Thread: Mud Nationals 06

Mud Nationals 06

Hey all, the Highlifter Mud Nationals was an event I won't soon forget.

Somewhere on the order of 9,000 people showed up on a 4,000 acre ranch known as Mud Creek near Jacksonville TX, a few hours SE of Dallas.

I couldn't resist so I went, shot some pics and some video.

This event is basically a giant mud festival. The riding is nothing like the trail riding I am use to out west. What trail? This is a HUGE party. In fact the riding just NEVER stops. It goes all night. Each morning there are hundreds of abandoned ATV's out in the mud along the highline, a 1000 yard stretch of swamp.

This mudding brings out the creative juices and the modifications these guys make to their ATV's are out of this world.

Here are a few shots. a whole bunch more shots are here: MUDNats06

Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those are sweet but a lot of captions for the photos could be "redneck with an engineering degree"
    SUWA Hates you, JUST SAY NO TO SUWA
    "Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared". Jack Handy

I think the engineering only extends to the "hey yall, lets give this whirl and see how it works" level.

Followed quickly by "Sh&t, now what?"
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

sombeech,

He did very well right up to thepoint he stalled and came in dead last.
    He was in the lead and I believe would have won his heat.

But overall he was massively outgunned by the big bores.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    sombeech,

He did very well right up to thepoint he stalled and came in dead last.
    He was in the lead and I believe would have won his heat.

But overall he was massively outgunned by the big bores.
    So, the pizza cutters up front were a good idea, he just didn't have the power for it?

that's some crazy shit, thanks for the pics, looks like it would be a blast to do though.

He was underpowered. But I think he needed something like paddles on the rear. The rears were a bit narrow.

Like I know anything about this stuff. I never felt so clueless. These guys had a thousand theories about propelling themselves in mud.

They can and did drone on for hours. I cracked a beer, then another, then another.

LOL I been watching these Southern boys and if you think I'm taking my new King Quad into that pit yer all nuts! I cant believe how much these guys spend on extended suspension, snorkels, nitrous oxide systems, even some with oxygen tanks to keep the engine running under all that mud.
    One guy said you buy a $7,000 ATV then after you add another $7,000 in muddin gear your ready to ride. His wife chimed in with $7,000??????? LIKE HECK!!! it's more like $10,000 in extras LOL. By the way we were talking about HER bike not his :D

Redmans shot a ton of video so we hope to get it online when we get it edited.

I don't know if you have been here to Mud Creek but they have a trail they cal the power line trail. As the name says it's an access road to a power line through mud hell. This morning they said it looks like an ATV grave yard. The riding went on into the wee hours of the morning and many an ATV got so stuck the riders just gave up and walked back to their RV's or found a tree to lay under and passed out. The Park owners are down there now with a big ol tractor collecting a nice recovery fee from the whole bunch.

Here a few photos from the "Bad to the Bone" ATV modifications contest.

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
    Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money