View Poll Results: Will you watch the Olympics?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely, as much as I can

7 41.18%
  • Here and there

7 41.18%
  • And miss Desperate Housewives, no way!

1 5.88%
  • Not interested at all!

2 11.76%

Thread: 2006 Winter Olympics - Turin, Italy

2006 Winter Olympics - Turin, Italy

Starting ceremony tonight in beautiful Turin, Italy! Any other Olympic fans out there? What is your favorite event(s)?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am excited to watch. I like many events....speed skating, luge, skeleton, etc, etc, etc.

I will be channel surfing with the Jazz game tonight. Boozer is supposed to have a uni on?

I love all the winter sports - maybe not so much the figure skating. Favorites though are biathalon (heck, anything with crosscountry skiing) and hockey.

I loved it when Utah had the Olympics, my family really got into it... I spent over $2000 on tickets because I figured it was a once in a lifetime type thing. We went to all the short track speed skating events, which is my favorite Winter Olymipic event. Also went to ski jumping, bobsled, cross-country, long track speed skating..... At the time I bought my tickets 2 years before the events. Dumping $2000 in 2000 for tickets in 2002 was a hard thing to do but I'm happy I did it.....

The Cross-country and Biathlon events were a major bargin. A ticket was only $20 for the entire day and you would get to see a bunch of different races and qualifing heats. We would just buy a bunch of beer and find a good spot to hang out and watch.... my kids really had fun screaming USA whenever a USA team member came by....

I hope Utah gets the Olympics again in my lifetime....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I wouldn't hold your breath old man. I think the Olympics showed the world how back-assward Utah really is (culturally that is)

James

I am a much bigger summer olympics fan than a winter, but I still love to watch both. I am so into the summer, that I watch it almost everynight I am home.

I think I like the luge and ski jumping the best. Does anybody remember when they used to have speed-skiing a number of years ago in the olympics? I believe that they dropped it. Those guys used to break 140 or 150 on skis. It was pretty nutty when they ate it. Tad bit O' snow/ice burn.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I wouldn't hold your breath old man. I think the Olympics showed the world how back-assward Utah really is (culturally that is)

James
    I doubt it. I don't think anybody really gave a shit about the culture here. Everyplace has it's own cultural idiosyncracies....so what? Besides, Park City is the polar opposite of Salt Lake City culturally - if it wasn't, Sundance wouldn't be as popular as it is.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'm going with Rock on this one. I heard a lot of good things from the critics about Utah. The culture was hardly mentioned in the reviews I heard.

And Park City has almost none of the LDS culture. I actually think the "non" LDS citizens partied even harder, just to prove that it wasn't a boring place.

I was just a kid when it happened and I'm still pissed at Lamar for lobbying against CO hosting them. What an idiot, once you turn them down you've ruined all future chance of ever getting them again.

Love to watch 'em. Some great athletes summer or winter.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    And Park City has almost none of the LDS culture. I actually think the "non" LDS citizens partied even harder, just to prove that it wasn't a boring place.
    Partied Harder for those two weeks? Whatever.... I've been lit up there in every season, the PC crowd parties year round 24/7, even in the summer...

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate
    Partied Harder for those two weeks? Whatever.... I've been lit up there in every season, the PC crowd parties year round 24/7, even in the summer...
    I voted for not missing Desperate Housewives and my new sin, Grey's Anatomy, so screw all you, I hate the winter Olympics, give me hot women on Sunday night (including Mrs. HammerGate) any day.

Just curious as to what everybody has against the culture in Salt Lake???

Reedus

Sorry, that last post probably should have been posted on a new topic discussion.

Reed

I think most of the negativism towards the LDS culture is directed mainly towards the local legislators and others who enforce the local laws. Many non-Mormons who live here are upset about the beer only containing 4% alcohol, gambling and/or sports betting not being permitted here, and that local bars/nightclubs are required to close at 1:00 am. Aside from these things, there's not a whole lot that separates SLC from any other large city.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    the beer only containing 4% alcohol, gambling and/or sports betting not being permitted here, and that local bars/nightclubs are required to close at 1:00 am.
    That pretty much covers it for me

My favorite part of the Salt Lake olympcs werent the actual events...although I got to see the paralympics mens' icesledge hockey ...amazing stuff. My fav was going to the CREED concert and hanging out at the village...all the people from allover the world...VERY COOL!

...and I havent' missed one part of the men's downhill skiing or the men's snowboarding...Shaun White...awesome stuff! BUT I have to say that the Womens Canadian Hockey team ROCKS!!!

I thought I'd catch a little olympics on TV this morning between the Gym and going to work. I flip it on, and I see Curling.

I love to watch skiing, snowboarding, and all that stuff, but I'll probably have better luck catching it on the X Games events.

I guess you can only get feed of those at night - that's when I've seen them anyway