Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing & Uploading your pictures

Resizing & Uploading your pictures

First of all, I'd like to say we've got some pretty cool pictures on this forum. Thanks everybody!

I've ran into a few users who are a little "shy" about posting pics, because they don't know how to size it correctly. We can understand that this forum is getting big, and it can be hard to find the instructions and tips sometimes, among all of the topics. Although this has been discussed before, I've found some more cool tools to use.

The desired size for uploaded, or even hotlinked pictures, is 800 X 600 pixels or below. Just to give you an idea, this image below is at 615 X 461 pixels.

Much bigger than this, and you'll find yourself using the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom to get side to side, which can be annoying.

OK, image tools I've found useful: I used to utilize "Microsoft Paint" for all of my resizing. It can take just a minute, but I got very fluent with it. That is, until I found the Image Resizer PowerToy today. Click the link below, it is the link to the exe file.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
    Download and install it. This tool will allow you to select multiple pictures at once, and choose the size you want. See the pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So, take the superfine quality pictures, and easily resize them in about 10-15 seconds, all at once.

Now, don't like the way the photo turned out? This next too is especially for the "non digital" camera users out there. I'm empathatic with you. 70% of my photos on here are before I went digital.

Let me introduce you to Picasa. http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Basically, this is a great free photo touch up tool.

The photos below are a little extreme, and hairy, but Picasa is an easy way to brighten up the photos. It's really easy.

And now, how to upload your pictures here.

People are afraid, but that's OK. Take my hand, and I'll try to be gentle.

1. You've got the pics on your PC, through scanning them, CD, or right from your camera.
    2. You've resized them to 800 X 600 or smaller, in JPG format.
    3. You're dying to share them with the world.

One thing to remember, if you have more than one picture to upload on one post, the first one you select will be LAST in order. So, select the LAST picture that you want in the sequence, FIRST. If you have 3 pictures, upload the third, then second, then first.

If you're unsure about how it's going to look, you ALWAYS have your friendly little "preview" button to show you exactly how it will look.

See the image below.

OK, I'm done with my schpill.

Anybody have any cool picture/image editting tools out there? I can't believe how long I've been using Paint! That took me at the least 30 seconds per pic, but multiply that by 100 at a time.

No more!

That Resizer PowerToy is sweet, as is Picasa - both free.

The most common tweaks to pictures can be handled by Picasa, but if you want to do more try the GIMP (Graphic Image Manipulation Program - yes, it is an unfortunate acronym). GIMP can do most things Photoshop can, but it's free and a bit less easy to use. It started life as a Linux program, but there is also a Windows version. www.gimp.org

There is an excellent and free on-line book to learn the GIMP: Grokking the GIMP

I use GIMP for almost all of my digital images. Correct the colors, sharpen, repair defects with the clone tool, crop to size (i.e. 4x6), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KanyonKris
    The most common tweaks to pictures can be handled by Picasa, but if you want to do more try the GIMP (Graphic Image Manipulation Program - yes, it is an unfortunate acronym).
    Yeah, accadacca keeps trying to convert me to GIMP. I just haven't gotten there yet.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

For all the newcomers who haven't used this tool yet.

fwiw, I just got the latest Photoshop Elements 5 off ebay, OEM cd for ~35.00, shipped from Rockville, Utah (Seller: eyelet_crazy)

amazing program, incredible price for legit version, IMO
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

MAC and IPhoto - only way to go!

Uploading pics

Ok I resized the pic, now the error I get is could not attach the attachment then it listed my file name? I would like to upload pics but I am struggling.
    Mark

Posting Pictures

I am trying again maybe figured out what I was doing wrong. Pic of kids rappelling uranium arch moab.

Looks like it worked! Nice pic!

Hey Sombeech/Acca:

I've been working on a phpBB forum, setting one up, and I love the photo upload Mod here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=381282

Automatically resizes, and the photos are inline with the text, not at the end.

I've also installed the Attachments mod, (we'll need to share other documents on my board) and I was thinking that it would be nice if we could set the photos displayed in the order you upload them, rather than in reverse order. (i.e. Ascending in the Attachment Display Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Looks like it worked! Nice pic!

Hey Sombeech/Acca:

I've been working on a phpBB forum, setting one up, and I love the photo upload Mod here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=381282

Automatically resizes, and the photos are inline with the text, not at the end.

I've also installed the Attachments mod, (we'll need to share other documents on my board) and I was thinking that it would be nice if we could set the photos displayed in the order you upload them, rather than in reverse order. (i.e. Ascending in the Attachment Display Order)
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Sombeech - where can I catch a fish like that? I gave up fishing in Utah, all I catch are muddy tasting hatchery raised trout.....show me a real fish!

Quote Originally Posted by fireuseman
    Sombeech - where can I catch a fish like that? I gave up fishing in Utah, all I catch are muddy tasting hatchery raised trout.....show me a real fish!
    Wind Rivers.

Re: Posting Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    I am trying again maybe figured out what I was doing wrong. Pic of kids rappelling uranium arch moab.
    Where is this arch? I did one that looks similar after Medieval Chamber, and never knew the name of the arch, just wondering if that is the same one

Jeff, that is Morning Glory arch in your picture. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where uranium is...

BTW, welcome to the forum, sweet webpage

So now that I am running Vista the resizer PowerToy nolonger works.

Is there any other way to resize multiple images out there? Any suggestions for other fast resizing options?

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    So now that I am running Vista the resizer PowerToy nolonger works.

Is there any other way to resize multiple images out there? Any suggestions for other fast resizing options?

James
    Uninstall Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Jeff, that is Morning Glory arch in your picture. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where uranium is...

BTW, welcome to the forum, sweet webpage
    Uranium Arch is on sevenmile rim. About 40 feet high.