Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utah lesser known classics

Under the destined-to-be-classics/quickly-becoming-classics (these fall somewhere between "unknown classics" and established classics).
    Icebox (Zion), Larry Canyon, East Fork Pasture, Hogs, Cheesebox, might qualify too, at least down the road.

Same with Baker slot in Escalante. Wait until a new book comes out, and more will be on the list.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FWIW: The two forks of Baker are currently known as "Nasty Ass" (WF) and "Tight Ass" (EF). But I'm guessing Kelsey will subsitute something more fun like Big Little Middle East Fork of Baker.....

I have to say that when Kelsey puts a canyon near the top of one of his "best" lists it is almost an instant classic.

Scott, I hear Kelsey's next book will be a revision of "Hiking the CP", is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Big Little Middle East Fork of Baker.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Scott, I hear Kelsey's next book will be a revision of "Hiking the CP", is that correct?
    Yep and in full color photography(slightly more expensive). The technical guide will follow in a couple of years. Also after the CP guide, he's going to start needing to use computer-drawn maps rather than his usual hand-drawn maps.

[sorry i know you fielded the question to scott.]

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Yep and in full color photography(slightly more expensive). The technical guide will follow in a couple of years.
    When is Hiking the CP do out?

The full color sounds sweet.... I'll pay extra for good pictures. I'd pay double for good useful maps.

FWIW: The two forks of Baker are currently known as "Nasty Ass" (WF) and "Tight Ass" (EF). But I'm guessing Kelsey will subsitute something more fun like Big Little Middle East Fork of Baker.....
    It is Barb Pollyea whom named Nasty and Tight years ago, at least as early as the early 1990's, probably before. Steve Allen changed the name to Baker, and since he published the name in a book, I assume his name is the one that will stick even though it post dates Nasty and Tight.

Anyway, Kelseys book is due May 1. It is the Canyon Hiking Guide 5. All technical hikes are taken out.

The new edition of the Technical Guide is coming out later this year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'll stay out of the argument over the definition of classic, but I'd definitely have to say the Gem Canyon forks definitely qualify as a classic in the sense that I'd build a trip around them (keeping in mind that it takes me 2 days to get there). 'Course that may be my personal tastes and the fact that I've been kinda nostalgic about them lately.

Speaking for the Basin and Range country, Ibapah and Notch Peaks are definitely off the radar outside of Utah, but I'd recommend them to any of my mountain-saturated friends.

Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost
    Speaking for the Basin and Range country, Ibapah and Notch Peaks are definitely off the radar outside of Utah, but I'd recommend them to any of my mountain-saturated friends.
    Dang.... I live in Utah and have not done either. Guess I beter put then on my to-do list.

I'll stay out of the argument over the definition of classic, but I'd definitely have to say the Gem Canyon forks definitely qualify as a classic in the sense that I'd build a trip around them (keeping in mind that it takes me 2 days to get there). 'Course that may be my personal tastes and the fact that I've been kinda nostalgic about them lately.
    Post a TR if you make it to them. They are great.

Notch Peak and Ibapah have become too well known for me to put them on the list, though I did put Tatow Knob on the list, which is north of and in the same range as Notch.

When we used to go to Notch as kids (my mother's family is from Delta), we wouldn't see anyone. Nowdays, you run into people on the weekends. Same with Ibapah.

Those mountains aren't crowded, but still well known enough that I kept them off the list. Still highly recommended and not crowded at all.

Notch Peak is starting to become rather famous due to the fact that it's huge cliff is one of the highest in North America. It has been featured in some magazines. In a few years, it could become a real "classic"; the ones Shane is refering to.

I'd argue that famous in the basin is a relative thing. In four trips to those two areas, I've encountered exactly one group, and they were shooting up beer cans! Maybe it was just good timing for me (or my astonishingly bad eyesight).

The Gems (Middle Fork, anyway) already has a TR involving me. You did a fine job with that! If you look closely at one of your photos, you can actually see my ample butt in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    The new edition of the Technical Guide is coming out later this year.
    Actually no, it's not coming out for a few years.

As far as Notch Peak goes, very nice hike, and there is nothing like staring down a 3000'+ vertical cliff (or whatever it is)....that was lots o' fun!!

It is Barb Pollyea whom named Nasty and Tight years ago, at least as early as the early 1990's, probably before.
    Actually... if you want to be accurate..... I asked Barb about this last night. She got the names from Dennis Turville and friends.

If I understand things correctly Dennis and company were the first recreational canyoneers to descend the Baker Forks along with several other canyon routes in the area. This all occured in the late 70's.

Neon - the Cathedral is unique
    Choprock - regardless of the epic

The Gems (Middle Fork, anyway) already has a TR involving me.

Yep fun trip. It's amazing that I can't seem to get anyone from Utah to come do an unbeta-ed canyon with me, but I can find people to drive all the way down for Canada to do one. What's up with Utahns?

Actually no, it's not coming out for a few years.

Thanks for the update. I haven't talked to Mike for a long time about the tech guide.

Actually... if you want to be accurate..... I asked Barb about this last night. She got the names from Dennis Turville and friends.

If I understand things correctly Dennis and company were the first recreational canyoneers to descend the Baker Forks along with several other canyon routes in the area. This all occured in the late 70's.
    Thanks for the correction. Barb told me about those canyons 10 years ago or so. I remember she said she calls them Nasty and Tight, so I assumed they were her names. In case, the Nasty and Tight names pre-date Allen's published name of Baker Slot. I haven't kept up with or talked to Barb in seven years or so, so thanks for the correction.

Here's another one for you. I know that Neon Canyon was known as Caverns Hollow at least as early as the 1950's. I heard that it was actually Steve Allen whom changed the name to Neon, but it's possible that this was wrong???? Anyway, I first heard the Neon name in April 1988, but don't know how long it was it existance before then. Any idea when the Neon name came about and by whom?

Yep fun trip. It's amazing that I can't seem to get anyone from Utah to come do an unbeta-ed canyon with me, but I can find people to drive all the way down for Canada to do one. What's up with Utahns?
    I thought about this Scott and my best answer is because your un-betaed trips always seem to involve some Herculean obstacle like a 3 day slog over the top of Mexican Mountain combined with a 200 mile car shuttle.

I know that

I come from a backpacking background so long slogs aren't really a big deal to me, unless the canyon really sucks. My biggest thing is taking time off work and school. I basically can only go on trips when I have a break from school, your trips never fit my schedule. Come to think of it most trips don't fit my schedule except the ones I plan. Some day I'd like to do an un-beta'd canyon with you, but probably won't happen until I'm done with school, which sometimes feels like will be never.

Eric.

I thought about this Scott and my best answer is because your un-betaed trips always seem to involve some Herculean obstacle like a 3 day slog over the top of Mexican Mountain combined with a 200 mile car shuttle.
    Not my next one. The only thing unusual is that you have to swim across the Yampa River, and there will be some climbing involved. You should come.

Awfully tempting, Scott, if that's the canyon I think it is! Too bad you aren't doing it around, oh, late September, otherwise I'd make a side trip for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I come from a backpacking background so long slogs aren't really a big deal to me, unless the canyon really sucks. My biggest thing is taking time off work and school. I basically can only go on trips when I have a break from school, your trips never fit my schedule. Come to think of it most trips don't fit my schedule except the ones I plan. Some day I'd like to do an un-beta'd canyon with you, but probably won't happen until I'm done with school, which sometimes feels like will be never.
    Eric.
    Everytime you post an invite, scott, I wish I could come. The current job, with its 10 days off a year, just doesn't cut it (I'll be down to 2 left by mid May! I'm going to have to talk to the boss and/or find a new job!). Another factor is that between brothers, cousins, and a pile of good friends that are hooked on canyoneering, its tough to go on a trip without a couple newbies begging to tag along, and I enjoy accomodating them because it means spending a weekend with good friends and family. One of these times, I'll manage to come along, but it may not be for till next winter or spring.