Thread: Could You Survive?

Could You Survive?

Could You Survive?

Take the quiz
    http://discoverychannelasia.com/i_sh...be_alive/quiz/

Test your survival acumen in some extreme circumstances.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent! I am a true survivor! 10 out of 10!

That snakebite question was kind of vague...wash with soap and water? How about isolate victim, get to hospital immediately, wrap a tight bandage just above entry site, etc, etc, etc
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

goodie I survived. the only thing I missed is if I was swept overboard in the ocean..... good thing I am in a land locked state.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I'll live. Unless I get bitten by a snake - I missed that one. I chose to ice the wound instead of wash it with soap and water.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

YES, I am a survivor 8/10 not too bad i guess

I survived, but I missed the part where the chick fell through the ice. I thought I should rub her down vigorously and give her brandy. That's what I did on all of my dates anyways.

I never thought to take them ice skating though...

step 1.

step 2

step 3

Yes

Damn quicksand!! I thought you just sat there and let the F'n Crocks eat you up!!!

I survived!!! Ya hooo

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I scored 9 out of 10.

I missed the ocean overboard. Hell, If I get swept overboard I'm kicking off my shoes and swimming for it. I'm not just going to float around and wait to die....

I got 7 out of 10, but I think they're missing an option on the bank robber question. If someone puts a gun to your head, shouldn't you just pull your carry piece and put a round though their skull? That's what I was always taught.

I got 8/10.

I missed the snakebite one - I was thinking that ice would constrict the blood vessels and slow the venom from spreading.
    I missed the cold water one - I thought swimming and moving would help produce heat.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I think they're missing an option on the bank robber question. If someone puts a gun to your head, shouldn't you just pull your carry piece and put a round though their skull?
    yep, but they'll argue that it's against the law to carry a gun into a bank, even with a permit. The only way they'll find out I brought it in, is if I plugged the theif anyways.

[rant] Do you think they would prosecute me for protecting them? Who knows, the way things go these days. They'd try to convince me that bank robbers never shoot people, and that everybody was safe already. But, if thieves never shoot anybody, why would the bank heed to their commands if they weren't in danger? [/rant]

But, not to start a whole different topic, there are a few alternatives.

If I'm involved in an armed bank robbery and I'm packing my legally concealed firearm........ I'm poking a hole in the robbers noggin and ending it if the opportunity arises..... No way in hell I'm trusting my fate to some hopped up crack head looking for his next fix.

Let the lawyers work it out later, at least I'm still alive and those around me are still alive. It would be next to impossible to find a jury in Utah that would convict you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I think they're missing an option on the bank robber question. If someone puts a gun to your head, shouldn't you just pull your carry piece and put a round though their skull?
    yep, but they'll argue that it's against the law to carry a gun into a bank, even with a permit. The only way they'll find out I brought it in, is if I plugged the theif anyways.

[rant] Do you think they would prosecute me for protecting them? Who knows, the way things go these days. They'd try to convince me that bank robbers never shoot people, and that everybody was safe already. But, if thieves never shoot anybody, why would the bank heed to their commands if they weren't in danger? [/rant]

But, not to start a whole different topic, there are a few alternatives.
    Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six. (old but still true)

Gun to your head and your carrying concealed?? To many movements to get the concealed. Better to try and disarm.

Just My Two Bits Worth!
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Gun to your head and your carrying concealed?? To many movements to get the concealed. Better to try and disarm.

I know that sounds rather simplistic, but think about it. You might distract, break away, or whatever but I doubt that the slowest of bad guys is going to allow you reach under your clothing for a concealed before he double taps you.

Back to the subject at hand. Good Reading
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

I got 8 out of 10, went for ice on the snake bit. I also said conserve water, good thing I live in a state without deserts.

If someone puts a gun to your head, shouldn't you just pull your carry piece and put a round though their skull? That's what I was always taught.
    I'm not going to say it... not going to say it...

James

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Walker

Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six. (old but still true)
    I like that.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Walker

Just My Two Bits Worth!
    I think you are correct - unless of course you can draw like Doc Holliday or Wild Bill!
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I noticed a few missed the cold water one. Here's the "how come" for the answer:

Water conducts heat away from your body at about 20 times the rate that air does. Moving causes the water you have trapped close to your skin to be swept away by the movement resulting in covective cooling that is much faster than if air were the medium around you. Hypothermia will occur in minutes.

However, the "correct" answer presumes two critical things:
    1. That there is something for you to grab to stay afloat.
    2. That rescue is going to be quick.

You still have to use your head.

BTW - I passed.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

8 of 10 for me--I missed on the bear and snakebite.