Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Ya'll From?

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Where Ya'll From?

Just curious as to how many people in this group don't live in Utah, or moved here from other areas. From the posts, looks like there are quite a few from Michigan. I'm originally from Louisiana, moved here about 8 yrs ago, but while growing up, I spent nearly every summer in Utah (mostly the southern area) on vacation with my family. We always talked about living here permanently, and eventually we all moved to the Salt Lake area. I was the last to come out, and I now live within a 5 mile radius of all my sisters and my Mom.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

savanna - thank you for starting this page. I was probably the one that got the discussion going on another page. Thank you for setting me straight.

I am from Michigan. Grew up on the west side of Detroit and went to Cooley High School there. My wife is from East Lansing but went to college at Mercy College of Detroit. We met while I was home for the summer and she was still in school. We lived in Kalamazoo which is an awesome city.

I have never been to Louisiana. Never made it to the deep south; LA, MS, AL. Just visited the costal south, Carolinas, GA, FL, VA. If the deep south is anything like those costal states, it must be beautiful.
    scars are tattoos with better stories

Another one from Meechigan. Grew up in Northern lower Michigan and lived in Ann Arbor for several years during college.

GO BLUE!

Wife and I moved to Utah last year for adventure and love every minute. I love it back home.. but Utah rocks!

Part of the fun of being a transplant though is finding new friends and new community to share everything with.

Where in Northern lower Michigan? My parents live in Roscommon and I spent some time in Grayling. Just curious.

Grew up in Cheboygan, about 1 1/2 hours north of Roscommon. Rosco was one of our nemeses in Soccer growing up!

Derstuka is from Cheboygan too. Such a small world.

I grew up in NW Indiana, you Midwestern folks might know as "Da Region."

I spent lots of summers in Michigan; my grandparents lived in the Three Rivers area. Lots of lakes!

I moved to Utah in 1999 one week after finishing college in Indiana. I met my husband the very day I arrived in Utah. He saw my mountain bike on my car as I pulled in to the Forest Service office and said, "I've got to meet this girl!"

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by david staub
    I have never been to Louisiana. Never made it to the deep south; LA, MS, AL. Just visited the costal south, Carolinas, GA, FL, VA. If the deep south is anything like those costal states, it must be beautiful.
    It is. From the rolling hills of the northern part of the state to the sleepy bayous of the southern part. And of course, New Orleans is an entity unto itself. I hope that as the city is rebuilt, it will come back a better place with all of the original ambience. Most people think of the city as party central, and it does live up to the reputation, but it has SO much more than that to offer. I remember one Sunday afternoon going down to the French Quarter to look for a rare book for a friend's birthday. I went into this book shop across from Jackson Square which turned out to be the New Orleans residence of the author William Faulkner. No one was in the shop but me, and the owner took me all around the place showing me things that the average shopper wouldn't have been privy to. Faulkner's writing area, his desk and some personal memoirs.......it was like stepping back in time.

I've never been to Michigan, but have friends here that are from there and have seen many photos of different areas. It looks like a very beautiful place!
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Shan - your husband is a smart man. When my wife and I were dating, we took a two day canoe trip on the Au Sable River in Michigan. That trip made me decide that I could live with this woman forever. I love a woman that likes to do stuff in the out of doors

I was born in Vernal, Utah, moved to Vegas as a infant, then lived in Ca. for 25 years (Orange County).

I Moved to Utah County 6 years ago.

Looking to move out of Utah County to points south, maybe Boulder or Escalante, maybe even Kanab or Big Water.

Another Michigander here. I'm from Ann Arbor and lived there always till I moved here about three and a half years ago.

I used to come out here to hang out with a friend and climb and bike every summer here, which is kinda a funny coincidence that we ended up living here. I met my husband at a cyclocross race and he was getting ready to come and interview at the U of U for a position. I mentioned that I really liked SLC and could live here.... fortunately for me, that was the key that led him to ask me out - he didnt want to get involved with someone that wouldnt leave MI!! Well, here we are, we got married out here at Solitude and it's been the best!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by david staub
    Shan - your husband is a smart man. When my wife and I were dating, we took a two day canoe trip on the Au Sable River in Michigan. That trip made me decide that I could live with this woman forever. I love a woman that likes to do stuff in the out of doors
    There was a defining trip for him too! Backpacking in the Uintas. He said he loved me, even after no shower for 4 days!

Where Ya'll From?
    Utarrrr....

i grew up in So.Cal
    but had dreams of moving to Utah to marry a morman girl from Idaho

dreams do come true....they really really do.

Utah born and raised, right here in the center of the Salt Lake Valley. In fact I have only had three addresses in my life, the home I grew up in, the first apartment my future wife and I had (about five miles from my parents) and the first house we bought together just across the street from our apartment (before we were married, da da da!). Kind of sucks when I put it that way. That

Milwaukee is a great town. Did you own a Harley while you were there?

I was born in Boulder, CO which was a very different town then.

Lived in N. CA (near Eureka) and both coasts of FL but always ended up coming back to CO. Love the ocean but the mountains and deserts are where I really feel at home, esp. the mountains.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by dbessee
    Lived in N. CA (near Eureka)
    Interesting, I have spent some time on the redwood coast, where did you live near Eureka?

I looked at property in that area, I was leaning towards heading inland, Willow Creek to be exact, the weather in Eureka is not my cup of tea.

This reminds me of the old joke-

Why do hippies move to Arcata?

'Cause there's no jobs there.

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    Interesting, I have spent some time on the redwood coast, where did you live near Eureka?

I looked at property in that area, I was leaning towards heading inland, Willow Creek to be exact, the weather in Eureka is not my cup of tea.

This reminds me of the old joke-

Why do hippies move to Arcata?

'Cause there's no jobs there.
    I lived in Arcata, my step-dad was a mainframe programmer/operator for Humboldt County and their computer center was in Arcata rather than across the bay. Great place to live as a kid growing up in the 70's as there where huge areas of woods near town that were completely empty of people so we could run and play and make noise to our hearts' contents without fear of disturbing anyone. there were nowhere near the liability concerns that we see today and all the neighborhood kids would hike miles from town on a regular basis and noone though a thing of it. If someone got hurt so they couldn't hike out on there own someone ran to get their parents, we all knew each other's folks and noone thought anything of it.

I can see the jobs part of it, just as well from my point of view, as soon as they develop an economy there'll be developers in there tearing the place up as a real estate investment. Let the logging companies keep running tree farms up there, at least they don't try to fleece the locals out of their skins.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

I bet it was a great place in the 70s.

The sleepy econony is a plus in my eyes, the minus is the adversarial attitudes of folks I met in those parts.

Hippies and loggers at war, people protesting every excrutiating detail of public policy, pot farmers with booby traps, the love generation running mobile meth labs, and so much of the land is privately owned, reducing access to the back country, and they play hardball over trespassing.

Not quite the laid back atmosphere that it appears to be on the surface.

Very pretty country though, and I WILL go back and hike the Lost Coast.

Yes, it is pretty country. There are very few sights that exceed a storm sea crashing into Trinidad Head with the spray shooting 150' in the air.

Too bad things have gotten so contriversial, i never had a problem there as a kid and a I may have just not noticed but I don't think it was that bad when i lived there.
    Don