Thread: AVOID the Book Cliffs

AVOID the Book Cliffs

I would caution people to avoid the Book Cliffs in the next few months. I went on a backpacking trip April 7-8 (Friday and Saturday). The backpack was in the Colorado side of the Book Cliffs, but I imagine it is the same for the Utah side.

My three year old son and I had planned to hike a three day loops in the Book Cliffs (Near Grand Junction) up Main Canyon, Spring Creek Canyon, and loop back down Cottonwood Canyon to Main Canyon, but the area is having a MAJOR tick infestation. I don't know what it is this year, but it seems to be epedemic. Perhaps due to the wet weather after drought years?

So, how many ticks compose of an infestation? On Friday, we pulled 49(!!) ticks off us, of which about 1/3 were on my son. I've never seen that many in my life. Evertime we walked near a bush we were covered. Main Canyon was OK, but Spring Creek Canyon is more brushy, and that's where we got them. We camped near the head of the canyon, and changed plans and decided to bail down over the top of the ridge and down Coal Canyon since it is open and less brushy. Our hike was cut one day short, and we hiked a tough 9 miles on Saturday. We still pulled five ticks off us on Saturday, including one that started it's biting of Kessler where the sun doesn't shine.

I would caution people to avoid the Book Cliffs in the next few months. The same problem is probably happening in places like Colorado National Monument and the Black Ridge since it is nearby and at similar elevation. Use caution and bug juice if headed for the area.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ticks!!! UGHH man I can't believe you pulled 49 ticks off you, thanks for the fair warning, my cousin was planning on hiking down in that area in the next two weeks and I will have to let him know that there is a major tick problem. I hope you found them all, good luck!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

You advise using tick juice, but didn't say if you and your son were. If so, what was the DEET percentage? We have lots and lots of ticks in our pasture that get on us when we don't spray, but leave us alone if we use the 30 percent flavor. Are Book Cliff ticks immune to DEET?

Thanks in advance. -Richard

On our jaunt to Signal Peak, I got a tick. You just have to watch out.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

HOLY SH*T!!! I'V GOT ONE CRAWLING UP MY LEG!!!!!!

False alarm. I hate it when people start talking about ticks!