Thread: Southern Utah camping suggestions (off HWY 89)

Southern Utah camping suggestions (off HWY 89)

This June, my husband's sister and brother are coming out from New Jersey for a visit. We will be taking a road trip, all of us, to the Grand Canyon. However, I would like to stop somewhere along the way and camp so that we don't have to do the whole 9 hour trip in one bang. Plus I want to show off some Utah.

Here's a map of the area to refresh your memory. Now sister-in-law is NOT a camper, but she's going to have to suck it up. I want to be at an established place so there are toilets and running water.

Where would be the best place to impress them (second week of June)? Also, it will be a short stop, camp there, and move on the next day. Maybe a short hike. Somewhere probably between HWY 20/89 and Kanab.

- Zion NP
    - Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP
    - Cedar Breaks NM
    - Bryce Canyon NP
    - NF campground
    - ????

I think Zion would be amazing, but it would be such a tease to just camp there. The shuttle will be in full swing so a "short hike" won't be very likely I thinking.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There were some nice links to Snow Canyon

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php...ght=lava+tubes

hope this will help.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'm no expert on the area around Panguitch, but I'd be inclined to stop and hike through the Queen's Garden or Wall Street in Bryce.

Even in June, the weather in Bryce can be quite brisk. I wouldn't expect frost on the tent but it would only have to be about 15
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    There were some nice links to Snow Canyon

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php...ght=lava+tubes

hope this will help.
    I agree. Some good mild camping in Snow canyon and the temps would be good for her. There is also some fun easy hikes in the area. A few more pics here http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142

Also a few short hikes to Indian ruins.

Planned on staying near Snow Canyon when I bag Signal Peak.

Looks like a great place to see.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Red Canyon, just outside of Bryce is a nice, beautiful camping area--not sure on the facilities--last time I was there, which was about 20 years ago, it was pit toilets, though they had running water at the campsites and horseshoe pits. Things may have improved from the semi-primitive. Cedar Breaks may not be snow free at that time of year, but it's certainly spectacular and there are a lot of camping areas nearby.

I love Snow Canyon, but it's a long ways from highway 89, plus the second week of June it's going to most probably be blazing hot there. I've been there a lot, but it's a good place earlier in the season--at least in my opinion.

Re: Southern Utah camping suggestions (off HWY 89)

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    Now sister-in-law is NOT a camper, but she's going to have to suck it up. I want to be at an established place so there are toilets and running water.
    If you have to have running water then you sister-in-law isn't really sucking it up is she? I know of a bunch of campgrounds with running water along 89. They are called motels. What the hell is the point of "camping" if you are not willing to squat in the bushes and use bottled water. KOA's and "camping" like that blows, you might as well leave your tent at home and cough up the $10 more and get a hotel. IMO - End rant

But to help you out, I would second Red Canyon campground about 10 miles off Highway 89 up Highway 12, 20 minutes passed Panguich. I stayed there in 2002 and there were pit toilets and waterspouts. But according to the website they have upgraded to flushing toilets:

FACILITIES:

-37 Auto/tent/trailer units
    -Some modification of facilities to assist users with physical impairments
    -Group Picnic Area (unit 27)
    -Paved roads and spurs
    -Drinking water

-Flush toilets
    -Shower facilities
    -Trailer dump station
    -Volleyball court
    -Horseshoe pit

http://www.fs.fed.us/dxnf/recreation...redcanyon.html

James
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, she has to suck up camping IN GENERAL - hotels aren't in the budget. I think there are levels of camping. No, I personally don't need running water when I camp, but I am going to try to make it comfy camping for her sake. Nevertheless it is STILL camping - even if you don't think so. I don't want to have to listen to her bitch and moan about squatting and peeing, it's my vacation too. At the very least toilets, we have many 5 gallon containers for water. Tell you the truth I don't even know why she wants to come to Utah in the first place, it doesn't seem like her cup of tea. I would be just fine if she stayed in NJ. - End of Rant.

Snow Canyon looks great, but I think it's a bit out of the way. Bryce Canyon is looking nice though. There's shorter hikes and developed campgrounds and has the wow factor. I've biked in Red Canyon but never saw the actual park myself.

Good job everyone! Thanks!