Thread: Stupid Hippy Earth Art

Stupid Hippy Earth Art

I recently went to northern California, on the way out of Utah I stopped at the Tree of Utah just outside of Wendover. I thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, I think it's a scar on the landscape as well. I might not feel quite so strongly about it as you do, but I certainly think it's a big waste.

Yeah, that "tree" is pretty ugly and pointless. Though I don't think "hippy" is an adjective I'd use to describe it, unless some hippy group did make it.

Definitely desert beauty!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Dude who built that isn't a hippy.

It was NOT taxpayer funded.

It IS butt ugly.

Yes, definately gives a whole new definition to UGLY and a big waste of time.. Is it on private or public property?
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Luckily that "Modern art Masterpiece" tree is so close to the freeway... otherwise it would probably be full of bulletholes.
    Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glittered in the queen's round metal hat.

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    I stand corrected.

Karl Momen is the guy who built that monstrosity, self financed, and donated to Utah. I couldn't tell who owns the land it sits on.

I said dude wasn't a hippy because I read he was born in Iran and educated in Europe, but then I see he has a house in northern Cal, so he just may be a hippy after all.

It's still ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    Actually it is taxpayer funded.... while the orginal tree was donated the state of Utah pays to maintain the tree and the site. While its probably not a big bill we do pay.....

And if I remember correctly from when the tree was first erected the land was donated by the State of Utah, which again is a form of taxpayer funding.

new tree

While we were headed towards wendover this weekend, I seen another tree has been erected just west of the hippy art tree (I think it was around mm 18) I would have taken a picture of it but didn't have my camera.

I do like this one better though somebody has went out and put up an artificial Christmas tree, looks kind of funny sitting out there all by itself.

hippies - always a cause, never a reason.
    signature

Damn, what's with the hippy hatred??
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Damn, what's with the hippy hatred??
    Hey, people call me Hippie all day long 'cuz of my hair.

Re: new tree

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    While we were headed towards wendover this weekend, I seen another tree has been erected just west of the hippy art tree (I think it was around mm 18) I would have taken a picture of it but didn't have my camera.

I do like this one better though somebody has went out and put up an artificial Christmas tree, looks kind of funny sitting out there all by itself.
    It wasn't one of those cell towers that they make to look like a tree is it? I like those things. They seem kinda stupid but you have probobly driven past a million and not known they were there.

Re: new tree

[quote="DaveOU812"]
    Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1

It wasn't one of those cell towers that they make to look like a tree is it? I like those things. They seem kinda stupid but you have probobly driven past a million and not known they were there.[/quote

I doubt it was a cell tower, it was only about 5' tall, and looked just like a christmas tree. We were doing 80 mph so who knows for sure