Thread: Funny what sand does to a camcorder...

Funny what sand does to a camcorder...

Anybody know a good place to get camcorders cleaned? Seems a little sand managed to seep into mine over the weekend and it does not sound good at all anymore!
    'If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience' -Woodrow Wilson

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Funny what sand does to a camcorder...

Quote Originally Posted by mossimo64
    Anybody know a good place to get camcorders cleaned? Seems a little sand managed to seep into mine over the weekend and it does not sound good at all anymore!
    I dropped one on Sanibel Island in Florida circa 2003, I just ended up tossing it in the garbage. I took it to Inkleys and they said it was cheaper just to get a new one rather than fix it as the cost of fixing is really, really steep. Giant bummer.

If you are going to get rid of it I will take it off your hands. (if you are going to just through it out) It seems like a waste to me...I would just try to take it apart, my electronics teacher might be able to help me clean it. I'm not an expert or anything, but I might be able to find a use for it. (I have tons of crap that I "might be able to find a use for someday" )

I dropped one in a sandy river. I immedately pulled the battery and did NOT attempt to turn it on. When I got home I dried everything out completely. Then I got out the air compressor and blew all the sand out of every nook and cranny......

.....It still works like a charm.....

YMMV

Once your get the Camera cleaned buy some Gaffers Tape and seal it up.

We learned to tape up all the possible paths for dust and grit to get in. Gaffers tape is similar to Duct tape, but unlike Duct tape when you peal it off after being on something for months is comes right off leaving behind no sticky crap. It was developed for the movie industry and has been used for years to keep things taped down, tied up and sealed on the movie sets. It's not cheep tape but holds as good or better than any I've seen and can be reused over and over again. It's also water proof so it will help keep out water as well as dust and sand.

It's available on many camera supply websites and well worth the price.
    Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
    Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money

The worst part is that I have ruined two digital cameras doing the same thing, never seem to learn I guess. I picked up a couple botttles of 'gas duster' and attempted to clean the whole thing. Helped but still not working. Appreciate the tips, think I will just keep cleaning, cant get any worse right?
    'If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience' -Woodrow Wilson