Thread: The Squeeze

The Squeeze

WOW!!! This trip was thrown together at the last minute on Friday night. My two buddies Pete and Eric both had Saturday open, so I decided to give Pete and Eric a tast of the Squeeze. Pete has done canyons with me before, but Eric has not. Although, out of the three of us, he is the best climber. We took off about 9:30, loaded up on goodies at Wal-Mart in Price and made it to Hidden Splendor at around 2:00 ish. The road out there was in remarkably good condition. No mud and no washboards. I was surprised to see two other groups out there that weren't canyoneering. We threw a tarp out and slept under the stars. We were up and at it by 7 and on the trail by 8. By the way, anybody know when they put up that road block that prevents you from taking a vehicle down to the river? After a nice hike down to the the trailhead, the biznitch of the hike began. Hiking the Moroni Slopes blows!!! We decide that we were going to get all of the canyon we could in, so we hiked all the way to where Seger's Hole flows in. We were prepared (well not quite, Eric forgot his wetsuit) for wet conditions. After a brief lunch of lunchables and twix bars we were off for the excitement. We were immediately confronted with flooded hallways and full potholes. We decided that since one of us didn't have a wetsuit we would all suffer the cold of the water. The first plunge in took the air right out of your lungs. Cold cold water. After about a half hour, Eric was shivering pretty bad and Pete was too, so I loaned my suit to Eric and both him and Pete suited up. I am not trying to sound like a Stud or good Samaritan or anything, but I really didn't think it was THAT bad. As long as I got out of the water quick, the 70 degree weather would warm you up. When we were in the shade, we tried to just keep moving. Seger's Hole is brim full of water for those who have it on radar in the next few weeks. It was a toss up between swimmer potholes and those that were chest deep. Most of them you could swim across and flop out, but there were one or two that required a partner assist to exit. All of the bolts looked to me like they were in stellar shape. On that note, I want to ask the opinion on a no-bolt ethic for this canyon. For me personally, I was glad that all the drops were bolted. This canyon is so long with the exit and approach hikes that to stop and build anchors would push you near the limits to do it in one day. What are everbody else's opinions on this? Although it is a little cold this time of year to do this canyon without a wetsuit, I still had a blast. The last time I did it, it was nearly dry and required the help of partner assists to exit the potholes, but it seems that it was not as exhausting as swimming through it. Another question for you ACA techs, how do you manage a pack toss while treading water? Seems quite the challenge when the water levels are lower, but not low enough to stand in. Anyhow, Eric is now hooked on the sport. I took quite a few pics, but by the end we were pushing to get out so we missed a lot of the big drops into potholes. We made it back to the car in 11 hours which seemed a long time to me. That canyon still ranks high up on my favorite list despite the slog to get there.

Reedus
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: TR - The Squeeze

Sweet pics Looks like a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Another question for you ACA techs, how do you manage a pack toss while treading water? Seems quite the challenge when the water levels are lower, but not low enough to stand in.
    Always best for someone to throw a pack BEFORE getting in the water if at all possible. Send one guy in to try and climb out, if he needs help send a second, if those two can't get out then the third person throws a pack across the pothole from the top rather than one of the water treading guys in the hole. If that doesn't work pull out the G-pick (just kidding). That's how I try to do it at least, some of the old pro's might have better suggestions.

Also in your photos you asked if it's still a bridge if it's dry underneath, yes, weather it's a bridge or not depends on how it was formed. If it was formed by water it's a bridge, even if it only has water under it during a flood. If it wasn't formed by water, it's an Arch.

Eric.

Thanks for the TR! Looks like a blast! I love the Squeeze. It's near the top of my top five list.

The first time I did the Squeeze was about 5 or 6 years ago, and that log that's jammed in between the sandstone walls was there back then too. I wonder when it'll break free.

You guys are freakin loco going through the Squeeze sans wetsuits in April. I've done it w/o wetsuits before, but that was in June, and even then it was a cold day!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

By the way, anybody know when they put up that road block that prevents you from taking a vehicle down to the river?
    The Muddy River Gorge was blocked two years ago. Blocking ATV's from driving through the gorge was part of a deal that re-opened the Behind the Reef road to ATV's.

I want to ask the opinion on a no-bolt ethic for this canyon. For me personally, I was glad that all the drops were bolted.
    At one time "The Squeeze" was a canyon for advanced canyoneers. It has since been engineered into a rap-n-swim kiddie canyon. Now a rap-n-swim kiddie canyon is always a fun time, but there is really no canyons left in the Swell to aspire too. So I guess the question is "Do you enjoy all the canyons in the Swell being accessible to beginner/intermediate canyoneers or would you like to see a few canyons left to test your skills in?"

Another question for you ACA techs, how do you manage a pack toss while treading water?
    Since I am NOT an ACA tech type I'm probably not quailied to answer this question.....

Anyhoo..... you do the pack toss BEFORE you enter the water. It's almost impossible to toss a full pack while swimming.

Now a little hint on a non-ACA technique I have used..... clip several packs together with carabiners and make a raft. While floating on the pack-raft you can do a pack toss, or climb out, or high reach with a cheater stick.

Nice TR, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    At one time "The Squeeze" was a canyon for advanced canyoneers. It has since been engineered into a rap-n-swim kiddie canyon. Now a rap-n-swim kiddie canyon is always a fun time, but there is really no canyons left in the Swell to aspire too. So I guess the question is "Do you enjoy all the canyons in the Swell being accessible to beginner/intermediate canyoneers or would you like to see a few canyons left to test your skills in?"

Shane - I've never understood this mind-set. The Squeeze and all other canyons that were "advanced" at one time can still be a challenge.........IGNORE THE BOLTS and VOILA!! It's advanced again!!

I am all for the bolts in this canyon. It is way too long to have to take the time to construct natural anchors for 15+ rappels. By the way, if it has been downgraded to a rap n' swim, why do all the sites still have it rated at a 4 instead of a 3?

Reedus

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I've never understood this mind-set.
    Lets try this a different way.....

Today if you tell me you did "The Squeeze", it means you probably had an enjoyable day of canyoneering......

It used to mean something totally different to say you had done "The Squeeze". At one time The Squeeze was a test piece. Right or wrong.... it used to be those who had done The Squeeze were entitled to do a little extra chest thumping.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    The Squeeze and all other canyons that were "advanced" at one time can still be a challenge.........IGNORE THE BOLTS and VOILA!! It's advanced again!!
    Yeah right..... and I'm almost a virgin. Next your going to tell me what a good swimmer you are with your life jacket on......

At this point in your canyoneering career doing The Squeeze all bolted up makes you feel as if you were just elected prom queen. unfortunately, as your skills increase you will discover what it feels like to be left alone in the backseat of a Camero with your prom dress pulled up over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    By the way, if it has been downgraded to a rap n' swim, why do all the sites still have it rated at a 4 instead of a 3?
    Because similar to climbing you rate a route by its most difficult move. And if you have to do the ONE real keeper pothole without the traverse line it can be a 4 to escape in certain conditions. If the traverse line is in place the route is a 3.

To the best of my knowledge the traverse line has been fixed for the last 5 years. At one time there was some serious discussion about removing this crutch. One day someone will remove it and on that day the canyon will be a 4 and some party will be force to deal with the obstacle for real. So for that reason the 4 rating still holds.

I still don't get it....If you did the Squeeze years ago in the pre-bolt era, and then returned years later to re-visit it only to discover all the fixed bolts in place....does that OBLIGATE you to use the bolts simply because they are there? What, is someone standing there with a gun threatening to put a bullet in your head unless you use the bolts over natural anchors?

My point is yes, ok, the bolts are there.....SO? If you don't like em, don't use em!

I understand your point completely.... Do you understand mine???

At one time The Squeeze was a test piece, to complete it meant you were a damn good canyoneer. To say you had done The Squeeze meant you had graduated to anther level that was understood among your peers. Today if you told me you did the canyon without clipping the bolts I'd probably yawn and ask "why?"

Don't get me wrong, The Squeeze is still a great canyon, maybe the best in the Swell, but it is no longer the test piece it once was.

The good thing I have discovered about this bolt argument is if you don't "get it" now.... most of you soon will....

Ya, I get it. You're right about it being downgraded from what it once was. There are plenty of canyons out there that require mad skeeeeels to complete, even though The Squeeze may have dropped off that list.

In a way it's a good thing though. This sport is just gonna get more popular, and the masses need somewhere to go. Let them do the Squeeze, and the more adventurous can attempt to do Sandthrax, or the other gazillion slots around the Powell area that are insanely difficult.

Yeah.... new routes are being added at a pretty good clip to take up the slack.

Originally when the bolt debate began the problem was EVERYTHING was instantly being dumbed down the moment it hit the main stream. The first attempt at curtailing the bolt epidemic was to keep everything secret. That plan backfired badly when it was discovered the only way three guys can keep a secret is if two of them are dead. The problem with "'keep it secret" was word would leak out about a location and then a group would go in and do the route loaded for bear. Often this loaded for bear included a large supply of bolts.

So the senior canyoneering community put their heads together and came up with a new plan to slow the bolt epidemic. It was agreed upon that "education" would be the new cornerstone. This is where the saying "Get Some Skills" came from. The idea was that mentoring was the correct path. Give the newbies the correct tools and knowledge to use them and they would "see the light".

Since the idea of education was implemented the proliferation of bolts has decreased dramatically. An added bonus of this plan was that the skill set of the canyoneering community as a whole was raised tremendously.

Originally when the bolt debate began the problem was EVERYTHING was instantly being dumbed down the moment it hit the main stream. The first attempt at curtailing the bolt epidemic was to keep everything secret.
    Ironically, it was largely a result of the people whom were against bolting that unintentionally partally caused the large scale bolting projects in the canyons to occur.

This is a good thread to bring this up in because Segars Hole/Squeeze is the prime example of what I am talking about.

In 1992, Steve Allen's book came out detailing the upper end of The Squeeze. He described the canyon as "impossible to descend farther" or something similar to that effect. I don't remember the exact words, but could look it up. Since Steve Allen is a canyoneer who doesn't place bolts, people reading his book took the phrase of "impossible to descend farther" as "impossible to descend farther without a bolt kit and bag full of bolts". Well, this is exactly what happened, and where the bolters got the idea to do it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Ironically, it was largely a result of the people whom were against bolting that unintentionally partally caused the large scale bolting projects in the canyons to occur.
    Yeah.... keep it secret backfired badly....

And the guys who initially started the "keep it secret" plan are well aware of their error.

The other problem with "keep it secret" and Kelsey's tactic of "G-pick" is they were both formulated with good intentions that went bad. The biggest problem now with those two methods is some folks never got the memo that these methods don't work over the long haul. Some folks continue to use methods that are out dated or antique.

Yeah.... keep it secret backfired badly....
    Interestly, I wouldn't call giving beta on half a canyon keeping the other half of the canyon secret.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Interestly, I wouldn't call giving beta on half a canyon keeping the other half of the canyon secret.
    AAAaaaa.... you lost me here......

AAAa
    aaa.... you lost me here......
    I meant that since half, or at least part of the canyon was in a guidebook since 1992, it wasn't a secret after that, even though the guidebook only mentioned the upper end. Same with canyons like Music, Cable, etc, all published by that same author, even though the entire beta wasn't given for the entire canyon.

GOTCHA.... sometimes I'm a little slow on the up take.

I think Knotted Rope had the same deal if I remember correctly.....

Actually I use this to my advantage when reading hiking guidebooks and TR's. It's a good way to find new slots.... just look for the section on "can't go any further because...".

And I believe SA also works under a slightly different principle. Something about introduce enough people to the wonders of Southern Utah and they will protect it.

I think Knotted Rope had the same deal if I remember correctly.....
    Yep. Neon and Chop too.

Actually I use this to my advantage when reading hiking guidebooks and TR's. It's a good way to find new slots.... just look for the section on "can't go any further because...".
    Yep, that's exactly how I had the idea to do Cable. It was easier than expected for "you can't continue", but still fun and challenging.