Thread: The Eagles have landed!

The Eagles have landed!

Has anyone gone to see the eagles at the Farmington Waterfowl Management Center? We went yesterday - it was really cool! Apparently, if you dont already know, we didnt, the eagles stop here every year from November to March to feed on the carp in the area before going on to Canada to nest. We saw probably 60 total yesterday, it was pretty neat. February has the highest number. A great field trip for the family. Here are a few pics, they're not that close - our good camera with the big telephoto lens is a film camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's a lot of eagles!

We get some nesting here on the Front Range and it's always a treat to see 'em.

My fav eagle sighting was a Golden though. Was hiking at about 12,900' along a cliff and he just hung out over the edge riding the updraft about 20' away. Looked like I could reach out a touch him, just watch the first step (about 2500' down).
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Cool pictures! I use to live in Bear River City. One evening about 5pm, I was standing out in my driveway with a buddy of mine. We watched about 80 or so bald and golden eagles fly over my house, one at a time, for about an hour. I think they were heading to the river. It was an awesome sight to see. I couldn't believe there were so many. Anyways nice pic's.

Cool pictures.... I'm going to go pick up my Hawks and Eagles hunting permit tonight

nice pics

We do a short but wicked steep hike to a point above Willard Canyon every year to watch the eagles head out to Salt Creek and other locales to feed. When it's good you see dozens soar right above you. I think the outing is scheduled for March 18 (possibly the 25th) this year.

I've been known to take a "Spring Fever" sick day and go by myself when the wind and weather are at their most perfect.

That sounds awesome! Where is Willard Canyon? You must be watching as they fly away to Canada - very cool.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Beautiful Scavengers

Of late I see a dozen or so on my way to and from work. But only one or two at a time, never seen that many in a tree before.

We have a lot of deer roadkill between Mt. Pleasant and Ephraim, the eagles do a lot of carcus eating. Ya know they are more scavengers than hunters. Still they are a magnificent, beautiful bird.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    That sounds awesome! Where is Willard Canyon? You must be watching as they fly away to Canada - very cool.
    It's only about 50 miles north of SLC right across the highway from Willard Bay. There's a chute between two gravel pits where you can climb up to a spot known as Locomotive Point. You climb something like 2200 vertical feet in 1.7 miles and every other year there's a foot of snow near the top. If you find a day that has just the right breeze and just the right timing, you catch a bunch of eagles just starting their migration. There is also a spot with some indian petroglyphs about halfway up.

One year I caught a bunch of good pics with a 70-210mm lens and a teleconverter. I then proceeded to leave the film on the front seat of my pickup in the sun and ruined it. One pic had a Golden Eagle and three Kestrals in the same frame. I was heartbroken when I couldn't get that one enlarged, framed, and hung up in my party room.