Thread: recent trip to peru

recent trip to peru

hey gang,

the wife and i just got back from a 9 day trip to peru.
    i would highly recommend a peruvian trip to anyone that is up for a little traveling adventure. the people are great, spanglish is spoken everywhere, and the exchange rate is almost 4x1.... .

we stayed most of the trip in Cusco (about 12K elevation) and sipped on lots of cocoa tea (for the altitude of course). stayed 2 days in aqua calientes which is the small city at the base of machu picchu. trekked around machu picchu for a day. ate some of the local cuisine, guinea pig and llama...yum! and drank a ton of pisco sours (peruvian margherittas).

here are a few photos of the trip...enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What do they call guinea pig in Peru? When I was in Ecuador, that dish was called "Qui."

What does it taste like to you? To me, guinea pig tasted a little like a cross between turkey and trout. Kinda weird...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

That's way cool. My son is in Peru on an LDS mission. He's in the Trujillo area---so I'm always interested in anything Peru!! Machu Pichu is a place I'd like to visit some day. What's the elevation there?

IIRC, they call it "cuy" or at least that's how it was written on the menu's.
    taste little buggers, ours was baked. the skin was a little chewy but the meat was not as gamie as one would expect. you had to get head passed the fury parts, i jokingly made a comment about there being fur on it's hands and feet, and low and behold....there was.

my wife was a tropper, she dove right in and never even hesitated!
    god i love that girl.....

MP is actually lower in elevation than cusco, IIRC it's about 8500.

Sweet pictures. I love seeing shots of Machu Picchu. Thanks man.

Wow! Thanks for the pics. That place looks awsome.

I was there a while ago..
    I did the whole hiking trek. They wont let you hike the inca trail alone so you had to hire a guide. This was an experience. It was like reality tv and a hike all in one.

Was a good time could have done the trail in aobut 2 days rather the 4.5 it took us with the group.

Definatley worth the time and the trip. We got to see the place right as the sun came over the hill. Was pretty cool.

Also we hiked up the mountian behind the it. Very cool to see a different prespective.

Also.. if you go.. dont plan on spending time in lima.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Any problems with the local rebels? Seems like those things are hit and miss, so you just have to go and hope for the best.

Great photos!

Personally we did not have any problems. We went in april time period and the weather was just right for the hike.

The only thing you had to watch out for was the pit pocketers and the beggers.

There are kids that have no shoes on and look horrible and pose to beg and act like thy have phyical problems and then an hour later they are running with the best of them.

One I caught doing this and he flipped the bird at me..

Quote Originally Posted by mattl
    There are kids that have no shoes on and look horrible and pose to beg and act like thy have phyical problems and then an hour later they are running with the best of them.

One I caught doing this and he flipped the bird at me..
    Ha! That's hilarious! I love those stories. It's good to take a before and after picture of them.