Thread: Packs Ospery or Vortex

Packs Ospery or Vortex

I hear good things about the Osprey packs. I just bought a Vortex and love it. Are the Osprey's that much better than the Vortex?
    Peter

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Never used a Vortex but I love the Osprey. The Osprey's are the only pack I have found that will withstand the abuse of the really skinny slots. The secret is the padding in the sides. You need to find the ones that open like a burrito with the padded sides. Their best pack was the old Simplex. I'm using a Scarab now and its almost as good. My Simplex lasted three years of extremely hard use. My Scarab is starting its second year of abuse.

The padded, burrito style Osprey packs are awesome

YMMV

ok Shane, link me to a "burrito padded osprey bag" the gear whore in me is intriqued by this description, but the mexican in me is just confused....LOL

I'm not an expert on Osprey packs, that is why I listed the two models I have used and had good luck with. I know they also make "tradional" type packs. I believe both models I listed are obsolete and/or have been renamed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ahhhh, i'm getting the burrito imagery now
    nice description...lol

Yeah baby..... those sides that fold over are filled with about 1/8" of dense foam. It stops holes from developing in the sides where the pack scrapes against sandstone. Both packs in the pictures are stuffed to max so the sides are not folding over as much as when the pack is not over stuffed.

They do the burrito thing with the switch as well. It's aimmed at the winter snowboard crowd and that setup hold a board great.

I haven't used any of their "burrito" models but I do have an Atmos 50 that just rock as a technical daypack. I use it for winter snowshoeing and summer climbing but I don't know if it would hold up to the abuse of the canyons as it is designed for lightness (3lbs for a 50L pack).
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats