Thread: Close calls and near-misses

Close calls and near-misses

I've looked around a bit- forgive me if this kind of thing is listed somewhere else. I wanted to hear some experiences where you found yourself in a tight spot and wondered if you'd get out or not. What did your Jeep fall off? Where did you have to walk out of. Where were you when the weather turned to crap and visibility dropped to 5 ft. What limb did you have to wittle off when you got stuck in Bloujohn canyon?

I'll start-out with something really mild.

The first time my wife and I ever did Quandry canyon we made it through the canyon- with no problems. We had Shane's write-up of it, and it was perfect- right down to the letter. I however- am a dumbass and when I was working on the computer and the GPS before we left home- I placed an incorrect waypoint for the entrance to "the ramp" which is the easy exit canyon that gets you back through the reef to the car. We walked all over hell and back. It was 4 pm when we got out of Quandry and it was about 9 before we finally quit trying to hike over the friggin reef, and just sloshed up the muddy river back to the car. We didn't get back to the highway till 1 and since we had to be back in Salt Lake the next morning we had to make the whole drive back. We bought about $20 worth of Gatorade and Doritos at the only gas station that was open in Green River.
    It was a dumb mistake- and we have made return trips and had a blast, but man... that was a long afternoon.
    We love the things we love for what they are
    -Robert Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was coming down from the very top of Mount Olympus, and there was a storm blowing in really fast. I lost the trail but didn't really realize it, as there really isn't a well defined path coming down the rocks. I just kept going and climbing down, and very shortly i found myself surrounded by cliffs on three sides with the need to get down quickly. I ended up doing a little improv free climbing, and i'm not going to lie, it was a little bit scary, but I made it out all right. Sometimes those little adventures are the most fun part of the trips, but they definitely are scary at the moment.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into