Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Man on the Discovery Channel

Grizzly Man on the Discovery Channel

This friday, I believe at 8:00.

It's the story of Timothy Treadwell, the fella' that got himself and his girlfriend consumed during his 14th season spent among the griz.

Here is a fun quote from a review of the movie:

So enthused is he that at one point he films a bear taking a dump and with childlike softness and joy, walks over to the still steaming feces, puts his hand in it and starts proclaiming, "this was inside of her! And it came out of her butt! I can feel it, I can feel it! This poop was inside of her!"

Yeah. Right. Nice bear, pretty bear, here beary beary beary...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If I remember correctly he was once quoted as saying he "would be honored
    to become bear scat" Guess he got what he wanted.

Can you say "NUT BAR"?

Is this the actual movie that came out, or a different documentary? Do you know? I'd like to see that, actually.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

A couple of years ago I wanted to take my wife backpacking in Alaska. She did not want to go because she is extremely afraid of bears. After pestering her for weeks she asked, "What if we see a bear?" I responded, "You just run." To which she asked, "You can outrun a bear?" I calmly responded, "No, but I can outrun you."
    scars are tattoos with better stories

saw the movie on theater
    a little disappointed
    beatiful shootage of bears
    but the guy was totally insane (really really mental problems) and the doctor that do the autopsy is from some very cheap horror movie
    i was sad for the poor bear and for the girl
    they were the only 2 they they do not deserve to die
    the guy?
    was thinking that bears were little puppy to play with
    wrong
    was thinking to be a bear himself
    wrong
    was using the bear to be famous
    wrong
    was modifying nature to make better footage of the bears
    wrong

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    saw i was sad for the poor bear and for the girl
    they were the only 2 they they do not deserve to die
    the guy?
    Yes, sad indeed that two bears were shot because of both of these loons. Personally, I disagree though with feeling sad for the girl. I think that if you voluntarily live with the bears in their territory, you have already put your life at risk, and if mother-nature steps in, so be it. The girl already was taking that risk. Look at how many grizzlies/bears have been killed already because of hikers/hunters/explorers intruding onto their secluded natural habitat, or trying to kill the bear for fur/food in the first place. Many people (and the media) usually portray the person as so innocent, but maybe the animal was as well. Maybe it was just trying to protect itself or its kin.

Here in San Diego, many coyotes/cougars/bobcats have been killed just because people build houses closer and closer to their habitat (or in their habitat entirely), and they get killed simply because people complain about seeing them and that they make them nervous...even though they are living on their territory (oh, and I'm not talking about a cougar that stalks and kills people relentlessly) I mean, in those instances, where are the animals supposed to go because of this habitat encroachment by humans?

If a cougar gets my ass while riding, I guess might have had it coming. I won't be enthusiastic about getting killed/eaten, but may be my own fault in the first place. I think I need some more bear spray!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

that is why I tie a tin cup to my backpack while hiking in the back country, or sing or whistle while hiking. We are intruding on their territory and most attacks occur when we surprise them. If they hear us coming, they usually get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Is this the actual movie that came out, or a different documentary? Do you know? I'd like to see that, actually.
    I looked it up and it is the documentary by Werner Herzog that was in the movie theaters last year. It shows tomorrow and Saturday at 6:00pm and then again right after at 9:00pm on the Discovery Channel. (but check your local listings for the exact time in your area)

An amazing piece of work that dives deep into the heart of a man. You sh*theads should really watch it before passing your internet forum judgment on the guy. And for the record no one "deserves" to be eaten by a bear, no matter how crazy you think they are. If your take is that he was playing with fire and was just a matter of time before he was burned, then don't forget that woman that was eaten with him came along willingly with him to the Alaskan wilderness to play with fire.

One more point for those of you that cry for the bear that died, that bear was shot as it aggressively charged the ranger that was called on the scene of the attack of Tidwell and his girlfriend. If any of you were at a site where a bear had just eaten two people and a bear charged you, you wouldn't think twice about blowing that bear away. If you say otherwise you would be lying.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I looked it up and it is the documentary by Werner Herzog that was in the movie theaters last year. It shows tomorrow and Saturday at 6:00pm and then again right after at 9:00pm on the Discovery Channel. (but check your local listings for the exact time in your area)

An amazing piece of work that dives deep into the heart of a man. You sh*theads should really watch it before passing your internet forum judgment on the guy. And for the record no one "deserves" to be eaten by a bear, no matter how crazy you think they are. If your take is that he was playing with fire and was just a matter of time before he was burned, then don't forget that woman that was eaten with him came along willingly with him to the Alaskan wilderness to play with fire.

One more point for those of you that cry for the bear that died, that bear was shot as it aggressively charged the ranger that was called on the scene of the attack of Tidwell and his girlfriend. If any of you were at a site where a bear had just eaten two people and a bear charged you, you would think twice about blowing that bear away. If you say otherwise you would be lying.

James
    tottally disagree
    i saw the movie
    the girl DID NOT WANT GO the guy told her to go that was safe
    nd she died try to save tha guy life (watch the movie again)

and for the movie SHE WAS SCARED TO DEATH by the bears
    watch the movie again
    That was a place were bears live and no HUMANS
    so the guy arrive with a plane off course the bear was scared
    and when you enter in a animal habitat and you get close to a bear usually bear attack
    again the is a reservation not a turistic parks for humans
    and com on a guy that sleep with a teddy bear and says "I am a bear too"
    again I am a biologist and the guy tottally disrupt the animals habitat changing the river flow to help the bears fishing
    how you call that?
    by the way if i jump from a 5 floors building and i died
    my parents will says that i deserve itand they will not have piety for my stupidity
    here in USA they will says that i was a brave person
    sorry in europe we still know that bears are dangerous and can kill and you do not play little kitty cat with them.
    but seems here people still think the jogy bear from yellowstone cartoon is real!!!

One more point for those of you that cry for the bear that died, that bear was shot as it aggressively charged the ranger that was called on the scene of the attack of Tidwell and his girlfriend.
    James
    Some folks who are familiar with those bears don't believe the large male (141) killed at the scene actually killed those two people, they believe 141 chased off the smaller male responsible for the deaths, taking away a kill in 141s own territory.

141 charged because he was aggressively protecting his cache, standard brown bear behavior, even Treadwell wouldn't be dumb enough to approach a griz protecting a fresh kill.

He brainwashed that girl with his disneyesque philosophy, it is a free country, she made her own choices, but Treadwell made that girl pay for her naivete with her life. What really gets me is that he called for help during the attack, if he told her to escape she may have been able to do just that, instead she tried to help, and got killed.

Every time a bear attack is reported, or a bear is killed in self defense, there will be a rash of bear shootings as people react to the reports.

Treadwell probably triggered a response that killed a couple dozen bears in the north country in the following months.

Quote from a ranger to Treadwell, long before the attack: "If my staff has to kill a bear because of you, we will never forgive you".

So we know what the rangers think, no matter what they are saying now.

One thing I find humorous, if you visit the website of the group Treadwell started, grizzlypeople, there are instructions for bear country behavior on the opening page. If Treadwell had followed his own advice, he would still be in the wild, perpetrating his myths, acclimating bears to humans, continuing the damage he caused the browns.

Side note: There was a Russian version of Treadwell, he lasted 25 seasons with the browns in Kamchatka before being killed a few months after Treadwell.

Quote Originally Posted by david staub
    that is why I tie a tin cup to my backpack while hiking in the back country, or sing or whistle while hiking. We are intruding on their territory and most attacks occur when we surprise them. If they hear us coming, they usually get out of the way.
    Yeah, great point. I used to have a couple bells on my previous camelbak, but they must have fell off when I stacked or something. I think I am gonna have to stop at Petco to pick up another dog bell for it.
    ~Jason

Again you guys totally miss my point. I am not trying to defend the guy

I saw some program on tv recently about animals and animal attacks. they showed a segment about a trained (really?) bear that was on some type of tv program. I think he was sitting in a chair. A woman sat down next to him and when the bear looked over and noticed her there, he attacked. Fortunately, he had a muzzle on. But he did attack with claws. I still believe that when these animals are surprised or there is something out of the ordinary for them, they attack. We are guests when we go into their habitat and just need to announce our presence.

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]
    Equating his death to suicide is ignorant. Do you think your parents would say you deserved to die if you were rockclimbing and an anchor pulled out of the rock and you fell to your death? Would they say,

were I grow up keychain-biners and regular quicklink they do not say nothing
    here in USA they have to write "NOT FOR CLIMB" to avoid dumb brainless people to climb on them.
    here they have also to tell you that petting a bear is dangerous ,climbing is dangerous ,shower with your haidryer on is dangerous.

you do not know that?
    Stupid people are all over the world. It just so happens that the USA is a very lawsuit happy country, and since many people don't like to take personal responsibility for their actions, they have to put up signs to try and limit their liability. Many people come here from other countries, and jump on the bandwagon once they realize how easy it can be win a lawsuit for ridiculous things. Same reason your car has so many warning labels, as well a cup of coffee from McDonalds, a toaster, etc, etc...

I wouldn't doubt if the entire city of New Orleans is going to have a warning sign from now on. WARNING: THIS TOWN IS ESSENTIALLY ONE GIANT LEAKY BATHTUB AND MAY FLOOD AT ANYTIME!

Why worry when you can sue??? Sit back and blame somebody else for it, its much easier, AND rewarding!
    ~Jason

playing kitty kat with a wild bear and pet him=SUICIDAL THOUGHT

my parents if i die canyoneering /climbing/rafting :they will think I look for that and they think i am stupid (and agree with them but in utah there are no beaches to lounge on )
    that is why i try to be extra safe in all the dangerous activities i do
    like never force my limits, always choose careful my partners and discarde the testosterone driven one.
    I do not have to demonstrate nothing to nobody and if I do not feel right i back off

were I grow up keychain-biners and regular quicklink they do not say nothing
    here in USA they have to write "NOT FOR CLIMB" to avoid dumb brainless people to climb on them.
    here they have also to tell you that petting a bear is dangerous ,climbing is dangerous ,shower with your haidryer on is dangerous.

you do not know that?
    I guess the launguage barrier is too big, or you're just a dumbas*. You continue to miss my point. You almost had it when you said:

I do not have to demonstrate nothing to nobody and if I do not feel right i back off
    So I will just agree with you and say...

that gu yis STUPD and be
    ar SHOULD have killedhim
    but bear not die

James

that gu yis STUPD and be
    ar SHOULD have killedhim
    but bear not die
    James
    translation: that guy is STUPD and bear SHOULD have killed him
    but bear not die
    yes the guy was stupid
    and that the bear was just doing bear-thing (looking for food)
    and just because was being a bear and not a Disney character got killed
    you know i will stay far away from bears
    I think they will love to have an Italian dinner

by the way
    you're just a dumbas*.
    sound a little offensive to me
    dumb ass= Noun. An idiot. [Orig. U.S.]
    Adj. Idiotic, stupid.
    se mai sei tu un idiota totale che si crede chissa` chi
    ma va a farti benedire stronzetto

I guess the launguage barrier is too big, or you're just a dumbas*. You continue to miss my point. You almost had it when you said:

James
    WOW...FLAG ON THE PLAY!!! CAN I GET A REFEREE IN HERE???
    ~Jason

se mai sei tu un idiota totale che si crede chissa` chi
    ma va a farti benedire stronzetto
    Too bad Babelfish isn't great at translating Italian:

"if never six you an idiot total that believes chissa who but it goes it makes you to bless stronzetto"

Now I just need to know what "chissa" and "stronzetto" are...