Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for slow, fat riding partners in Northern Utah

Looking for slow, fat riding partners in Northern Utah

Hi everyone,

I say this every year, but this year I really mean it! I want to get in shape and do more riding and hiking this year. It's a lot easier to train if you have a group of people depending on you, but everytime I get in a group ride, they all end up waiting for me. Aren't there any slower, less lean riders around? I live up in Tremonton, but I will travel anywhere in Northern Utah for evening/weekend rides. I like to ride aggressive XC, but I have a short-travel freeride bike, and (god-forbid) an old Specialized road bike, so I'm up for any type of ride. If you are looking for a slow riding partner and some additional motivation, then I'm your guy...send me a message.
    You won't think you're so clever, when you hear thunder underground...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

http://www.cvveloists.org/

We're a "touring" club and advocacy group located just over the mountain from you. Very few of us do any racing and half of the road rides are around 30 miles at a 16 mph pace. They're what we call "C" rated rides. The "B" rated rides are more like 50 miles at a 18 mph pace.

There is at least one ride every month that calls for my racing bike but I ride a near 30 lb. cross/touring rig most of the time. The 52 mile "Tour de Wellsvilles" ride from Wellsville to Brigham, north through Honeyville, around to Mendon and back to Wellsville will be early in July.

Mountain rides are only scheduled once or twice a month and the turnout is unpredictable. Sometimes a fast crowd, sometimes a big crowd, sometimes not. The first one is usually the relatively tame River Trail in April. It may not rain, but there will be mud.

Watch out for Nolan. He doesn't look like he should be that fast.

fat slow rider, aka Sombeech.

Hey, I live in Clinton, work in the Ogden area. I missed a bunch of group rides due to school, but I've just graduated.

Let's get something together! I know that fourtycal is usually riding every Tuesday night (I'm not sure about right now). But, we could join them, or do something on our own this side of SLC.

live2ride has been trying to ride with me also, and I think he's in the Layton area. Chivato and KillEmAll are in the area as well.

Now, where to ride?

Let's do it!!

There are plenty of trails around. I'm partial to the Maples Loop in Ogden and the Mud Flats Loop in Logan, but I'll ride anywhere. I don't mind driving to the trail, and I don't mind walking a little once I get to the trail. Early season trails are a little limited, but Antelope Island, Bonneville Shoreline, Logan River trail all melt out pretty early. I'd love to have a weekly ride (as a minimum). My work schedule is pretty flexible, so I can leave a little early if necessary. Let's get a group together and make a plan! I'm taking the freeride bike to Bootleg Canyon over President's Day weekend...maybe that would be a good chance to get together and meet everyone?

I live in Syracuse and like to do the northern rides also. When the weather gets better, lets get together.

Eddy

I've done Antelope Island recently, and Bonneville shoreline many times. I'd like to do Logan River trail, as I've never done it before. How is it right now?

I'm in for whatever. Me(old slow and fat) and a couple of youngsters ride every tuesday afternoon during the summer (time change to time change) it has turned into friday night snowboarding during the winter. If you guys set up a further up north winter ride let me know. I don't do skinny tire rides but anything else and I'm game(even if I am gasping for air).

You know I'm there anytime I can get there. I ride with fourtycal whenever we can...when our wives let us or not.

Still snowed under, unfortunately. We also have some other lower trails, but they are all still under the white stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I've done Antelope Island recently, and Bonneville shoreline many times. I'd like to do Logan River trail, as I've never done it before. How is it right now?

I was riding with Fourty's boys on some Tuesdays and Sombeech's misfits on other days this past summer. Sounds like we will have some good groups this coming summer. Looking fw'd to meeting up with some of you new peeps this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I'd like to do Logan River trail
    The Logan River trail will remain a snowshoeing trail for at least another month. Until the deer fence trails begin to thaw, there is no mountain biking here in Cache Valley. I'm usually able to do a little snow biking, but the conditions have been too soft on every trail I've done lately. It's too bad the girl I'm heading to St. George with next month is strictly a roadie.

I'm not fat or slow but I'm not an aggessive rider either. Spending time on the outside of the asylum is what it's all about. There are more than a few less experienced riders up here who find me very accomodating and trust me to pick trails that won't have them in over their heads.

I'd love to take in some of the trails above Ogden, on the other side of the Wellsvilles, out near Promontory, and around Bear Lake, Malad, Lava, etc. There are also a few trails up here I've never gotten around to doing. Nobody ever wants to ride Stump Hollow on one of my free weekends. Card Canyon is just technical enough to have my usual riding partners intimidated. There are plenty of others.

I generally need at least 48 hours notice. By Friday afternoon, I've usually committed to doing something with someone on Saturday. Every other Sunday is usually open for me as well. Although you have to join to be a ride leader, the CV Veloists could use some Tremonton or Ogden area rides on their schedule too.

Not much riding on the west side of the Wellsvilles...

All of the access on the west side of the Wellsvilles is private, and the mountains are too steep anyway. About the only riding over here is out by the Golden Spike Monument, and it is mostly dirt road. A good early season ride over here is to park at the Monument headquarters and follow the west tour loop...ride the gravel road out 9 miles and then follow the railroad bed back. There is a short loop in the foothills in Brigham, and you used to be able to ride the "I" road in Perry, which I imagine you still can. The return route was along the canal, which was infested with thorns, though...Slime in the tires was a must. The Golden Spike loop is pretty much at lake level, so it stays melted out...most of the year.

Hey Acca, did I ride with you & Fourtycal this last year - maybe across Wasatch Crest or Little Cottonwood? I was the nut on the downhill bike & pads on Wasatch Crest bombing down with Fourtycal...the mind goes funny when you get old

I am not sure, but I don't think so? The only guy bombing with fourty was me. We trade off eating each others dust. Just follow the back tire through the smoke and hope for the best.

Well, Looking forward to riding this year anyway

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Well, Looking forward to riding this year anyway
    Yup, we will have to hook up.

Count me in, Like somebeech said I live in Layton and am willing to go anywhere to ride, also anyone interested in trying out some night riding I have an extra nightrider with a helmet mount if anyone would like to take a stab at it this year, night riding adds a whole new dimention to biking and it is a blast. I try to ride 4 times a week in the summer and always ride every sat morning usually at snowbasin. Lets make this happen, I am looking forward to riding soon!!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I've heard night riding is really good, if you have the right gear. There's nobody on the trail.

I have some good lights, that is the key, don't go cheap and you can't get away with riding on a 20 dollar light from the bike shop. I have a spare if you want to come along on a night ride. Mueller is awesome in the night, no crowd, your light lights up the entire trail, it makes for some good rides.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

You're officially in...I feel like we should have t-shirts or something! I'm jonesing for some trails pretty bad...so bad, in fact, that I'm considering riding out on Antelope Island this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Count me in, Like somebeech said I live in Layton and am willing to go anywhere to ride