Thread: Getting started again....

DickHead

Getting started again....

I'm hoping to start packing this year. I have a stove, a pack (I'd prefer to buy a better one, though), and plan on getting a waterproof sleeping bag.
    Its been years since I've backpacked. Consider me as a beginner. What do I need for minimialist 'packing. Max, 2 night trips, probably no more than 20miles or so round trip.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, by the time you get everyone's opinions, you'll have a 100 lb pack, but I'll get ya started with some basics: (in no particular order)

1. sleeping bag/pad. (I use clothes for a pillow - wrap them up in my softest fleece or whatever)
    2. one pot and one spoon.
    3. stove and fuel.
    4. water filter.
    5. camera.
    6. map.
    7. first aid kit and emergency kit. Including: lighter and waterproof matches, whistle, knife, food (like a granola bar or two), duct tape.
    8. tent is optional. rainfly is optional.
    9. clean socks, underwear optional. Other than that wear the same clothes.
    10. something clean and dry to sleep in - you'll stay warmer and be more comfortable.
    11. food.
    12. camp sandals - your feet will thank you.
    13. headlamp.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I have been really getting into backpacking especially the ul(ultralight) stuff. I have a report to post later about a great trip I had this week end. I'm telling you UL is the way to go.

Start off by getting your complete basics you would need. That is not including any luxuries. Get them all together and pack it up and see what weight you get. Here is my list of necessities:

Tent
    Footprint
    Sleeping Bag
    Sleeping Pad
    Backpack
    Rain cover/Garbage Bag
    Cook Pot
    Utensils
    Stove & Fuel
    Lighter and matches (2 sources of fire)
    Water Container w/ Water ( go with a Bladder if you can..naglenes are heavy)
    Bear bag(can be stuff sack etc)
    Food(Go with the Freezer Bag Method..I will explain it in another post...)
    Compass
    Map
    Headlamp(loose the flashlight it's way to heavy)
    1st Aid Kit(Include sunscreen, lip balm,)
    Emergency whistle
    Knife(I go with a leatherman)
    TP
    Clothing: This can get really heavy and depends a lot on when and where you are going. this week end for snow conditions I went with hiking boot and socks,jeans, Underarmor shirt, Fleece, gators, and a beanie. I wore all of this. In addition I brought long underwear, extra socks, lightweight fleece pants, extra undies, fleece mittens, balaclava, and alight wind/rain jacket.

After you get the basics down take it to the Post Office and weigh it all. This is you base weight. Do all you can to get it down by getting good gear. This is where price comes in...Look at every piece of gear you have and ask how you can get the weight down. Look especially at the big 3..Pack, Tent, and Sleeping bag. I just got a sweet tent that is 4 pounds, sleeping bag is just under 2 pounds. I want a better pack..mine is about 6 pounds.

Anyway with all my gear this week end I was at 28 pounds which is pretty good for me. I hope to get lower but I a happy with that. I can tell you it was SO much more enjoyable to be able to not feel like I was going to die the whole hike in!
    Let's Roll

Yea a lot of stuff depends on where you are going. If you are going to a high mountain lake then you'll want thermal undies, fleece, rain gear, tent etc... If you are doing an overnighter in Southern Utah and the forecast says no rain then leave the tent home and take a hammock or just sleep on the ground. I always bring a pad weather I am bringing a tent or not. A good way to keep you pack weight down is to get the total weight of your backpack, sleeping bag, and tent under 10 lbs. A nice down bag is usually between 2 and 3.5 lbs. If you want to get into lightening your pack and tent, here are a couple companies I would recommend. Here are some links:

http://www.tarptent.com/
    I have one of these, very light and not much problem with condensation.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/links.htm
    Check out his backpacks, very light yet sturdy and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Well, by the time you get everyone's opinions, you'll have a 100 lb pack, but I'll get ya started with some basics: (in no particular order)
    Treehugger is right, you can easily end up with every gizmo under the sun. Her list is right on too

I'll make a few comments on each though...

1. sleeping bag/pad. - Get one for the temps you'll be in, not antarctica, it'll be lighter, cheaper, and more comfortable.
    2. one pot and one spoon. - I add a cup to this as I like to drink my coffee with my breakfast but keep the dishes/utensils to a minimum as they are heavy.
    3. stove and fuel. - Learn how to use and *repair* the one you get.
    4. water filter. - keep it simple and field-servicable
    5. camera. - Digital is great and lighter
    6. map. - and compass, and know how to use them...
    7. first aid kit and emergency kit. Including: lighter and waterproof matches, whistle, knife, food (like a granola bar or two), duct tape. - Some tinder is great in the spring in case you can't find anything dry.
    8. tent is optional. rainfly is optional. - Your call but at least a bivy sack is a good idea to reduce wear on the bag/pad. and keep the bugs off.
    9. clean socks, underwear optional. Other than that wear the same clothes. - An extra layer and possibly a shell layer if you're going in the rainy season.
    10. something clean and dry to sleep in - you'll stay warmer and be more comfortable.
    11. food. - Keep it simple but high-energy
    12. camp sandals - your feet will thank you. - What she said.
    13. headlamp. - Far better than a flashlight. I'm a big fan of the waterproof LED types as I don't have to carry as many batteries.

Some other items I carry:
    14. Sunscreen
    15. A monocular - lighter than even the mini binoculars and just as effective for most things.
    16. Potty trowel - for digging catholes, doubles for pounding tent stakes with handle.
    17. Your common sense

That should do it for most things, obviously you'll want any stuff for planned activities but for the basis out-and-back most of it should be covered above.

Have fun.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Great add ons debesse, thanks! I also always carry sunscreen and a potty trowel (plastic, it's lighter)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost