Thread: First Descent

First Descent

Alright, I'm not sure if we are the first to do this canyon but I have not been able to find anything on it. No guidebooks, no web beta...nothing. So, I'm throwing this out to Shane, Tom, Ram or anyone else that may have done this route or know of someone who has. If no one bites, we're claiming it and naming it!

My friend Chuck and I set out to do Constrychnine and its neighbors last weekend. There were some reports of less than unpleasant weather for Friday in Hanksville but to our good fortune, it all cleared off. 60 degree temps made it almost perfect.

We began exploring from above and worked our way east to the lip of Poison Spring canyon. Later we learned that we were practically across the street from the Butler Forks. We decided not to return to do Constrychnine as a result of the time we had burned and instead chose to do one that was right in front of us. Constrychnine boasts the longest rappel in the North Wash area...about 190 feet. The canyon we were about to go down beat it! It began with a rap that was about 260 feet long which followed a 2 foot wide slot...all the way down to the bottom!

We anchored from the only cedar tree standing in the bowl at the top. We spent awhile looking around for any signs of previous descent and found none. No slings, bolts or anything for that matter. In fact, if anyone had descended this canyon before, they've gone back and removed all the slings or they did it with hooks, which I personally think is a little crazy, especially if one was used on the first rap.

Chuck descended first and we communicated via radios. He called me from a chokestone wedged about half way down the slot which was large enough for one person to stand on. He estimated that there was another 120 feet or so to go below that. When he reached bottom, he told me that he was holding the last two feet of our 300 foot rope in his hand!

I began tying everything we had together so we would have enough to somehow make the pull. Between our 60M and all of the webbing, we thought that would do it. I began my descent and reached the chokestone. Chuck looked like an ant! We quickly found out that what I had tied together wasn't enough. I happened to have one more length of rope that was roughly another 60 feet. Together with that and the 15 feet of our Prussik ropes, we were still ten feet short. Once I reached bottom, we stemmed back up to the pull line and tied one of the packs to the end of it. Chuck and I then took turns hanging from the pack to get the rope moving. After what seemed like hours, the rope finally began to give. The relief was short lived as we realized the next problem would be getting the rope to miss the chokestone and not drape itself around it. Well, it draped itself around it and wedged in tight. Incessant pulling and grunting yielded no results. By now it was almost 3PM and we knew we had to get moving and reach bottom so we could navigate out. The decision was made to cut the rope (almost half of it would be left behind)...OUCH!...and return to retrieve it later.

The canyon had a total of 4 rappels. The last one was a nice 70 foot free hang. There was a final deep section of narrows that could be bypassed if desired. Due to time and the lack of webbing (I was down to my last rapid link), we opted for the bypass as it looked like some rappelling would be necessary to navigate the narrows section. Once we hit bottom, it was a mad dash to get out before the sun was gone. The plan was to exit via the Arscenic climb out. That didn
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The canyon doesn't look like anything I have done. congratulations on the find.

Lots of good stuff still out there for those who want to get off the beaten path and do some exploring.

Niiiice! Sounds like another "night extraction" eh?

So what's the total length of this canyon in approximate mileage? Or maybe compared to others like Cable or Quandary, etc? Longer? Shorter?

So now that you've notched first descent, what are ya gonna name it?

Do any other canyons in the area?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

So is this one in the butler system or the Poison spring system? Wasn't sure based on the description. Sounds like a nice find. Is it far from a road? With such a long and problematic first rappel, it sounds like the best option may be to leave a 300 foot rope anchored, and then return and retrieve it later when the canyon is completed. (if the drop-in rappel isn't too far from a road or you can pass it on the return to your car). This way, no webbing would have to be left at the first rappel... leaving it nice and clean, just like you found it, for someone else to do a first descent on ;)

As another option, would it be possible split the first 260 foot rap into two? You indicate only one person can fit on the chock stone halfway, but could it be slung for a rappel? Everyone would rappel single line the full length of the rappel. The last man down, before starting, pulls rope up so its doubled down to the chockstone. He rappels to the chockstone, slings it and anchors in, and then pulls the rope. He rethreads the rope through his new anchor and rappels the rest of the way down, thus completing it with 1 300' rope. Would that be an option?

Ben

So what's the total length of this canyon in approximate mileage? Or maybe compared to others like Cable or Quandary, etc? Longer? Shorter?
    The technical section wasn't more than a half mile. The exit hike took forever. If we hadn't lost our light, we would've gone up the drainage to Arsenic and out that way but since neither of us had ever done that route, we didn't feel like attempting it in the dark. Next time, without setting up a car shuttle, that seems like the most logical way out. Up until the Arsenic drainage you are surrounded by big wall buttes. It's not as long as Cable but right now we're estimating 8 to 10 hours with the exit hike.

Is it far from a road?
    There is a 4WD road that splits the Butler system and the Poison Spring system. This canyon was in the Poison Spring system. We discovered later that it would be possible to drive up to the head of the canyon and leave a car there. The access road is different from the one that takes you to Constrychnine. So, yes...there is a road close by.

would it be possible split the first 260 foot rap into two?
    Once we got down we discussed both of your options. We liked the idea of leaving a 300' rope and retrieving it on the way out. That way the sling could be removed. Splitting the rap into two would also be possible. The chockstone isn't going anywhere...it was solid. You would of course want to set up the anchor before pulling the rope like you said and then rap from the chockstone.

We weren't sure how much rope we would need farther down so attempting to pull everything seemed to be the best option at the time. That chockstone will always be a problem however and when we do it again, I'll be leaving the rope.

what are ya gonna name it?
    Not sure yet but I've been kind of leaning towards..."Not Constrychnine"

Kyrell,

Nice photos. thanks.

BTW, how much "slot" is there in this canyon? just curious.

stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    NOOOOO! Anything but another Not canyon...

Oh and it was good to see Chuck in some pictures; glad he's still doing canyons; that guy is a riot!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgremlin
    what are ya gonna name it?

I love it!!

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    BTW, how much "slot" is there in this canyon? just curious.

stefan
    The biggest "slot" part of the canyon was the 260' rappel...between 2 and 3 feet wide for all of it. At the end there was a cool narrows section that looked deep and tight and may have even had some water in it. As time was against us, we bypassed that section. Have to catch it next time around.

Nice job Kyrell

I have never been in that canyon. Looks like the upper part is a fault, above the Navajo layer. You described the Navajo layer (Tight narrows) as being down low). That needs a peak. I like your idea of leaving, then retrieving the rope. Benny's idea is very sound too, for canyons where you have to take the rope with you. Last man splitting the rap into 2. Do that often. Now you have to find out if there is a way back up to the rim and top, either to the east or west, to make the car shuttle more reasonable. Back up the Arscene/Slide way seems reasonable. if a tad long. Great if it could be shortened up.. Ahhhh, the smell of adventure and the unknown. Kudos to the boys.

Ram

The biggest "slot" part of the canyon was the 260' rappel...between 2 and 3 feet wide for all of it.

That sounds fun even for just this part.

stefan

wow
    that sound quiete an adventure!!!!
    i will be so scared if i see that rope was short
    let me know if next time there is some thing less adventourous going on

Hesse..... sweetheart.... where you been hiding? We missed you around here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Hesse..... sweetheart.... where you been hiding? We missed you around here.....
    Yeah, how have you been?