Thread: Diamond Fork 3/3

Diamond Fork 3/3

I had a great BP trip with my dad this week end. We left SLC at about 3:30 p.m. on Friday.

We hit up a few geocaches up Spanish Fork Canyon before we got to the TH. The best part of caching was in an area that we didn't even find the cache. It had been muggled :( But it was in away cool area. There were tons of mountain lion tracks all over. You can read about the adventure here:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...e-8bfef848bce9

We got to the trailhead at bout 6:30 and it was getting dark. There was snow all over but the air temp felt pretty warm. We didn't even get out our jackets of head lamps and were fine on the way up. The mmon was pretty bright on the white snow to light things up. I was curious about how much exercise we would get on the hike so I brought along my heart rate monitor. I burned 880 calories on the 1 hour and 25 minute hike up.

We were thinking it would be acold snowy camp because all along the trail was about 3 feet of snow. I have not seen that much snow in the area for years. when we got to the springs we were surprised to see that there was not much snow in the area...just a few inches on the north facing slopes in the canyon. we ended up setting up camp about 25 feet from the lower spring. It was also cool that there was no people around.

for dinner we had Wendy's chilli stuufed into Pita pockets. It was way tasty as food usually is when you are out packing.

After dinner and setting up camp we hit the springs. It was an awsome night to be up there. At this time there were no clouds and just a starry sky with bright sliver of a moon. The temps of the springs were in the low 90's. If you got too how you would just sit in away that your upper body was out of the water for afew minutes intil you cooled off. We felt the great satisfaction you get backpacking when you have a full stomach and camp has been all set up.

We were in there for about two hours and were feeling pretty tired. I started melting some snow for the next day with my stove. ( I was not feeling like pumping any of the sulpher laden water to drink)

We were just getting ready to hop into bed at about 10 when some BYU students cam up the trail. There was 3 girls and 2 guys. Because we were camped so close to them my dad and I decided to stay up until there were gone. I built a fire and we cooked up some marshmellows until they left 2 hours later.(Good thing we had been out of the hotsprings before the BYU kids got there. The girls would have seen something they hadn't before. ..My dad and I didnt bother with swimsuits...one less thing to have to dry out overnight lol)

We slept pretty well that night. Although it was a clear sky when we went to bed, a storm blew in and dusted the gound with a little snow. I woke up at about 5:30 and had to take a leak. It was about 25 out and I was feeling abit cold. I decided to just go get in the hotsprings again. My dad joined me a bit later and we waited until it was light to take down camp. Breakfast was a big slug of gel and some water( we had some oatmeal but were just ready to get out of there) and we headed back down to the car.

I was very happy to have my trekking poles with me. It was pretty icey and I would have taken some spills without them. Snowshoes or skis would not have worked well on the ice either. The hike out took just over an hour and this time 640 calories burned.

On the drive out we saw a small group of elk high on a hill. it seemed like a fitting ending for a fun trip.

Here is alink to a geoache we have near the springs as well:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...d-a2c97219961a
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Let's Roll

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome trip report. I especially liked the picture of the elk. I've always wanted to try that trail during the winter. I was going to try it in December 2004 (trying to get FTF on GCKNK6), but the road was too snowy for me to get my car close enough to the trailhead.

As for the "Sunday Drive" cache, I call B.S. on mendy_biker's "found" log. I know for a fact that the cache wasn't there a couple of months before he supposedly found it, and recently he claimed a find on one of my caches, but his name is not in the logbook (and it's a log-only micro).

I noticed you changed your caching name too. Sounds like you really like Glocks now.

The Fifth Water trailhead was washed out this spring. I assume its in good condition now?

Great TR Ben!

Years back a group of friends and I backpacked to the springs the week of Christmas. The trail had been packed down, no snowshoes required. We got a late start and hiked most of it in the dark. There is a great camping spot about 5min downstream from the lowest spring, I had used it before when the wife and I had backpacked up there the previous fall. I was right on snow. It was very cold that night around 10 degrees or colder. After setting up camp and eating dinner I got ready to take a dip and none of my friends wanted to get out of there tents and hike up there. So I left them there to freeze and got into the springs. I was great to star-gaze in the middle of the winter only wearing a bathing suit. After about ten minutes one of my friends came up the trail and jumped in. After about three hours we went to bed all warmed up and I slept like a baby.

A great place to visit!

James

Cool TR! Hot springs can sometimes have the reputation of being dirty. I've got a few stories of my own...

How's the "sanitation" at these?

The 5th water Th is in ok shape. You can't drive over the old culvert..it has been DESTROYED. There are a few makeshift bridges going over the stream that are not too harrowing.

I have not done any scientific tests on the sanitation of the water, but it seems ok. I have drank it after filtering it w/ my Hiker water filter and didn't get the runs or anything. The water is contiually running through so it seems pretty clean. I always like to wash off in the water fall after I am done soaking...I get al itchy if I don't

Udink you are right about that bikermindy.Someone should expose her.
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I call B.S. on mendy_biker's "found" log. I know for a fact that the cache wasn't there a couple of months before he supposedly found it, and recently he claimed a find on one of my caches, but his name is not in the logbook (and it's a log-only micro).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigben
    Udink you are right about that bikermindy
    Uh oh, looks like we've got some cache controversy

Does this happen often? Are people tempted to "cheat", and just say they've been somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigben
    Udink you are right about that bikermindy. Someone should expose her.
    I mentioned it on the UTAG forum (without naming names) and I was surprised by how many people said that they would let it slide if somebody had falsely logged their cache. The problem I have with it is that it can cause somebody to go looking for a cache that's not there (such as was the case with the "Sunday Drive" cache).

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Uh oh, looks like we've got some cache controversy

Does this happen often? Are people tempted to "cheat", and just say they've been somewhere?
    I think I've only seen it once, and I've heard about a few similar cases from other cachers. It doesn't sound like it happens very often.

Cheating at geocaching

Don't let her be the banker if you play monopoly.