Thread: Windows running on a Mac?

Windows running on a Mac?

Yes it's true and possible with the new intel-based macs...albeit no simple task.

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/...19952/12234/2/

stefan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Windows running on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan

Yes it's true and possible with the new intel-based macs...albeit no simple task.

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/...19952/12234/2/

stefan
    That's too bad. Now the Mac will be crashing more.

Actually windows has been on macs for some time. I have a program called Virtual PC installed on my powerbook (G4). I can use any windows application and it runs in a window within my mac operating system. I use this for testing and I also remote into other windows machines for testing.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=virtualpc

Although this is a bit different than the article.

Right this is VERY different from anything before....this is WINDOWS BEING INSTALLED DIRECTLY. here's a vid if want to see the installation and the running of windows on the mac....

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...006_xp_mac.mov

stefan

WIDERS' ON MY MAC....BLASPHEMY!

i ran virtual PC on one of my older macs and hated it. it was an older version and super buggy. my philosophy now is, if i can't get it on my MAC, then it's obviously not worthy of even being used...

edit: oh man i just watched that video.. cant tell what make me more sick.
    the winders logo on that imac or all that video shaking....

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    my philosophy now is, if i can't get it on my MAC, then it's obviously not worthy of even being used...
    Agreed....

Don't get me wrong i am not suggesting that anyone should use windows on their mac. i will never do this installation, i suppose it's just interesting that it can be done. I guess with this method of installation, you partition the drive and install windows on that partition. then you can either boot the computer in OS X or Windows XP. That's a cool option if you are someone who LOVES the mac, but needs to be able to use windows for compatability issues, say with business collaborations or whatever.

personally i am about mac and unix, open source in many regards is the ideal.

to each his own. but yes macs rule

stefan

stefan, this is also possible on an external drive like a Lacie, ran through a Mac. for a while i had 3 partitions on my external. one for music, one for video, and one as a bootable hardrive backup. works sweet!

stefan, this is also possible on an external drive like a Lacie, ran through a Mac. for a while i had 3 partitions on my external. one for music, one for video, and one as a bootable hardrive backup. works sweet!
    i guess i am not sure what you mean? are you talking about installing windows?

stefan

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    i guess i am not sure what you mean? are you talking about installing windows?

stefan
    yes, by using the same setup process it would be possible to do this on an external as well, similiar to a rebootable HD backup on a partitioned external.

there has been some chatter about this on one of the mac forums i surf too. though i havent tried to put windows on my machine... i have more pride than that

yes, by using the same setup process it would be possible to do this on an external as well, similiar to a rebootable HD backup on a partitioned external.

there has been some chatter about this on one of the mac forums i surf too. though i havent tried to put windows on my machine... i have more pride than that
    Oh i see, you mean NOW with the new intel chips. i was somehow thinking you meant before sorry. yeah, that could be interesting too.

So i am assuming you have a new macbook or imac? if so what do you think of it so far?

stefan

i wonder how susceptible this would make MAC's to PC virus'?

i wonder how susceptible this would make MAC's to PC virus'?
    Since viruses typically exploit weaknesses that are specific to an operating system, or weaknesses of a program that is built for a specific OS, a Mac running Windows would be no different than a PC as far as virus suscpetibility goes.

On a related note, it appears Apple has come to terms with the fact that Windows can be run on their new hardware, and rumor has it that they plan on releasing a dual-boot computer with both Mac OS and Windows when the new version of Windows is released in a few months or year. Sorry I'm too lazy to research where this claim comes from, I was just chatting with my roommate last night whos been researching them and plans to buy a new PowerMac and put Windows on it.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...110220,00.html

Update: Apple unveils software that lets Macs run Windows
    Apple released software today allowing users to boot Windows on the
    latest Macs