband and I) don't have that much 4WD experience and wouldn't like to go out there all alone.
    By the way, another very colorful area is the Yellow Rock at the Cottonwood Canyon Road.
    okay. so you've clearly enjoyed some of the nicer open areas with fantastic features. (been to goblin valley too and gotten on top of the mesa behind, which is essentially eroding into mushrooms and goblins from all sides?)

have you spent time in the canyons (narrow and wide) which are also in the wilds and not swamped by the masses? these can be quite wonderful and fanciful too. constantly changing walls and overhangs as you hike mile after mile, desert varnish painting them all the while. some filled with ancient rock art and ruins ... or perhaps walking along the canyon rim, a wonderful space between a chasm and slickrock wonderland, adorned with magnificent views. oh and the narrow slot canyons are really quite incredible too.

that is, what other types of terrain have you gotten into. tell us some of the other places you've been and what you've enjoyed about them. i'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    [tell us some of the other places you've been and what you've enjoyed about them. i'd love to hear it.

How much time do you have?

[tell us some of the other places you've been and what you've enjoyed about them. i'd love to hear it.

How much time do you have?
    alot ... considering this thread is pseudoeternal

What I like about all those places?
    Generally I

nice, i enjoyed your descriptions. it definitely amplifies the experience, traveling such a long way.

arscenic arch, eh? couple folks around here are responsible for that being named and made better-known.
    although laurent martres & steffen synnatschke both mislabel it, btw, should be arscenic
    as in arsenic (as in a tributary of poison spring cyn) + scenic.
    the arch is named after the slot canyon, arscenic, to which it's adjacent.

looks like you've been a lot of places! very cool. did you do leprechaun just from the bottom? or the whole way through.
    it's a pretty challenging slot from the top down, but quite amazing.

thanks for sharing your impressions. how often do you make it out here?

looks like you've been a lot of places! very cool. did you do leprechaun just from the bottom? or the whole way through.
    it's a pretty challenging slot from the top down, but quite amazing.

thanks for sharing your impressions. how often do you make it out here?
    Unfortunately I've no experience with technical canyoneering so I've done only those parts of Leprachaun that could be done by normal hiking.
    We've walked through the dark tunnel, but then returned.

In two and a half years I've been four times out to the States, 5th time will be in May. I wish I could go over more often and stay longer, but you know, it's a fact of money and days off.

[quote="jolly"]
    Unfortunately I've no experience with technical canyoneering so I've done only those parts of Leprachaun that could be done by normal hiking.
    We've walked through the dark tunnel, but then returned.
    [quote]

perhaps something to look forward to someday.

In two and a half years I've been four times out to the States, 5th time will be in May. I wish I could go over more often and stay longer, but you know, it's a fact of money and days off.
    i hear ya. but still very impressive! looking forward to hearing about your trip in may ...

[
    i hear ya. but still very impressive! looking forward to hearing about your trip in may ...
    Will be dominated by arches I guess.
    We'll fly over to Las Vegas, visit Death Valley, Valley of Fire, Little Finland, Zion, GSENM, The Swell, Arches, Canyonlands, Alstrom Point, Yellow Rock Valley and Grand Canyon.
    So, back to to where we've been before, but still visiting new places...so much to discover...