Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: La Sportiva - Exum River

I'm not a big La Sportiva fan... but for those who are.....

Mountain Gear has their old style La Sportiva Exum River's on sale for $65. Nearly 40% off retail. Only a few sizes but they are the popular sizes.

Click here for Shoes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

La Sportiva has discontinued the Exum River.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    La Sportiva has discontinued the Exum River.
    You left out that it's being replace by another exum shoe.

I didn't know there was a replacement planned.... What shoe is replacing it?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    They have other approach shoes, but the Canyon-specific Exum River 2 is on the schedule for Spring 2011.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    They have other approach shoes, but the Canyon-specific Exum River 2 is on the schedule for Spring 2011.

Tom
    Kip has the new model. Looks greatly improved from what I saw. He had 'em at FreezeFest. He seemed to think they were pretty good. Still not as sticky as the canyoneers, from what I gathered.

They look much better too...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    He had 'em at FreezeFest. He seemed to think they were pretty good. Still not as sticky as the canyoneers, from what I gathered.
    The original Exum River's I tested when they first came out lost a lot of grip when it was really cold (below 20). They lost way more grip in the cold than the Five-Tens did. So if it was cold at FreezeFest it might be a good idea to see how they stick when things warm up....

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    He had 'em at FreezeFest. He seemed to think they were pretty good. Still not as sticky as the canyoneers, from what I gathered.
    The original Exum River's I tested when they first came out lost a lot of grip when it was really cold (below 20). They lost way more grip in the cold than the Five-Tens did. So if it was cold at FreezeFest it might be a good idea to see how they stick when things warm up....

conversely, in the heat, canyoneers get way stickier than exum rivers, in my experience. chances are, these new ones still aren't as grippy, but probably adequate for most anything besides the off-the-deck stuff.

but they looked so much more comfortable, and Kip seemed to like the fit. i hate the way the canyoneers wear. the sportivas look like a decent hiking shoe, but rubber uppers instead of synthetic material.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    I haven't used the 5.10s, but I agree they look bulky and ugly.

I am, however, a fan of the Exum Rivers. Happened to pick up a pair when I first started canyoneering. Good grip, nice looking, and comfortable (I typically wear mine barefoot). After over two years of use the mesh is developing holes which lets rock and sand come in- very annoying, but still functional. Otherwise only normal wear on the sole (although I've only recently started doing tighter canyons).

I'd really like a new pair but only found out recently that they were discontinued and I don't see anything available on the internet. I'm curious about the Exum River 2 mentioned, but I can't find anything on that either. Any update or links?

talked a little bit in this thread with the exum pro.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-approach-shoe

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom

Was this new shoe released? Googled it but couldn't find anything.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by OzGirl View Post
    Was this new shoe released? Googled it but couldn't find anything.

Julie
    no, haven't seen it. 2012 will probably be a bunch of new lines for la sportiva shoes. someone did point me to what they believed was the a close replacement for the exum pro, didn't like the look of it.
    looks like 5.10 with 4 to 5 pairs of socks to fill out the shoe for me since i have such narrow feet.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    no, haven't seen it. 2012 will probably be a bunch of new lines for la sportiva shoes. someone did point me to what they believed was the a close replacement for the exum pro, didn't like the look of it.
    looks like 5.10 with 4 to 5 pairs of socks to fill out the shoe for me since i have such narrow feet.

I wore my new 5.10 canyoneers for the first time last week canyoneering and was quite impressed with them, although I still prefer the River Exums. A few weeks ago I wore the 5.10 Savante on an overnight (mostly dry) canyon trip that involved a lot of bushwalking and some slippery creek walking, and was very happy with them in those conditions.