Thread: backpacking w/ kids

backpacking w/ kids

How old is a good ago to start kids backpacking? is there a weight to ago ratio? also where is a good place to take a 5 year old thats not to difficult?
    Red Ram
    36' hauler
    KTM Pro SR SX 50cc
    Kawi KX65
    Yam 426F

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I started my son at 7 and could have started him earlier. He was snowshoeing at 5 and loving it.

I restrict him to about 25% of his body weight but since he's growing that keeps getting to be a larger absolute number, currently about 22lbs. That's enough for him to carry his own gear and water if I handle the tent and kitchen. He's 11 now and easily handles 7-8 miles a day in a pack over varied terrain. The other upside is that he's had 5+ years experience as a backpacker/hiker and will turn 12 during the season this year. He's great with the leave no trace stuff and doing his share setting up camp and even scouting backcountry campsites.

Yesterday we did a mild 5 mile snowshoe in Rocky Mountain NP and he handled it fine, even managing his layering correcly as the temps went up and down during the hike.

The one area he needs work with is the prep. He'd rather play PS2 then make sure he has everything in his pack so I have to double check to make sure. I think I'll address this by making him checklists so he can certify for himself that he has everything and then make him rough it a time or two when he "forgets" something.

By and large kids make great backcountry hiking buddies, they have no built-up inhibitions about expressing their delight in seeing a great view or a neat wild animal, even a chipmunk or marmot is enough to get them excited.

See the attached pic, this was about 6 weeks after his 11th birthday this past Aug on Niwot Ridge, about 11,000'. We had a ball.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

My kids were backpacking since they were about 4 years old and love it. The trick is to make the hike short and easy. Some of my favorite places to backpack with kids are Wall Lake and Long Lake in the Uintas. Both lakes are only about 1 mile from the trailhead. My kids usually carry there own sleeping bag and maybe a jacket. Dad carries everything else. I have also noticed that a hiking staff keeps kids hiking longer. I just went down to the hardware store and picked up a round wooden dowel and then made a handle from tape. Then I let the kids color them. The kids seem to like that. As with all beginners..... leave them wanting more. Don't burn them out trying to accomplish your ambitions. Go super easy because if the kids have a bad first experiance that is all they will ever remember.

There is no minimum age for backpacking. My three year old just did a 22 mile backpack and has been doing it without being carried since he was 2. See our latest trip report below:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-repor...ew-Record.html
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The trick is to make the hike short and easy.
    I don't know about this one, though the short may be a good idea. Many kids (including my son) are bored on a flat easy hike, unless they can stop and scramble up every rock along the way.

Most of the time, it seems easier to keep them entertained if the hike has some pretty good challenges. I have found that it is easier to maintain interest when they are scrambling up some difficult (for them) sections of routes and trails. Of course, safety is #1.

Let the kids challenge themselves just a bit, and let them love it!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Let the kids challenge themselves just a bit, and let them love it!
    You have missinterpret my "easy". Which is why I orginally added the part about "leave them wanting more". Nothing wrong with challenging the kids.....

Bottom line..... if you burn a kid out on his very first trip he will never want to try it again.

You have missinterpret my "easy".
    I guess so. Sorry about that. Short but interesting. Got it.

Thanks everyone, Great pictures I love pics with all the gear on ready to go!

here is my 4 and 5 yr old last summer, we had a great time.

Red Ram
    36' hauler
    KTM Pro SR SX 50cc
    Kawi KX65
    Yam 426F

If you have a GPS, you can stop and get some geocaches along the way to take a break.

I have taken my son on a 5 mile hike, with his mini mule on a five mile hike. He did pretty good up until the last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat222

Hey, I think I've been up there about 15 years ago.

Was this just a trip with the boys? That would be a lot of fun.

This was my boy's 1st trip when he was five. We went in about 3 miles. Last year I got him his own pack, a Kelty Tioga Jr. works well and has a lot of room from growth. He has been asking be all winter when it will be time to go packing again. He is now 8 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    My wife will carry our son and his gear and i take everything else.
    Man, I need to get someone to carry me around in one of those things!

Sweet photos...I toyed with the idea of taking my 3 year old boy to the winds for a week. So where is this exactly?

ok
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You should read "Letters from an Elk Hunt" by Elinore Stewart!

This woman back in 1915 or so, took her 3 babies up to the Wind Rivers for a 6 week long elk hunt. The kids only consumed coffee and cornbread and elk meat. They stayed in a canvas tent slept on the ground and it got so cold and snowy that her ink would freeze as she wrote her letters. Great book, all true! It's amazing how little they got by with back then. Talks about the towns of Cora and Pinedale too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    ... coffee and cornbread and elk meat...
    hmmm, a good, wholesome, balanced diet