Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: La Sportiva - Exum River

La Sportiva - Exum River

Looks like the new La Sportiva - Exum River canyoneering shoe is out. Cost is $100. I would like to hear a report from the first person that buys a pair.

[color=darkblue][i]Canyoneering is wet, muddy business, but the Exum River will put you on stable ground. These custom rigs are chock full of features to anchor your foot to slick rocks and shifting sands even in moving water.

Removable TPU strap keeps the Exum River securely latched to your foot in the strongest of currents.

FriXion
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think they could've improved on this design by making the top of the shoe more sturdy and including a flap that wraps around the ankle to prevent most rocks and pebbles from entering the shoe (like the 5.10 Canyoneers).

Those look like just a regular shoe. For the same price as the Canyoneers, I would have expected something more.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I think they could've improved on this design by making the top of the shoe more sturdy and including a flap that wraps around the ankle to prevent most rocks and pebbles from entering the shoe (like the 5.10 Canyoneers).

Those look like just a regular shoe. For the same price as the Canyoneers, I would have expected something more.
    I know some people prefer a low top shoe. For example, Josh won't be caught dead in high tops and has been waiting for a good low top canyoneering shoe to come out that suits his fancy. This may be the one.

They likely didn't want to be accused of just copycating five-ten so tried to come up with something different. People who want a "Canyoneer" will still buy the canyoneer (although they might have to wait a year or so).

Also states that the shoe is based on the Exum Ridge, which is an extremely popular, tried and tested, and successful shoe.

The Five-Ten Canyoneer is one of the ugliest shoes on the planet..... I say good job in not coping that look.

I sure do hear a lot of complaining about the look of the Canyoneers. I never thought guys really cared about style and fashion while out in the middle of a remote slot canyon....

...guess I was wrong.

To us straight guys, function and performance rule over looks.

I have used the exum ridges quite a bit for backpacking and canyoneering and have really liked them, save the fact that tight slots/stemming naturally destroys the shoe more quickly than one would wish. So, looking forward to getting a pair of the rivers, since they have greatly improved the locations where the shoe naturally shreads in slots.

i have found that almost no rocks/pebbles get into the exum ridge, at least with my foot. while sand does get in, it always amazes me how comfortable the shoe still is with sand in it.

aside from the shredding potential of the exum ridge, i was very happy with its performance, especially since, when the shoe is wet, it feels and performs very similarly to when it's dry. Hope this shoe performs the same.

though, i just never understand the obsession with bright colors on shoes...what's up with the neon orange? and the yellow on the 5-10s?

stefan

Lately I have been putting armor (shoe goo) on the threads and seams of my canyoneering shoes before I ever wear them. I have found this greatly increases the life of the shoe in skinny slots.

For those of you who poo-poo the 5.10 Canyoneer because it "looks bad," I did a little research online and found that Gucci has released it's own line of canyoneering shoes. So for all you fashion snobs who just absolutely MUST be in the leading edge of style and fashion when you step into the slots, check these bad boys out:

With a low-cut top, and a subtle earth-tone, you can't beat it!!

A steal at just under $200 bucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    For those of you who poo-poo the 5.10 Canyoneer because it "looks bad," I did a little research online and found that Gucci has released it's own line of canyoneering shoes.

Sweeet! Thanks rockgremlin, forget the river,

that's my new shoe!!!!

stefan

Mountainworks (Provo) just got these in stock. Josh bought a pair and he's pretty stoked-- says they appear to be very heavy duty and are also very light. He'll have the opportunity to put them to the test for 6 days next week and I'll have him post some sort of review.

Yeah, I have a friend who bought a pair of Exum Rivers last week. We were supposed to go test them out this week but the weather around here sucks.... its snowing at my house.... April Fools.... NOT.

Anyhow, I put a pair on and walked around the house. They seemed to stick well traveling across the kitchen tile and when I stepped in a big dog turd

They Exum Rivers upon first inspection had some things I really liked and disliked. The stitching across the toe rand and around the heel was reccessed so it would stand up to some abuse in a mae west slot. The little girlly strap looks like it might last an entire 10 minutes in a mae west. I think the low cut is going to suck in deep sand and mud but ya never know until you try them for real.

Damn Shane sounds like a BLM threat needs to be made at your house -- dog turds in the kitchen. OSHA will making a surprise visit soon! LOL

First action report from the field on the new La Sportiva - Exum River canyoneering shoe......

The shoe is not quite as sticky as the Five-Ten Canyoneer, but the shoe is much more comfortable. Keep in mind these are first impressions from one of my partners and I'll update as more info becomes available. The sticky issue might disappear as my trusty Nike Reviro's didn't seem to stick as well as normal last weekend. It might have been the type of rock we were climbing on.

On my pair, the yellow plastic piece holding the strap has already broken.

I am really not sure what they were thinking using hard plastic....please.

but i didn't expect to really use it anyhow.

as far as the fit, mine feel almost identical to my exum ridges which were the same size.

Latest impressions.... the shoe is not as sticky as the Five-Ten Canyoneers, but it is much more comfortable. The low cut fills with sand and debris easy.

And as suspected... that cute little strapy thingy is a piece of shit that will be gone the first time the shoe has to do some real work.

I know a dozen folks who have switched from Five-Ten to Exum Rivers. All are happy with the switch to date and said the trade for sticky to comfort was worth it.

I'm still using my old Nike Air Rivero's and would not trade them for Five-Ten or Exum Rivers. To bad they stopped making the Nikes.

Anyone else want to offer up an opinion or observation?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Latest impressions.... the shoe is not as sticky as the Five-Ten Canyoneers, but it is much more comfortable. The low cut fills with sand and debris easy.

And as suspected... that cute little strapy thingy is a piece of shit that will be gone the first time the shoe has to do some real work.

I know a dozen folks who have switched from Five-Ten to Exum Rivers. All are happy with the switch to date and said the trade for sticky to comfort was worth it.

I'm still using my old Nike Air Rivero's and would not trade them for Five-Ten or Exum Rivers. To bad they stopped making the Nikes.

My Nike Rioveros aren't very comfortable or as sticky as they used to be. They have seen a lot of use. I tried using my Vasque Catalysts (pre-goretex) with Stealth Rubber as an alternative canyoneering shoe and the huge comfort difference made me not want to wear the Nikes again.

Can't decide whether I'll go with the 5.10s or Exum Rivers, never tried either... walking comfort would probably tip me in the Exum River direction. I hate long hikes in uncomfortable shoes.

Josh has the Exum Rivers and finds them sufficiently sticky, way comfortable, and very light but notices that they fill with sand easily and quickly. Straps are wore out quickly(as expected). Other parts of the shoe are wearing out too, but no faster than any shoe would given the beating they take in the narrow canyons.

Ben

i have never tried the canyoneers. but i have now used the exum rivers.

the exum river is much burlier than the exum ridge. instead of using a synthetic leather external frame, "Molded rubber reinforcements protect the front uppers from the gnarliest textures known to manwhich is extremely durable." ...this is most definitely the case. i have used them in tight narrows with lots of stemming and i found the rubber frame has held up extremely well, but the some of mesh has started to tear and more importanly the sticky rubber is wearing very quickly!! as far as where the mesh is tearing, it's not as troublesome of a spot as in the exum ridge which became dysfunctional from tight slots. i don't have a problem with ankle support, so these are just fine for me YMMV. the exum rivers seem to retain a slight bit more water than the exum ridges, as i felt my foot a little soggier after their use. and, by a small amount i would say that the exum ridge is slightly more comfortable, likely due to the effect of the rubber exo-frame.

overall, while expensive, i'd consider it very functional and a great improvement over the exum ridge for canyoneering.

as far as sand goes, my guess is that it depends on a person's foot and sock. some may allow more room for sand to get in and sit. i think my foot really fills out the shoe and causes less sand to get in. i definitely get some though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I have never used the Five Ten Canyoneer, but used to use the Five Ten Mountain Master exclusively (until they quit making them), as well as a couple of pairs of Vasque Pingora's which use the same stealth soles as the canyoneers.

My experience has been the soles wear down to bald tread quickly. During prime season, I may get 3-5 months out of a pair before the tread is completely gone. The uppers are usually hammered to near death about the same time. At $80-$100 a pair, this is frustrating.

Lately I have been using either old running shoes for dry canyons, or light hikers for wet canyon in Zion and saving the sticky rubber shoes for special occasions... I picked up a pair of Addidas light hikers at Sports Authority on clearance for $35 that are holding up as well as the $80 pairs. Not super sticky, but I find they work for me. I am hoping the less sticky rubber is firmer and will last longer.

YMMV

Bought a pair of Exum Rivers over the weekend. They gripped like a pit bull on a bone to everything but the slickest rock. They let in gravel a bit easier than the Reebok trail runners I've been using, which was frustrating, but overall I loved them. It was nice to be so confident on my feet.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.