Thread: TR- San Juan Trail (San Juan Capistrano, Orange County, CA)

TR- San Juan Trail (San Juan Capistrano, Orange County, CA)

Thought I would share some photos of a recent adventure. This trail is in the mountains of Orange County, CA, and is quite spectacular. Most of you Utahans will never ride this trail, or know where it is at, but I figured that I would share anyways. You get to it by driving down the Ortega Hwy from for about 10 miles from Interstate 5 in San Juan Capistrano. You make a left at the first Ranger/Fire Station and drive down the dirt road behind it for about 2 miles. The first parking lot is the trailhead for San Juan Trail. I have ridden it many times, but this is the first time that I rode it climbing up. We normally shuttle it (because most want to) but I wanted to climb it this time. It has around 30 switchbacks on it, and many are right on the edge of a gnarly cliff...and many are very difficult to make. In some of the pictures can see some of the switchbacks towards the end. The penalty for failure can be high in certain areas. On my climb up, it was a death march of 7.5 miles of pretty much non-stop climbing (over 2000 ft according to my GPS), then I went for extra credit and went another 2 miles past that. You can make this a loop and keep riding this trail all the way around until it comes back to the "cocktail rocks" break area. Then comes the fun part. I turned around and bombed down all of the uphill that I climbed. Miles and miles of it! It is one of my favorite rides and really tests your skill on the switchbacks and gnarly corners. You will have a extremely pumped arms/hands, and a huge sh*t-eating grin about a mile wide once you reach the bottom. You can see the ocean in some of the pictures as well.

Here are some photos. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images                           
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That weather makes me sick! Look at my current view out of the back of the office. http://208.187.200.38/axis-cgi/mjpg/...=1138819722178

Good pictures and looks like a cool ride. Where is the AC/DC jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    That weather makes me sick! Look at my current view out of the back of the office. http://208.187.200.38/axis-cgi/mjpg/...=1138819722178

Good pictures and looks like a cool ride. Where is the AC/DC jersey?
    Ahhhh...I actually haven't worn the old girl (AC/DC) for a couple of weeks because the thing is "almost" too small. Sad, because I love it, but I should have gotten a larger one. I tried it on, and it felt fine, but I should have gone bigger because it needs to be longer to cover my waist more.

Tip: Always buy larger than you normally wear when buying bicycle jerseys.

Did you check out those links I gave you awhile back for the different AC/DC jerseys? Are you thinking of making a purchase, or have you already?

BTW, yes it was "horrible" weather that day, as you can see from the pictures...
    ~Jason

Thanks for the pics, Jason, I grew up in OC, and those hills were my stomping grounds.

I haven't been on that SJC trail, it looks brutal.

The favorite trip I've taken down there is Silverado Canyon up and over Cleveland Peak to Ortega Hwy.

There is also a nice waterfall on the Holy Jim trail, out of Trabuco Canyon.

See any rattlesnakes on your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    Thanks for the pics, Jason, I grew up in OC, and those hills were my stomping grounds.

I haven't been on that SJC trail, it looks brutal.

The favorite trip I've taken down there is Silverado Canyon up and over Cleveland Peak to Ortega Hwy.

There is also a nice waterfall on the Holy Jim trail, out of Trabuco Canyon.

See any rattlesnakes on your trip?
    Hey Donny,

I have been meaning to try that Trabuco canyon route. Can you tell me if the majority of the route/trail you described is fire-road, or single-track?

...and no, no snakies on the trail. Did see lots of lizards, hawks, and some raccoons though. I was just glad that no mountain lions had me for lunch.
    ~Jason

No snakies huh? You KNOW I really wanted to ask you about cougars, but didn't want to bring on a big-kitty-curse or anything.

Although, the most dangerous animals I ever saw up there were me and my friends.

The Holy Jim trail is single track, after access by a dirt road with creek crossings, the falls are 5 miles from the trailhead, the trail continues past the falls.

I happen to have a spare map of the area, Frankos map of the Santa Ana mountains, it's yours if you like, send me an address and I'll drop it in the mail, it's a great map, and tough to find.

joeblow420 at mail dot com

Man, check out all those switchbacks! Nice work on the pictures.

I'll bet there's not much down time because of snow.

Hey, did you see we'll be in St George in 2-1/2 weeks? You're welcome to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Man, check out all those switchbacks! Nice work on the pictures.

I'll bet there's not much down time because of snow.

Hey, did you see we'll be in St George in 2-1/2 weeks? You're welcome to join us.
    Yeah, I noticed the thread for St. George. Have to see about making that date. I know you guys are eager to try some other trails than I wanted to though. I can see that though, need to try something new.

Doesn't really ever snow there/here except on rare, rare occasions. It can get damn cold in the mornings (brrrrrrrrrrrrrr....) though! That trail would be pretty crazy if it ever snowed!
    ~Jason

No snakies huh? You KNOW I really wanted to ask you about cougars, but didn't want to bring on a big-kitty-curse or anything.

Although, the most dangerous animals I ever saw up there were me and my friends.

The Holy Jim trail is single track, after access by a dirt road with creek crossings, the falls are 5 miles from the trailhead, the trail continues past the falls.

I happen to have a spare map of the area, Frankos map of the Santa Ana mountains, it's yours if you like, send me an address and I'll drop it in the mail, it's a great map, and tough to find.

joeblow420 at mail dot com
    No, no snakies at all. I do sometimes get the feeling that I am being watched by a pair of eyes though. The mountain lion that killed that guy and attacked that other lady and guy was in this mtn range somewhere. Happened a couple of years ago. Would be an interesting fight/struggle I would say!

I might have to swipe that map from you if you don't mind parting with it.
    ~Jason

The map is yours, Jason.

That attack was at Rattlesnake Hill, near Whiting Ranch, near Trabuco Canyon road and El Toro Road, also that intersection has a bar called Cooks Corner, a landmark, it is the only biker roadhouse left in OC, good grub.

I found Frankos maps:

http://www.frankosmaps.com/Santa_Ana_Mountains.htm

They have a bunch of maps for the area, kinda' cool, I had only seen the one.

Make sure you send your address, Jason, the map really is a spare, I have a habit of spur-of-the-moment trips that result in buying the same map multiple times.

I found Frankos maps:

http://www.frankosmaps.com/Santa_Ana_Mountains.htm

They have a bunch of maps for the area, kinda' cool, I had only seen the one.

Make sure you send your address, Jason, the map really is a spare, I have a habit of spur-of-the-moment trips that result in buying the same map multiple times.
    Thanks for the tips Donny! I'll have to try "Cooks Corner" sometime as well. We might be doing San Juan again this weekend on Saturday. I held off riding last weekend because I got a bad batch of poison oak that doesn't want to go away.
    ~Jason

Donny:

Thanks a lot for sending the map to me. This baby is gonna be hella useful. I owe ya one buddy!

~Jason

Man, it seems like I am finding a never-ending supply of pictures for San Juan now. I don't even ride it often really. These pictures were found on Rock Mtb's website. They are a Christian group, and a buddy of mine is a member, so I have tagged along on occasion. I will say, this ride was WAY too large. Close to 30 people total, and it took forever to finish the ride because of all of the constant stops.
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    ~Jason

I saw the guy taking a rest on the ground. That's funny. Must have been held up there for a while.

Thanks for the pics, man. We're always interested in what the trails are like out of state, too.