Thread: Best directions to Gooseberry Mesa

Best directions to Gooseberry Mesa

Wow, it took me forever to finally do this, after several people have been asking. Sorry.

This is the best way.

We discovered a much easier, faster, and more direct way to get to the trailhead a couple of years ago. I will walk you through all the way from the I-15 Hurricane exit by clicking on the green Google Earth location tools on each step; the GE tools are pretty seamless, as they'll "drive" you step by step. Also, it may help if you turn the "roads" option on. Just check the box on the bottom left of GE.

1. GE Hurricane Get off on the Hurricane (hur-uh-kun) exit, either hwy 17 or 9 junction. Just get to Hurricane.

2. GE Hwy 59 beginning When you get in town, instead of heading up hwy 9 towards Zion National Park, you will want to go to Hwy 59. This starts on 100 South and Main.

3. GE Hwy 59 below Gooseberry Hwy 59 will begin by climbing NE up the cliff, and then heading South. A few miles later, the first mesa on your left is actually Gooseberry Mesa. At this point, the road straightens out East.

4. GE Turnoff point
    The road turns South East and you will pass a Chevron on your left after about a mile. About 1/2 mile after you pass the Chevron, the road turns almost directly south. This is where you look on your left for the turnoff to the dirt road.

5. GE Cattleguard turnoff Now, you are on the dirt road heading directly North. Follow this for a couple of miles. Right when the dirt road starts to turn, and looks like it's going downhill, you will see a road on your left, with a cattleguard. Take it.

6. GE fork at the restrooms You are now on the Mesa, heading in a "general" NorthWest direction. There is only one MAIN dirt road. You will cross another cattleguard, and a couple of miles later, you will come upon a fork at some restrooms. Take the left fork. (you're almost there!)

7. GE Gooseberry Parking Lot Last step. The road is getting a little rougher. Don't worry, I've made it several times with my Ford Taurus, and a MiniVan! Just keep on truckin' , it's about a mile away and well worth the drive. You'll have no problem spotting the parking lot.

Now, this is our preferred route. Even if you are already in the area of Zion, JEM, or Slickrock Swamp, you can drive up the JEM trail dirt road, which is just below the Mesa, and you can turn left when you hit Hwy 59. But it's up to you.

if not, then read below.

This is not the best way.
    Although this may be the most well known directions for getting to the trailhead of Gooseberry Mesa, involving going through Rockville (right before Springdale).Take Bridge road, merging directly west on to Grafton road as seen in the image below. GE location tool here

Shortly after, you will head straight south at the fork. GE left fork
    This will be all dirt road. Some years are decent, but other years are HORRIBLE. After going "Baja" up the dirt road a few miles, you'll run into the same cattleguard turnoff as described in the first directions above. From there it's the same. GE Cattleguard turnoff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sombeech be da man!!!! Like I said before, good work soldier! Carry on!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Hopefully the Google Earth "flowed" for you all like it did for me. Maybe I'll do this method on all future trails. Any suggestions, just let me know.