Thread: Grandeur Peak

Grandeur Peak

I'm planning on hiking Grandeur peak sometime in the next few weeks and I was wondering if anybody has any tips and/or comments about this hike. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like there will be any major surprises, but I thought I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've climbed Grandeur many times. It's a great winter hike. What route are you planning to use, West Ridge or Church Fork? Here is a route description of both if you need it.

Mount Grandeur
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/grandeur.htm

About 6 years ago I climbed Grandeur and was standing on the summit, during a snow storm, to celebrate News Years. That was a very memorable climb. Had a bottle of wine on the summit at midnight as we watched fireworks go off in the valley.

Never done it in winter, but I'm sure it will be pretty straightforward. I usually do it in the early spring when I'm itching to get out in the warm weather. I don't think I've ever done it without at least some snow up top. Basically you hike through pine trees along a stream at first, then it turns to switchbacks on a shrub covered slope where the views of Mt Olympus and and the peaks and cliffs behind it get better and better the higher you climb. Once you hit the ridge you can see the peak. I think the official trail curves around or something making it a more gradual climb, but like I said there is always snow up there when I go so we usually just head straight up the snow to the peak. The view from the top of course is very good for the small amount of effort (compared to other taller wasatch peaks) involved.

Eric.

Hey, I was just checking out my Grandeur pictures and it was

NEW YEARS 2000!!!!

That was a biggy as New Years go..... remember all the predictions of death and destruction because of Y2K.... gosh.... that was sure a yawner after all the hype

Maybe I climbed so we could watch all the airplanes fall out of the sky and buildings tumble to the ground

I remember that sure was good wine, my friend Greg nicked his wifes best stuff .... also remeber I stumbled a little on the way down the mountain

Thanks for the info you guys. I'll probably use the Church Fork trailhead. Sounds like it might be a better winter option. Do you have to pay to get up Millcreek in the winter time?

Nice pics Iceaxe. I'm sure it would have been a crazy view had things really gone to pot after the clock hit midnight.

$2.25 on the way out of the canyon...or buy a $20 yearly pass, this way you have a reason to go up there more often

You might consider bringing some trekking poles, if you have them, it is steep in spots in the beginning, and the rocks can get slippery as you approach the top - poles might be nice for keeping your balance and such.

It's a very straightforward hike, and really gorgeous.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I got a pair of trekking poles a few months ago and I really like them. I climbed Frary Peak on Antelope island last week and they really helped out in the snow. Thanks for the tip. That $20 pass sounds like a good idea too. There are a ton of good bike trails up there.

Yeah.... trekking poles are really useful for winter hiking.

I think the West Ridge is easiest in winter. Biggest reason is its often snow free for the first half of the hike. Using Church Fork you will be hiking in snow from the git-go.

A friend and I hiked to the top last weekend from the church forks trailhead.
    I'd never hiked it with 100% snow cover before, but it was fun! It had been a few days since fresh snow so you really didn't need snowshoes till the final 1/4-1/2 mile where it gets steep. The trekking poles will help a lot though, especially if you don't have snowshoes.

It turned very blustery by the time we reached the top so there wasn't a view, but it's still a great feeling to hit the top. Kinda like reaching Everest in our own little way

Bring a thermos of hot chocolate and you'll be grateful when you summit. (especially with a little of Treehugger's 'moonshined' Kahlua)

Have fun, it's a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker

Bring a thermos of hot chocolate and you'll be grateful when you summit. (especially with a little of Treehugger's 'moonshined' Kahlua)

!
    Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Great idea!! (glad you're enjoying it!!)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Thanks everybody for your input on this thread. My brother and I climbed Grandeur this past Saturday and had a great time. The weather was awesome and the views were great. Here are some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very nice! Any more pics? Put 'em up here if you do. Those are great!

Here are a few more... by the way, I love the new avatar Sombeech.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by tatwood
    I love the new avatar Sombeech.
    I aim to please. This (Matt Foley) is one of my favorites that I keep switching back and forth to. I actually created/animated it.

How do you create one like that? I might have to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by tatwood
    How do you create one like that? I might have to give it a try.
    You can get a GIF Animator program. I think just do a search for "GIF Animator".

Here's the thread with a bunch of my avatars, and I explained a little there:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=947

Looks like you guys had great weather. Thanks for the pics.